Magnesium for delivery- mild PE

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Magnesium for delivery- mild PE

Postby caryn » Thu Jan 04, 638610 2:26 am

My guess is that there's no consensus on the best medical decision here and that's *why* it's your call. Lemme check and see if there's anything new in this area...

stacylw

Postby stacylw » Wed Jan 03, 638610 10:22 pm

Thank you all for your responses- and Blythe, thank you for the links.

It seems like such a hard decision to make unless there are clear symptoms. My doc is in a group practice of 6, so I know that there will be differing opinions there. 1 of the 2 docs I've dealt with said it is my choice, if I make an 'educated' decision.

So, that's what I'm trying to do. Its a scary one however, even if I remain free from symptoms until that time. Obviously there's no real winning there. On one hand, say no to the mag (which sounds good given how sick it made me last time), and risk the consequences (seizures,etc.), and of course possibly worry during the delivery about this and deal with the disapproving staff. On the other hand, take the mag, risk getting sick from it again, be stuck in bed laboring, and its effects on the baby (which I know are debated, but I blame it for making my daughter very sluggish and sleepy, and poor feeding at first).

I don't know how to make the decision, since it is up to me. Seems like from everyone's responses that docs range from always using it in any PE to using it only in severe cases with symptoms. Wish I had one of those doctors that doesn't always use it and then I'd at least feel like they made the medical decision for me.

Thanks- appreciate the help and the venting.

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Wed Jan 03, 638610 9:05 pm

I had mag with severe preeclampsia. I think that is what caused my pulmonary edema, but I'm not sure. I was in a fog during the whole thing, but I think that's what the doctor said. Mag made me feel terrible, but I know it was very important, so I am assuming I will have it again this time around.

Good luck to you!

ambersjourney

Postby ambersjourney » Wed Jan 03, 638610 7:43 pm

My ob told me he will only give me mag if I develop severe preeclampsia. He did not give me mag with second pregnancy- which was pih/mild pe.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Wed Jan 03, 638610 6:55 pm

I didn't have mag for either of my PE deliveries or my PIH one & all were induced. And with the pressures I was having & what I know now I'm really surprised I didn't have it. But my OB must have been in the "only use it it you *really* have to" camp. But I'd certainly let your OB know that you'd prefer not to have it unless he really felt it was necessary.

blythe

Postby blythe » Wed Jan 03, 638610 3:41 pm

Stacey, I had a bad reaction to mag and was obsessed at avoiding it with #2 if at all safely possible. I haven't done and recent intensive lit reviews, but my post in the middle of this page is what I found out a couple years ago:http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... um,sulfate

Basically, from your summary it sounds like you found the same information ;->. The best you can do is to talk to your doctor about it - they're the ones who have the final say. I suppose you can refuse against medical advice, but I wouldn't recommend it... Good luck!!! Lot of women on these board actually felt *better* on mag, so maybe you'll be one of those if you need it again.

stacylw

Magnesium for delivery- mild PE

Postby stacylw » Wed Jan 03, 638610 12:49 pm

Hello,

I'm going to be induced next week since my 24 urine was above 300 (373) yesterday. So far I'm feeling well with no symptoms so far (hoping this doesn't change). I know the symptoms well since I had severe PE with my first pregnancy and remember everything.

So, they're calling this 'mild' PE right now, but say that its better to induce at 37 weeks and latest by 38 weeks anyway. I'll be 37 weeks on Monday.

I was wondering if anyone has heard about NOT using magnesium during delivery for mild PE. I got very sick from the magnesium last time and am scared to have it again. But, at the same time I understand why its given and that it has saved so many lives over the past 40+ years. So, I've been trying to read some medical literature, and it seems like there's a movement to look at whether OB's really need to give it to ALL patients with mild PE, or if it can be used on a more individual basis in mild PE. I know once there's symptoms the literature says there's a definite benefit, but it seems like from what I've read that there's a questionable benefit in mild cases.

So, was just wondering if anyone went without the magnesium or has heard more about this.

Thanks!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”