PE again. . . .

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
karoliina

Re : PE again. . . .

Postby karoliina » Tue Aug 29, 638609 1:36 pm

It's difficult with headaches! I've had hormonal ones in the first hapf of both pregnancies, but nothing bad after that. Until I had two colds in the last month, and apparently due to them had a couple of migraine attacks. It was so difficult to decide if I should be worried or not, because the pain killers you're allowed to have while pregnant won't help with migraine in any case.

I always decided to sleep on it, and they were always gone by the morning. I wouldn't necessarily advise others to do that, though.

Yes, I did get the "official" PE diagnosis a week later this time around (week 35 in my first pregnancy, week 36 now), but the first signs could be spotted around the same weeks (27 or so) in both.

Let us know about the headache and the results, when you get them!

Karoliina

stacylw

Postby stacylw » Tue Aug 29, 638609 5:46 am

Karoliina,

I too am amazed at how differently things are handled in different places. Even in the same city in the U.S. it seems you can find doctors that will treat the same situation differently.
It always makes me wonder what really is the best, or if the doctors even know.

Your story has been inspiring me in any case. I remember reading that you had PE with your first and now at the end of this one have it again. That is the same as my situation, only I think you've been lucky to get it a bit later?

I'm not totally sure, but from yesterdays preliminary tests it seems like the PE is back for me again. I'll know for sure tomorrow.

Of course, since this morning I've had a headache! I don't know if its from stress/anxiety, or just another headache (I've had many through this whole pregnancy even in the first trimester), or if its something I should call my doctors about.
I just know if I call and say 'headache' I'll be admitted tonight, and then who knows from there.

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Mon Aug 28, 638609 9:56 pm

I'm sorry to hear the news, but I hope things will stay stable and maybe you won't get PE after all - there's still hope with that low diastolic number and waiting for the 24-hour results!

Your situation is so different from how doctors react here... I'm 38 weeks along with PE and nobody's interested in inducing. :)

Karoliina

stacylw

Postby stacylw » Mon Aug 28, 638609 8:47 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Today, I'm at 35+1 weeks, hoping to keep going. I know everyone is different and PE can be different if you get it again. I'm just hoping it stays mild and stable more than it did with my first pregnancy- it was diagnosed as sudden onset severe PE at 35+0 and then by 35+4 my liver tests were changing so they went ahead with the induction.

I feel better this time though. I felt sick last time and did have the headaches, but so far so good with this pregnancy.
I'm just more worried if this is worse for the baby compared to just having high BPs.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should get tested for an underlying disorder. Should I be seeing a MFM or just continue with my regular OB?
The good news (I think) is that this OB seems to be inclined to let me stay pregnant as long as possible. Last time, the OB was ready to deliver me at 34+6 even before the test results. But still, sometimes I feel they're too fast to want to deliver. But, then again, I understand the risks get higher as you go on with PE. I'm just in the 'gray area' now at 35+1 weeks and hope to make it further. We'll see.

debbie78

Postby debbie78 » Mon Aug 28, 638609 8:45 pm

I agree, it's great that they are monitoring you so closely-- that's always music to my ears. :)

I hope baby can stay put, even if just for a few more days. Please update us when you can.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Mon Aug 28, 638609 7:10 pm

The average time from diagnosis to delivery is 2 weeks, so you could very well make it a few more weeks (of course this is average - people like me get delivered the day they get diagnosed and others can hold on for months).

I hope that you have lots of good help at home so that you can rest up.

Take care and let us know how your 24 hour urine goes.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Mon Aug 28, 638609 7:05 pm

Stacy -
Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm sorry you are on bedrest but I am *so glad* that they are monitoring you so carefully! I know bedrest stinks but I know in my heart it did help me keep me pregnant longer - I also know though that sometimes it doesn't help but honestly and truly, you are at a great place in your pregnancy...

((Hugs))

melodi

Postby melodi » Mon Aug 28, 638609 4:33 pm

Oh, I am so sorry that it looks like you are experiencing preeclampsia again. I sincerely hope that it stays mild and that you can cope with bedrest. I don't know how many weeks you are, but hopefully will make it very very far. (((hugs)))

stacylw

PE again. . . .

Postby stacylw » Mon Aug 28, 638609 4:15 pm

Hello,

So, I've been watching as my BP's were getting slightly higher. I tried not to worry too much, but after them being stable (130's-140's/70's) for the last 7 weeks, I had to wonder a bit these past few days as they jumped to 150s/70s.

My doctor had me come in to L&D last night. My BP was what I thought and the baby looked good on the NST (which was a relief), but the preliminary 'spot urine' test was positive for protein. I have to do the 24 hour test again now and bring it in tomorrow to make it official, but the doctor said this pretty much confirms that PE is back.

The weirdest part is that I was diagnosed with severe PE at the same time to the day with my first pregnancy. I ended up delivering at 35+6 (induced at 35+4). I'm just really hoping that I can make it to 36 weeks or even beyond. They said if it is PE, and stays mild, that I could go to 37 weeks, but they would induce me then, not let me go further.
So, for now, I'm hoping just to get to 36 and will take it from there.
Nervous now, officially on 'bedrest'- which is hard, but from these forums I know it works for many, so will gladly try it.

Thanks for listening!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”