Given Tamiflu but scared to take it

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
catherine
Forum Moderator

Re : Given Tamiflu but scared to take it

Postby catherine » Mon Sep 28, 2009 08:57 pm

Suzanne, maybe this recent piece from the NYT will help you feel better about deciding .

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/29/healt ... 9essa.html

Actually, the points raised in the Op Ed also apply to anti-hypertensive drugs etc.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 08:21 pm

How are you feeling today? I'm sos orry to hear you have gotten swine flu! I hope you have taken the Tamiflu! I think I would for sure take it in this stuation!

ladybug76135

Postby ladybug76135 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 06:40 pm

Over 90% of all flu cases here in Texas are H1N1. They've quit even doing the secondary testing in our area (Fort Worth) unless the patient is hospitalized as they just cannot keep up with the demand.

Please stay healthy!

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Fri Sep 25, 2009 08:39 pm

I would take it - my MFM told me I will get a prophylatic dose from coming in contact with any one with SUSPECTED swine flu. He was adament. Pregnant women are so at risk - I would take it.

Glad you found a thimerasol free vaccine :)

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Fri Sep 25, 2009 08:07 pm

Thanks, Kara and Catherine - I will go ahead and take it. I just spoke with the mom of the kids and she was told today by the doctor that they are pretty sure it's H1N1. I knew you girls would help me make the right decision :)

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Fri Sep 25, 2009 07:41 pm

Bear in mind that Tamiflu is only effective if taken within the first 48 hours. So delay renders its benefit useless.

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Fri Sep 25, 2009 05:22 pm

Thanks, Heather. Hannah now has a fever :(

I am taking her to see her pediatrician tomorrow since they are open in the morning. I guess I'll go ahead and pick up the Tamiflu. She will probably get her own prescription tomorrow.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Fri Sep 25, 2009 05:17 pm

Since many of the deaths related to swine flu or H1N1 as they are calling it now, were pregnant women, I would guess that this is a benefit vs. risk situation. It is a Class "C" drug - and there are lots of other C drugs we are given, certain BP meds, Mylanta, Tums, that are Class C.

If you wait too long to take it, and it is H1N1, then it may not be as helpful, and you may get gravely ill. I don't think your OB would have prescribed it if he didn't think it were worth the risks.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Fri Sep 25, 2009 05:06 pm

Nicolas came down with the flu when I was pregnant with Ella (I think I was a little past five months). He had a positive swab at the peds and the next morning I started with a fever. My MFM scripted Tamiflu as well. I was none too pleased about taking it either (in fact, you can probably search for *that* post - I wrote one, too! LOL.). Anyway, I did take it. My cousin is a pharmacist and after talking with him and my MFM, we all decided it was riskier to actually *have* the flu, then to take the meds. Of course, this is your decision - that was just the choice I made at the time.

You could wait until you begin to show symptoms - as long as you take it withing (I think!!!) the first 24-48 hours of symptoms, it will still lessen the effects.

Hoping you don't need it!

hannahsmom

Given Tamiflu but scared to take it

Postby hannahsmom » Fri Sep 25, 2009 04:45 pm

First off, I got my flu shot today - I was able to find one that was preservative free, so that made me feel better. I saw my OB today and bp was good, thank goodness, and no protein! Woohoo! She said she expects my bp to rise at 32 weeks, so I guess we'll see. But anyway, I told her that our neighbor kids had been playing at our house right before being diagnosed with Influenza type A. There was a report in our newspaper that said 99% of cases of this type of flu in our area are the Swine Flu. They had samples sent off for the kids but it will be a while before the results come in. I have had a sore throat off and on and have a slight fever this afternoon. My OB went ahead and gave me a prescription for Tamiflu, but the pharmacist told me that it crosses the placenta, so I am a bit freaked out. If I for sure had the swine flu, I would take it. But since we don't know, I am scared to take it. I went ahead and had it filled but I haven't picked it up. Plus my insurance isn't paying very much so I have to shell out $60 for it after paying $200 for my Lovenox shots this week. Ohhh....what to do! Why is everything always so complicated??!!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”