appointment update- swelling question

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
kara
Forum Moderator

Re : appointment update- swelling question

Postby kara » Thu Aug 20, 2009 01:58 pm

You've also hit the point in pregnancy when your blod volume doubles, which can lead to swelling. Your body has a lot of extra fluid to push around. Like the others have said, swelling isn't even diagnostic anymore because some women swell and some don't, preeclamptic or not. The swelling you describe sounds perfectly normal. Also remember that areas that have had previous excessive swelling are more likely to collect fluid easier. If it goes away at night, it's normal...is the rule I was given by my MFM.

Oh and carpal tunnel is fairly common in normal pregnancies too, and not a symptom of pe.

Hang in there mama!!!

jhfleet

Postby jhfleet » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:06 am

Thanks guys. That is encouraging to hear. I think I am so paranoid about it because I consider swelling/water retention to be one of the first signs of my preeclampisa the last time. I did end up with bad swelling in face and hands as well but I seem to remember it started showing up in the legs first- and it was really bad! Nothing like I have right now but the next few weeks will be nervewracking for me as that is when the signs of preeclampsia started to show the last time, bp creeping up and swelling, carpal tunnel, headaches, etc. I pray pray pray I do not experience it again. I find that I keep wishing it was fall or halloween or thanksgiving already because obviously I would feel so much better if it was and I was still pregnant!

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:54 am

Swelling is not really considered a pre-e symptom anymore because it is so common in pregnancy. We worry more if it start appearing in your face and won't go away with rest.

I am glad that things are going so well for you.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:38 am

Congrats on a healthy boy! I have 3 girls & it's nice having 3 of "the same" especially when they are so close together in age. :) But, be prepared for family/friends & especially strangers to ask you when/if you'll be "trying for that girl". I just laugh & say we weren't trying for *this one* (& point at the baby) so we're certainly not trying for more - of either sex!!

Swelling even in "normal" pregnany is common. Especially after a long day & during the summer. I'm not even pregnant & I notice some swelling when it's hot & I've been on my feet a lot! It is so hard not to worry after having PE but on this one I think you're safe & normal. (((HUGS)))

jhfleet

appointment update- swelling question

Postby jhfleet » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:31 am

Hi- just wanted to give the latest and ask a question. I am now 20 weeks. I had a checkup and ultrasound last week on the 12th. I found out it will be DS#3! Most important though was that everything looked healthy and on track with the baby. I had gained a few pounds but my blood pressure was good (amazingly I actually can't remember the numbers now- usually those things are burned in my brain) and there was no protein showing up.

I am a little worried about something though. Just within the past week, I have noticed a little swelling in the bottom parts of my legs and feet. It typically only shows up closer to the end of the day and after sleeping it is back to normal. Do you think this is normal even in a typical pregnancy (that is- one with no Pre-e) or do you think it is a bad sign at this stage. How early did swelling start with the rest of you? I will mention that it also has been hotter and more humid recently.

Hope everyone else is doing well! This is such a roller coaster this time around and I really appreciate having this forum to update and ask questions. I wish I could get on here more but with working full time and 2 little ones I cant seem to find that time!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”