Stressed days before dr's appointment *Update*

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
mintmommy

Re : Stressed days before dr's appointment *Update*

Postby mintmommy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 08:56 pm

quote:Originally posted by Joker

Well, I'm actually the opposite, going to the doc makes me feel less stressed! I do agree with Sabrina though and get there a little early and sit and relax. I usually put in my ipod and close my eyes and rest before they call me back.

I used to feel like this before. I loved going to the doc, but ever since I got pre-e with my first, my second and third and this fourth pregnancies have been a roller coaster ride. I thank God that my second and third went smooth all the way (no complications and no meds needed). With this fourth one, its a different story. It seems the more kids I have the more anxious I tend to feel until I reached a point of no return. I can't seem to be able to control myself at the doc's office so my bp comes out high... :-(

I just hope that just as it showed up that it will eventually go away (i.e., the anxiety).

mintmommy

Postby mintmommy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 08:48 pm

OMG! It's like I posted this!

I feel the same. Days before my appt. I get very tensed. I become too focused on what will happen at this next appt.

It's been a little less since the time seems to be going by fast for me, but not fast enough. I just want to have this baby and know that everything will be well.

I, lately, get high readings at the doc's office. Kind of like White Coat Syndrome. I can feel the bp creeping up! I hate the part where they take my bp. It's always fine at home.

All I can say is that we should be grateful to be able to have pre-natal care. There are so many women worldwide that can't afford it.

Like my DH said "Let it be". So it will be what it will be and we know that we are doing what we can to have the smoothest pregnancy possible.

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Fri Apr 10, 2009 09:51 am

I'm glad to hear your BP is so good!

I can't really say anything about your dr's decision, as things work so differently in my country... I wouldn't know if that's okay or not, but obviously the well-being of a baby (and mama) should come before anything else!

Karoliina

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Thu Apr 09, 2009 09:34 pm

I am glad that you were doing well at your appointment.

I know that my Peri wanted me inducted between 37-39 weeks with my second pregnancy because things can go so fast and furious at the end of pregnancy with pre-e. My OB scheduled my induction at 39 weeks because the hospital would not let her induce before 39 weeks without an amnio to make sure that babies lungs were mature unless it was medically necessary (mom or baby were at immediate risk). I have heard lots of gals mention the same thing around here. I think that a good question for your OB would be if they plan on doing an amnio for lung maturity, because while 36 weeks is great, it is not at term. Of course, if things were going bad I would want to be induced (or are you a repeat c-section?) right away at that point, but if it were just for the convenience of my OB, I would not be happy either.

As far as thinking about switching doctors, you have to do what is best for you. Good luck with your decision.

Take care.

bgorr

Postby bgorr » Thu Apr 09, 2009 08:31 pm

Well update - appointment went fine - BP was 130/80 which is good for me. No protein on the dip (I've had trace protein at 28/29 weeks in my 2 other pregnancy's although second came to nothing).

So I'm still not medicated (for a hypertensive I think thats pretty good) - but my OB has decided to deliver at 36 weeks??? I'm really really upset by this as its earlier than in my second pregnancy where I was hypertensive the whole way through. I get the feeling they just couldn't get a booking any later so they figure that will do. When I got alittle upset my OB just kind of smiled and said if my BP was still perfect they would "try" to push the date out. Well what are the chances of that for a hypertensive? He's a great doctor with a lousy bedside manner!! It has really upset me over the last few days - while I know 36 weeks is great - and by the end we may be happy to get that far - I can't help feeling like hospital protocol is being treated as more important than my bub.

Afterall - we are doing OK so far!!! I've been so upset - contemplating shifting doctors/ hospitals which is just adding to my stress levels.

Sorry needed to vent..........it does sound like alot of our April/May bubbas are doing so well - great news all round. Here's hoping we get there too in the end!

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Sun Apr 05, 2009 07:23 pm

Jen, I'm the same way! I actually look forward to appointments because that's when I feel "safest". And of course now that I'm on bedrest, I look forward to them because it means I can get out of the house, and DH doesn't trust me to drive right now so he brings me to my appointments and I get alone time with him. :)

joker

Postby joker » Sun Apr 05, 2009 07:12 pm

Well, I'm actually the opposite, going to the doc makes me feel less stressed! I do agree with Sabrina though and get there a little early and sit and relax. I usually put in my ipod and close my eyes and rest before they call me back.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:04 am

For the first several appts with Cate, I would get there a few minutes early. I brought an ipod with me. I would put one earbud in so I could hear when they called me. I would listen to relaxing songs before the appt and while I was waiting in the exam room. It helped a lot. I did this when my bp and stress level was high at the first appt. My ob said it was probably because I had just had a miscarriage and was nervous being back.

mother bear

Postby mother bear » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:11 am

Check out some advice about stage fright. I have the same problem, but it's a form of performance anxiety for me.

kbunsey

Postby kbunsey » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:40 am

I have an appointmnet on Thursday afternoon this week and the next 5 days will be sooooo looooooong in anticipation/anxiousness. I'm getting a massage today - hopefully it will relax me some. Sorry, no other great advice. It is hard, tiring work managing nervousness during this pregnancy and I'm only 10 weeks in. Do the best you can and if you feel anxious/nervous, oh well. Don't get down on yourself for that too! Perhaps just try to surrender to it and surround yourself with people who will love you and carry you when you feel like you can't do it for yourself.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”