My Appointment this week.

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
mama2aredhead

Re : My Appointment this week.

Postby mama2aredhead » Thu Jun 05, 638606 3:45 pm

Yay for passing the GD test! Sorry you had to deal with that nurse! And yay for having a plan!

ambersjourney

Postby ambersjourney » Thu Jun 05, 638606 10:28 am

I called and spoke to nurse B today. Passed my GD test-woohoo for that! No more yucky syrup drinks. :) I also asked her about nurse A rooming me. She said all I had to do was tell the check in desk to call her to room me and she would take care of me. I took it from a, 'What do I need to do standpoint?'

Amanda,-Yup, turns out it is not completely nurse A's fault that I didn't get the testing. I asked nursed B, by the way who usually does that? She said Doc orders it. So I was a little quick to point fingers. I don't know if it was written in my chart before or not though, however I am just going to drop it. Nurse A is the nurse who works with my doc but they were not busy, another reason I was surprised. I am just going to be sure to communicate with nurse B. I have ALL my remaining appointments already scheduled. Woohoo!

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Thu Jun 05, 638606 3:10 am

Hey!
About the nurse - just another thought here - is the nurse in question the one that *usually* works with that doctor? The only reason that I ask is because it could have been that the staff was just slammed yesterday and that, instead of making you wait and/or causing a backlog, they decided or needed to just have that nurse handle the appointment.

Please understand that I'm only *hoping* that I am giving another option...

Also, about the GD testing, honestly, that's your doctor's job to make the request for that testing, unless he wrote it in your chart and ordered the test the 'ball' was dropped there.

I'm so glad you have a plan now - like Karoliina said - it's so much easier and assuring to have one!

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Wed Jun 04, 638606 4:10 pm

I'm sorry to hear you had to deal with that nurse again, and need to take the effort and complain again, but I'm glad you're going to do it anyway instead of giving up.

Other than that everything sounds good and I'm happy you have a plan now. It's always easier to live with than without one!

Karoliina

ambersjourney

Postby ambersjourney » Mon May 26, 638606 4:07 am

No, I am not calling about the GD testing. I will be calling because the office manager told me that I would have no further interaction with nurse A. Then when I went for this appt nurse A roomed me.. took my bp. etc. The last issue I had with her was at my last appt when she told me that I was taking my bp wrong and I did not have high blood pressure and I did not need to be on blood pressure medication!

debbie78

Postby debbie78 » Sun May 25, 638606 9:37 pm

I agree that the staff can make all the difference, and I'm sorry that you are continuing to have to deal with that nurse. Hopefully you will see some changes there, but if not, I hope you are able to have a pleasant experience for the rest of your pregnancy.
But, on a happier note, everything sounds good right now and that's great! April 21st isn't too far away!!

mom29

Postby mom29 » Sun May 25, 638606 3:58 pm

Is it possible the dr. will have already addressed the issue of your gd test not being done yet with the nurse? Will calling even change anything for you? Perhaps you could sit tight and see what they do at the next appointment? I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with his staff. The OB I went to for 17 years got such terrible staff that I decided I am never going back to him again.

ambersjourney

My Appointment this week.

Postby ambersjourney » Sun May 25, 638606 3:46 pm

Well...it was good and it was bad. I had my appointment on Monday but I was disappointed and was trying not to think about it, so I haven't posted till now.

Some of you may be aware of the issue with the nurse I have had and the letters that I have written about the situation to the office manager. In my last conversation with her she told me that they would have someone other than that nurse, 'A' room me. She also directed me to call nurse 'B' when I had questions or concerns. SOOOOO when nurse A roomed me I was shocked and furious. But I did not want it to ruin my appointment so I chose to grin and bear it. Of course this is also another reason I have been trying to not think about it. Because now I need to call and address the fact that what I was told -that its not happening.

So the Dr portion of my visit was thorough. We discussed everything. I wanted a VBAC but was told in all likelihood its not going to happen. He said our goal is 37 weeks. The chance of spontaneous labor before then is really low. If we need to have the baby before 37 weeks then we'll deliver sooner but 37 is our goal date. He wanted me to get my first steroid injection at the appointment. As he was writing the order, I opened my big mouth and asked about the standard GD testing. (I am 30 weeks and haven't had it yet... thank you nurse 'A'.) His back was to me but he froze and tensed up.... and then said, lets do that GD today and the injection later this week. Of course I know but just wasn't putting 2 and 2 together that steroid raises your blood sugar levels so it can be an issue. So duh. Now I will have had to go to the Dr's office 3 times this week. (My husband and I share a vehicle and we have a 1 and 2 year old... so it takes some effort to get in.) I did the yucky and boring GD test yesterday. I am not really worried about the results. I know its a standard test. But I hope that the unspoken part with my doc was received that nurse 'A" whom I have been complaining about again dropped the ball!

So the good news is we have a plan. I didn't have to beg for steroids -which I was prepared to do! My protein looks good. Pressures are in the controlled zone for now. I know we will be having baby by April 21st.

Bad news, I have to call and 'complain' or see what went wrong as far as me not seeing this nurse. I already got the feeling that I am being perceived as a problem patient that no one wants to have to deal with. I just want appropriate care.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”