C-Section weirdness

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
shierman

Re : C-Section weirdness

Postby shierman » Fri Jun 05, 2009 01:48 pm

I had the same sensations near my incision, complete with a lumpy mass. Doctor told me it was a hematoma and that I didn't need to be concerned unless it started to look infected (green oozing kind of stuff). The area was completely bruised and wasn't pretty, but it never got infected. She told me to keep a heating pad on it to break up the pooling of blood underneath. The doctor then chewed me out for doing too much at the beginning (was taking walks to the library for something to do and to get my mind off of my loss). She wanted me to do as little as possible for at least 4 weeks, which we all know is unrealistic.

I would call the doctor, but in the meantime, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you notice something weird about it OR your doctor sounds concerned.

Sarah

p.s. Took pain meds and anitbiotics for approx 2 weeks.

lilliputianmama

Postby lilliputianmama » Fri Jun 05, 2009 01:25 pm

I would talk to your doctor, just in case. I never relaxed with either. I was too busy going back and forth from the NICUs and whatnot. With the first daughter, I even fell down a flight of stairs a couple of weeks or so after. All was fine except for my ankle.

Feel better soon!

crystalw

Postby crystalw » Fri Jun 05, 2009 06:18 am

I would call the dr also! And I just wanted to say that everyone deals with pain differently.. I didn't hardly take the percocet at all.. I usually refused it in the hospital even the day AFTER my section. The nurses were really trying to shove that stuff down my throat but really the motrin worked fine for me.. but I know people who take their percocet right on time every time for awhile and there is nothing wrong with that. You should do whats best for YOU! After all.. only YOU can feel your pain! :) Keep us updated!

susheli

Postby susheli » Fri Jun 05, 2009 04:18 am

Hi Jenny,
I'm sorry you're feeling unwell. I'd also call the dr, but wanted to add that I was very bruised and sore after my emergency section - my whole tummy was a mass of black and blue and also felt hard, it was scary! Apparently this can happen when you deliver a preemie because they sometimes have to dig around to get to the baby and get her out safely. This is how they explained it to me. I was still in hospital due to bp issues and put on anti-biotics in case of an infection.

I'd also recommend to take it as easy as possible - not easily done with a preemie in NICU and other kids at home, I imagine! I overdid it and my scar actually reopened partly and started to bleed the night be brought Aurelia home. It was terrifying!! I had just done too much, I was told.... and/or was very unlucky....

I hope you feel better very very soon! (((((hugs))))))
How is Lily doing? I'm thinking of you both.
xoxo Sush

julie f

Postby julie f » Fri Jun 05, 2009 00:52 am

Jenny,

Just wanted to echo Heather, I'd put a call in to the doctor to see if they could take a peek. They prescribed darvocet and after the first few days I was just on 800mg of motrin and doing ok, uncomfortable but not in too much pain.

jenanderson

Postby jenanderson » Fri Jun 05, 2009 00:46 am

does it feel hot to the touch? Are you running any fevers? I worry about an infection because of how your feeling. I had an emergency c with DD and had a nasty infection and a LOT more pain during recovery with that one vs my second section. Talk to a Dr, the worse that will happen is you'll be fine! Plus maybe you can get extra pain meds just in case you need them, and don't feel bad for taking them. I took them for a couple weeks with DD, and more with DS (but I had an additional surgery 1 week later for an obstructed ureter). They give them to you for a reason, so you don't have to live in misery! Plus, you'll be a happier Mama if your not in pain!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Fri Jun 05, 2009 00:23 am

I think I'd mention that to the doctor. KathyC had a time with hers, IIRC (with an infection and an incision that opened on the inside). Mine wasn't bad at all by 6 days out; I was still slow-moving, but not in pain. I took pain meds (percocet) the first few days, but was fine beyond that. I took it really easy afterward - except for a sad attempt at a tub bath the day I got home (bad idea!). I didn't look at mine (much less touch it!), so I don't know if it was bruised or lumpy. I can say, though, there is a bumpy texture to it now so it must have been that way then, too.

The other thing ... yours was an emergency section? Maybe that had something to do with how you're healing. At any rate, I'd have a doctor look over it.

dolphinjen

C-Section weirdness

Postby dolphinjen » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:42 pm

So I had a c-section and it's totally bruised on my abdominal region. I don't remember bruising of the skin last time. Also, it still hurts like you know what. I had it 6 days ago. It's not so much the incision, that feels fine, it's inside, it feels like there is a big mass of tissue in there, like a ball. Is this normal? I don't know what it is. My dh said they really, really had to shove things around during the operation. Could the instestines be balled up in an area? I'm kind of feeling anxious about. It just doesn't seem like there should be a baseball like thing in there.

Also did you guys really relax after the surgery, or do you think you may have overdid it, like doing stuff around the house, etc. How long did you take pain pills, and were they Rx or over the counter? I just took two Percocet b/c it was hurting so bad.

I just can't remember the last times I had the csections how it healed.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”