prenatal treatment after pe

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
sarah.niere

Re : prenatal treatment after pe

Postby sarah.niere » Mon Feb 19, 638610 11:11 am

Hi Rachael,
That sure is close monitoring! I wanted to write to say that I hear you about not having underlying disorders and hoping the PE would be a memory rather than a huge part of this pregnancy. Also, I hear you about having the fear swell after high risk appointments. My first pregnancy was very exciting for me, and I looked forward to every visit (because I was hospitalized immediately once PE showed up). This pregnancy is very, very different, and I feel robbed of a "normal" and "excited" pregnancy experience (although I'm quite grateful for monitoring considering my history). Hang in there, and may, as you said, all the follow up be a chance to see your baby many times and hear good news. :)

Take care, and best of luck!

kteacher

Postby kteacher » Sun Feb 18, 638610 3:43 pm

I had class I HELLPS with my first. They monitored me like other pregnancies seeeing me once a month. They did do more labwork though. I had my ultrasound at 20 weeks and then they did two more as I got closer to delivery. After 28 weeks they started seeing me more often than others.

I know going to the doctor is a hassle, especially since you have such travel time. But, I would have LOVED to be monitored more closely...even though this birth turned out fine. Every time I went to the doctor I had the confirmation that everything was going smoothly. I'm jealous!

rachaelann

Postby rachaelann » Sun Feb 18, 638610 8:53 am

thanks for the input. i guess, probably like most of you, i am hoping that pe doesnt even come up in this pregnancy. i tested negative for the underlying disorders. at my last regular checkup my bp was 110/60. ive lost my baby weight and have been exercising daily. and when i had my preconception consult with the doctor she said that pe was mainly a first time pregnancy thing and that it would be a waiting game to see what happens. but didnt seem concerned, so i put the whole thought of getting it again in the back of my mind, but talking to the nurse practioner she made it seem like it was imminent that i would get it again. that thought hit me hard and made me really scared. i can handle the bp monitoring, even peeing in the dumb hat once a month, and honestly more sonograms..more i see the baby...its the every two week appts. that kill me. my dr is 45 minutes away. so that means, an hour and a half of driving, to sit in the waiting room for 30 minutes, to see the dr. for 5 minutes all while working around naptime and an extremely active 18 mo. old. and this is only the beginning, im sure at some pt it will be every week, and then twice a week. my husband and i talked about it last night and he thinks i should see if they will meet me in the middle about the appointments. instead of two weeks, every three weeks. or call in with my bps every other week and see them every four weeks. i know some of you are wishing for this type of care, but to me all its providing me with so far is worry. and of course im extremely emotional so lots of tears! thanks ladies!

shierman

Postby shierman » Sun Feb 18, 638610 4:21 am

What's your doctor's phone number? Like the other ladies, I would live at the doctor's office if I could. Seriously, though, I had a baseline 24 hr and bloodwork at 7 weeks. Right now, I'm to go in to MFM once per month until 20 weeks. At 20, I'm to start going in every other week. If BP starts to rise or other symptoms start to manifest themselves, they'll want me to go in every other day or admit me. I'm not sure about ultrasounds, other than the 3 I've already had and my 20 week, or about additional 24hr tests. I'm pretty confident I'll be urinating in a jug quite a bit over the next 6 months, though.

brianned5

Postby brianned5 » Sat Feb 17, 638610 4:57 am

Wow, I delivered my daughter at 25 weeks. I have good MFM's but I want your doctor. Of course if they would see me daily I'd be happy! I check my BP three times a day, I see the doctor every two weeks until I get to 20 weeks, then it should be atleast once a week. Also at 20 weeks I'll get an ultrasound every 4 weeks.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Sat Feb 17, 638610 4:51 am

That sounds very much like my experience with the MFM during E's pregnancy with the exception of the monthly 24 hrs (I did one per trimester just to track it). I'm with Julie on this one. Even seeing them twice a month (since 6 weeks), I found myself wanting to see them more (I was up to once a week by 28 and twice a week by 32), but I would've easily moved into the office permanently if they would've allowed it ;).

With your situation, I think there are two things to consider which pop out from your post: 1) this was the nurse practitioner - does the doctor plan to approach it this way or could it just be the NP's opinion? and 2) It sounds like - and I may be completely off base - that maybe this lady rubbed you the wrong way? Either way, if you aren't comfortable, for sure, now's the time to find someone who meshes well with you and what you want.

Once other folks start piling in, another thing to consider is that most people are going to have vastly different experiences due to histories, underlying disorders, even just the different ways practices manage high risk pregnancies.

julie f

Postby julie f » Thu Feb 08, 638610 8:08 am

Well, if we knew who your doctor was, I think you'd have women lined up around the block to see him/her!!

Compared to my second and third pregnancies, you are being monitored more closely from the get go. Personally, I'm all about extra monitoring and would have spent my entire 2nd pregnancy in the hospital had they let me... For me, more monitoring = equals less anxiety, but I can understand that it may create some for you. I was followed by an OB and an MFM. I saw my OB monthly until 24 or 28 weeks I think. At 30 weeks I began NSTs, first once a week and then twice after 32 or 33 weeks. I think I had 24 hours and labs about every other month. I had u/s monthly I believe. I was also tested and treated for high cardiac output during my 2nd pregnancy.

The reality is that we don't know who will and who won't get it again or whether it will come earlier or later. So again, these are just my own thoughts, but if a doctor wants to be a little over the top - sign me up!

The important thing though is that you receive good care, that you're comfortable with.

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Thu Feb 08, 638610 4:44 am

That's a lot different from the treatment that I've gotten this pregnancy!

I had normal, monthly visits until about 20 weeks, and then biweekly until my BP started going up. I had a baseline 24hr run at about 18 weeks, and then didn't have another until my BP started increasing, because I was only showing negative or trace in the office.

Starting in the 2nd trimester I had monthly ultrasounds.

I understand having more careful attention in a subsequent pregnancy, but if you aren't starting out with hypertension and/or protein in your urine, I'm not sure what benefit the extra visits would have prior to 20 weeks, especially since your PE was at 35 weeks, which is not early onset (though I know it's premature and definitely scary!).

I am curious to see what others' experiences were too! I wish you a long and uneventful pregnancy!

rachaelann

prenatal treatment after pe

Postby rachaelann » Thu Feb 08, 638610 4:25 am

hi everyone! im about 8 weeks pregnant and had my first prenatal appointment today. when i asked the nurse practioner if my treatment would be different this pregnancy because of having pre e last time she said yes. and proceeded to tell me that from the start they will see me every two weeks, i need to do a 24 hour urine once a month, check my blood pressure twice a day, everyday, sonograms once a month and bloodwork done once a month. she even told me i should come up with a plan for my son if something should happen along with make freezer meals. im curious as to how other peoples treatments changed after having pre e? i think this plan of action seems a little "jump the gun" i have been trying to block the idea of getting pe out of my head so that i dont become afraid and this doctors appt. was like shoving all of it in my face. im considering getting a second opinion. any thoughts?? thanks.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”