Afraid to try again...and confused

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
kellikbock

Re : Afraid to try again...and confused

Postby kellikbock » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:18 pm

Wow, that is so interesting. I've never heard that before. I will put it on my list of things to ask! Thanks!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Sep 02, 2009 01:47 pm

One thing that you might want to talk to your peri about is the possibility that your risk for PE was being picked up by the quad screen.

There's some new research data that shows that elevated markers in the quad screen, with a genetically normal fetus, might well mean increased risk for PE -- they're still trying to sort it out, and whether or not it's statistically signifcant and how to weight it with other factors to use it as a screening test.

Since the quad screen is supposed to sort people into higher and lower-risk groups anyway, if it sorts women into a group where they need a peri consult, there ought to be discussion of risk of PE as well as risk of chromosomal abnormalities, at least in the future, now that they've noticed this association.

Hope this helps. :-)

kellikbock

Postby kellikbock » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:34 am

Well, I took the first step. I made an appointment with my previous peri. I went to him last time because our chrom. screening came back abnormal, but all turned out fine). I made it far in advance, mid Oct. just in case I want to back out. I feel like I may open another can of worms, again. Can't have your cake and eat it too....Thanks everyone for your help. Women really need to be more informed about PP Pre. as well...it was so scary, and I didn't know it was even possible to have!

cheleandcallidora

Postby cheleandcallidora » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:26 am

I agree with the others. If it were me I would see a few OBs and an MFM and talk about what they would do the next time for you. Then talk it over with your DH and make a decision that you are both comfortable with. It is a very hard decision to make and I encourage you to take your time. I wish you the best! Good luck with everything. HUGS!

adgirl

Postby adgirl » Tue Sep 01, 2009 05:19 pm

I felt exactly the same way you do (also dealt with PP PE)and after deciding we definitely wanted another, I spoke to a peri. Then met with a couple of OB/Gyns and picked one that I knew would be proactive. I always say that getting pregnant with my daughter was literally facing my biggest fear!!!

In the end, I did have some PP problems again, but we were totally on top of it and it was not nearly as scary b/c I knew what was going on and that I was being taken care of.

The anxiety that went along with that pregnancy (of will it happen again or not) was terrible though - and was enough that my husband and I have decided 2 is definitely enough for us. That was what we had always wanted, and now that they are both here safely - we are glad to be done with pregnancy for me.

It is truly a very hard decision. Just take your time and do your research - the answer will come to you.

mcfarmgirl

Postby mcfarmgirl » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:56 am

Hi KelliKBock,

When I read your post, it was like reading my own thoughts. I was induced at 37 weeks with my second pregnancy due to PE and also dealt with a very scary case of PP PE. I, too, am torn about having another baby and risking my own health/health of the baby. I have recently started considering a third pregnancy and go back and forth between thinking I am crazy for risking another pregnancy and the overwhelming urge I have to have a 3rd child. Ugh....it is so frustrating!

So, I have a peri appointment scheduled for next week and will be interested in what she has to say. I think all we can do is hear the facts, know what risks we potentially face and go from there. I haven't made my mind up one way or the other and my only hope is that I find peace with whatever decision I make. Hopefully you can too!

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Tue Sep 01, 2009 00:36 am

I think that all of us that have gone on to get pregnant after having pre-e have gone through these emotions. My advice to you would be to find a great MFM (peri) and go get a pre-pregnancy consult. They can let you know what your chances are of developing it again (of course there is no crystal ball) and what the action plan would be for you for a future pregnancy.

You have to do what is right for you and your family. Best of luck with your decision.

kellikbock

Afraid to try again...and confused

Postby kellikbock » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:23 pm

I posted a long while ago. After coming home with my third baby I developed PP Pre...I am now considered chronic hypertensive and am on medication to regulate it. My last stint in the hospital (during Christmas) was pretty scary for me, and I can't shake it from my thoughts. My husband and I always wanted to have four little ones, and I really would love to have another....BUT I am pretty terrified. I feel as though it is rolling the dice with my mortality. I know that I would see a peri. & be taken care of...I just am extremely terrified. I know how rare it is to get PP Pre. (I am often reminded by my doctors), and I just feel like it would happen all over again. Plus, I feel that it is selfish to risk my life (leaving behind my 3 children) to have another one (when I have three healthy ones). BUT, I also have the feeling of mourning a baby that I had planned but can't have...I am so confused.
How likely would I be to have to deal with all of that again? Is it completely insane & dangerous? Is it as serious as I am making it? Help!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”