Just a vent...

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
kteacher

Re : Just a vent...

Postby kteacher » Sun Feb 18, 638610 3:35 pm

I agree...tell them to check it both ways. I'd take a piece of paper and write down "lying down, right arm- the bp numbers". Let them know you are doing this. Just say, I like to chart how my bp was taken along with the numbers...just so I know. This will probably get them to do it...they don't want something to happen and you have it recorded that they did it wrong.

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Sun Feb 18, 638610 3:31 pm

Thanks guys! I have been having really bad heartburn lately, so I will tell them that I need to at least be propped up and hopefully that will give me more accurate readings. It's so frustrating having to fight with docs and nurses to get the best care!

My BP went down a little last night so I didn't go in, but called my OB this morning with my pressures. I took my Labetalol 3 hours ago and my last reading was 160/92, so I'm not sure what she's going to want to do with me!

kbunsey

Postby kbunsey » Sun Feb 18, 638610 3:07 pm

Totally not supposed to take BP lying down. That's a treatment for high BP. Was told this when I was hospitalized last summer by more than one doc and nurse. It is good to do, but not for getting BP readings. Can you refuse to lie down?

I hear that you are frustrated - I would be too. Wishing you a great apt on Thursday and excellent doctor care.

waitinghopefully

Postby waitinghopefully » Sat Feb 17, 638610 7:47 pm

Maybe take your cuff with you and make them compare theirs and yours and just refuse to lie down! Or say yes you can take it lying down on my right but please do it sat in a chair on my left as well. Sort of smile and say humour me? I've tried this and it sometimes works, either that or they don't want to chart that they refused to do it properly!

brianned5

Postby brianned5 » Sat Feb 17, 638610 5:03 am

My dcctor doesn't want anyone taking my BP while lying down. I've been on the phone 4 times this week giving her my at home pressures and getting my dosage changed. It has to be frustrating for you. I hope you stay as healthy as possible and have a great appointment Thursday where they can take care of this.

lilillini

Just a vent...

Postby lilillini » Thu Feb 08, 638610 12:12 am

Because I know you ladies can empathize!

My go-to-triage numbers are 160/100. I'm hitting that now at home, 2 hours before my next scheduled dose of Labetalol.

But I know that when I have DH take me to triage, my numbers will be lower because they will take my blood pressure on my right arm while I am laying down. My protein and labs will be normal - labs were just run again last Wednesday (and were normal even when I had severe PE with my son), and I've been dipping trace protein.

I will go in because I'm supposed to, and they will send me home because their readings aren't what's happening in reality, and they will say that it's *my* cuff that's the problem.

My next doctor's appointment is Thursday. I just had one yesterday, with a normal NST and fluid check. I just feel like my blood pressures and other symptoms (edema, rapid weight gain, headaches and visual disturbances but a clean MRI) are irrelevant at this point, until I finally have a seizure and then maybe I'll be taken seriously. I would honestly not mind being in the hospital on mag. until delivery because I feel like that's the best situation for me.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”