Seriously....protein, already???

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
kbunsey

Re : Seriously....protein, already???

Postby kbunsey » Wed Jul 08, 2009 09:59 pm

I've heard those dips can be less accurate than a 24-hour. Have you done one of those yet? I had 177mg of protein in my 24-hr at 16 weeks and my doc said not to worry about it - it was w/ in the normal range for pregnancy. She said it would possibly even go up and be OK too.

It is sooooooo normal to be scared and to compare and to worry and to want to know. I was just at counseling tonight describing my hysteria from last week and my therapist said that I should call my MFM anytime I think/feel like I need to rather than sit home and possibly be getting sick. She said, How could you not call given what I've been through!? So, my thinking is this applies to you too. Call, ask, request, be heard. Take yourself seriously b/c your fears and concerns aren't crazy, made-up fears - they are based on your past experience.

Thinking about you.

ud0r1234

Postby ud0r1234 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 03:17 pm

Did they have you do a "clean catch", where you wipe yourself with a non-alcohol wipe to disinfect b/f urine collection? My Dr. said that when you don't do a clean catch, that normal vaginal discharge can also have trace amounts of protein in it and can intefer with results via the dip method. I forgot to wipe on time and that one time showed that I had trace protein. Ever since I always wipe and haven't had any protein since. The 24 hour collection is great idea to do to put your mind at ease.

threesparkles

Postby threesparkles » Wed Jul 08, 2009 01:47 pm

I had a protein scare, too, just a couple of weeks ago. It ended up being just fine with a 24 hour urine. I've been drinking TONS of water to prevent dehydration, and it seems to help with the swelling. Good Luck!

sj

Postby sj » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:59 am

I don't know if my answer will help but with my first pregnancy I always showed protein in my urine but no bp. I was diagnosed with PE on the day my son was delivered. Later when I consulted with the MFM he said they are not so concerned with protein in the urine if there is no BP. My OB also said that some people naturally have protein in their urine hence they do a baseline 24 hr for PE cases.

imemc3

Postby imemc3 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:26 am

I understand. I am currently 33 weeks pregnant. When I was working I had bp spikes, swelling in my angles, and my 24 hr was a little over 300. They took me out of work and put me on bedrest at 28 weeks. Now things are fine my bps are normal and last 24hr urine was 275. I believe in bedrest. They said what ever was surfacing we caught it in time with bedrest. My doctor's are very proactive and I feel very blessed. I am so glad you are proactive in asking you doctor to take you out of work. I know things improved for me on bedrest. Bedrest had also helped with the preterm labor. I may have gone into preterm labor early if I were not already on bedrest. Bedrest can help our bodies out so much to help us to carry our babies longer. I am keeping you in my thoughts in hopes that everything works itself out and you can be out of work soon.

Elaine

amandamm

Postby amandamm » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:18 am

First off, I would go by your ultrasound date, unless you were charting and know when you ovulate. Charting is the only way to know for sure the right time, anything else can be wrong. So go by that date, it is possible you ovulated lated than you thought.

I know lots of people who had trace protein (or more) before 20 weeks, and none of them turned out to have pre-e, some people just have that. Also, I think if you are dehydrated you can spill protein... don't stress, and keep an eye on your symptoms :) It is tough!

susheli

Postby susheli » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:43 am

I understand that you're worried given your history, and hopefully trace is only that and not even PE related at all. My dr also says that trace really doesn't mean much on its own, except that it needs checking out. Hopefully you can do a 24h urines soon for a baseline and reassurance. I'm thinking of you! ((((((((((hugs)))))))))))

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Wed Jul 08, 2009 09:30 am

Suzanne -
Have you had a baseline 24 hr urine yet (sorry - I can't remember!)? If not then I *might* consider asking one just to get a baseline of where you are right now - it would give them a marker of where you are.

I'm sorry you're having to worry - when is your next doctors appointment?

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Wed Jul 08, 2009 07:22 am

Thanks, girls. I guess the reason I am so concerned is because during my first pregnancy, I was having issues breathing and didn't feel well and went to a walk-in clinic on a Sunday. The doc checked my urine and said I just had a trace of protein and said I should be fine. Two days later, I had full-blown PE with a ton of protein in my urine along with the other symptoms, and I was hospitalized to get ready for an emergency c-section. I know it's too early for PE right now, but I guess I am remembering the nightmare from 8 years ago.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:16 pm

I had trace protein starting around that time with Cate.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”