I am NOT helping myself...

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
joannek

Re : I am NOT helping myself...

Postby joannek » Wed Mar 14, 638610 8:17 am

thanks for all the support ladies. I'll keep you all posted as the pregnancy progresses! and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for everyone else pregnant out there.

sarah.niere

Postby sarah.niere » Mon Feb 19, 638610 1:05 pm

I am right where you are. I just had an appointment I found very disheartening and I seem to alternate between being very positive and very scared/unsure/negative. It is so hard for me that I cannot "do" something to make things (like the pregnancy outcome) better. I don't know if I'll ever figure out how to handle this pregnancy mentally... but hang in there. It's one day at a time for sure.

Best of luck.

stacylw

Postby stacylw » Mon Jan 15, 638610 10:49 pm

I understand your worries and pain. It does seem unfair sometimes. It helps me to realize that there are so many different problems that can happen in pregnancy, besides PE/PIH, and they happen often to women all over the world. Sometimes I wish that I could have a 'normal' pregnancy and 'enjoy' as it seems others around me get to do- but in the end I try to keep my eye on the 'prize'- having a child.

I realize this doesn't always help, but I also remind myself of the growing number of women that can't get pregnant and battle with infertility and never have success. I wonder if those women would take the 'high risk' pregnancy if it meant being able to have a baby. I guess my point is that even though this is hard, you should pat yourself on the back for being as brave as you are to go through this again, and don't forget, despite all the anxiety and difficulties we go through, there's a baby waiting on the other side.

I wish you the best of luck. Try to stay confident. You never know what's going to happen. I thought I might have to deliver at 28 weeks (I got steroids and the works), and now I have an induction scheduled for later this week at 37.5 weeks. They told me I'd be lucky to make it to the 30's back when this started, so it just goes to show there's no way to know. . . .

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Mon Jan 15, 638610 8:33 pm

I can speak to this--as while I had PE three times, the first (despite six weeks of bedrest) didn't hit my radar (I was 23--I wasn't reading anything and we didn't have cable). #2 was fine and #3 I was even moved to a midwife for care--that's when I nearly died (NOT blaming the midwife). SO, when we learned (surprise) about #4--I was a bit of a basketcase. I think that is pretty normal--when you nearly died or you lost a baby, or had a baby struggle with extended time in NICU--it was a trauma. Someone put it this way--if you've had a car accident in a particular intersection, you will always drive more carefully or even avoid that intersection. I think it is great to be positive--but the most positive thing you can do is learn about the disease, be aware of your body (and the baby) and as with that intersection, approach with care. Chances are good you, like me, will have a healthy baby. But what is most important is that you've taken control of the process as best you can and you've done all you can do. Best wishes!

kteacher

Postby kteacher » Mon Jan 15, 638610 12:27 am

I worried throughout my entire pregnancy. My doctor that I used with the first pregnancy adviced me not to get pregnant again...then he moved out of town (I really liked him). I had said I didn't want to go through that again. Then I became pregnant last year and in April 08 found out it was ectopic. When I had to use methotraxate to end that pregnancy (it was in my tubes) I again vowed never again. So, July came and that was when I could stop using bc (had to use due to methotraxate) and I desepartely wanted another one.
Henry Russell Morris was born April 14, 2990 (almost a year to the date of having the ectopic terminated). I had no PE, no HELLPS, but LOTS of worry! My platelets did go down some.
It was SO worth it! But, it is my last.

joannek

Postby joannek » Mon Jan 15, 638610 12:16 am

Suzanne,
you are a braver person than I am, I CAN NOT watch those shows; ever since Sara was born, and I still don't watch them. Even just the "normal" pregnancy stories bum me out.

I love reading the success stories, but then I stumble upon a non-sucess story. My mom had it worst with me and it got better for my sister and brother ( I was the first) I guess I can hope I continue to follow her lead.

Whatever will happen will happen, guess there's not too much we can do about it but hope for the best.

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Sun Jan 14, 638610 11:44 pm

Oh, Joanne -

I am right there with ya. I am getting my tubes tied during the c-section. Like you, this will absolutely be my last baby. I thought I was done with just one, but God had other plans for me! Everytime I think about the impending c-section, my BP goes up about 10 points. All of the scary memories of the NICU have come back in full force and I can't sleep. I've been watching the baby shows about high-risk pregnancy on the Discovery Health Channel, and that makes me more anxious. I think I need to turn off the TV. You are not alone - there are a lot of us in the same boat, which is why I like reading the forums. There are so many success stories the second time around. Let's think positive....I know it's hard, but let's try.

Take Care...

kbunsey

Postby kbunsey » Sun Jan 14, 638610 4:05 pm

Facing the unknown is the most difficult part of it right now for me too. Do what is best for you and take care! (((HUGS)))

joannek

I am NOT helping myself...

Postby joannek » Sun Jan 14, 638610 3:20 pm

I need to stop reading about recurrence of PE and HELLP. I am freaking myself out. I don't think I had it that bad last time, though bad enough to deliver at 31 weeks. I only had the EL, my platelets and blood count were fine.

I HATE the not knowing. I wish I had an answer to the question "will it happen again", but I know there isn't one.

I guess it's all hitting me finally. I was just thinking about checking out of the hospital last go around and having to leave our litte girl behind in the NICU. I dread having to do it all over again. This will absolutely be my last baby. I can't do this a third time.

I hate that this disease robs us of what should be an exciting time of our life.

I'm going to stop reading and go do something else to take my mind off this.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”