Tubal VS Vasectomy----

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
bgorr

Re : Tubal VS Vasectomy----

Postby bgorr » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:51 pm

Such a tough question - and one which we are thinking about as well. While I know this is my last pregnancy (and am more than fine with that) I just don't want to do it (the tubal).

My doctors are very pro us doing something permanent - as they have made it clear they don't want to see me again, but I just can't get my head around it. Totally irrational.

I have a friend who had it done during her second c section about 2 months ago - she said it was absolutely fine, recovery no worse than it would have been with just the c section. Something to be said for getting it all over and done with at the one time I guess.

melly

Postby melly » Wed Feb 25, 2009 09:04 pm

I had two vaginal births so tubal wasn't really the way I wanted to go. Dh agreed to have a vasectomy. He was told that it was permanent and irreversable. He didn't have lasar surgery so that may have been the difference. His Dr told him that the lasar surgery has a higher incidence of regrowth. So I guess if it were gauranteed to be reversible that it might also be more likely to reconnect on its own without you being prepared for it. I'd ask a lot of questions.

Dh was in a lot of pain for at least a week after the surgery. He really wasn't prepared for it to be so bad. He had softball size swelling in his scrotum...sorry TMI. He says that if he'd known how painful and how long it'd take to recover he'd never have done it. But now he's been tested and is sterile so we are happy its behind us. I'd never ask him to even try to have it reversed after the pain he went through with the first surgery.

tracym

Postby tracym » Wed Feb 25, 2009 06:10 pm

I had a laparascopic TL 6 months after Kate was born. Recovery was painful for a day but fine after that. I did have a couple of very heavy cycles after that, but now they have evened out. I have not noticed any other hormonal changes.

I didn't have to work hard to convince the dr's to do it. They did point out that they don't normally do it in women under 35 (I was at the time) and certainly not until a year after a birth. (This is under our public health system.) Once I reminded them of my history and she had a quick read through my notes...she scheduled it without hesitation.

Am I sad that I can never have another pregnancy? Yes. But I don't regret it at all. I'm not willing to risk another pregnancy, the last one nearly killed me.

mom29

Postby mom29 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 04:14 pm

The unthinkable happened to me and my son died when he was 14 months old. I was very very thankful we had not done anything permanent after his birth. A friend once told me that it is wise not to make any permanent birth control decisions when you are pregnant or have an infant. A few women who post here said during their pregnancies they absolutely were not going to ever get pregnant again, they've changed their minds.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Wed Feb 25, 2009 03:51 pm

Have you looked into the paraguard IUD (also called the copper T)? It doesn't have any hormones and lasts for (I think) ten years. The Mirena is the one you hear more about; it has a synthetic hormone and often elimates monthly period bleeds; the paraguard does NOT cause your period to stop and it does not have hormones so it shouldn't affect your bp at all. I'd spend some time looking into all the alternatives. It's a big, lifelong decision that you need to be sure about before you do it (and I know you know this!).

moreheadcity

Postby moreheadcity » Wed Feb 25, 2009 01:25 pm

I'm 100% positive I don't want to go through another pregnancy. However, what if something happens to the baby (GOD FORBID) and I've already been sterlized??????????? He's going to be early, we KNOW that for sure. How early, we don't know. There is a doc in Florida that guarentees a reversal on the big V------without getting put to sleep like I would have to be.... I have to be careful about any birth control that would affect my blood pressures negatively....I just want to be able to RELAX and know we are protected but have the option to undo it if the unthinkable happens.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:02 am

I was certain that I never wanted to be pregnant again, and since they were already going to be in there, it seemed logical. I filled out my forms at 34 weeks, so it's definitely not an "on the table" decision. I was able to change my mind about having it up until I walked into the OR. If we ever want another baby, we'll adopt. As I understand it, both are considered "permanent" birth control methods, but they can atempt to reverse both. I suspect neither can truly be guaranteed to be successful if reversed and if "reversible" is something you're looking for, you probably shouldn't do either of those methods and look into something else like Mirena, etc.

moreheadcity

Postby moreheadcity » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:39 am

quote:Originally posted by Amanda

I would hesitate to state that a vasectomy is reversible - I would go and research that before I used it as the reason if in fact that you aren't really ready to make a permanent decision. And Holly's experience was mine - it didn't impact my recovery nor did it take more than an additional 5 minutes.

Good luck!

I know what you are saying. I AM 100% positive I NEVER want to got thru another pregnancy. HOWEVER, I just think, what if I am on the table, and I make the WRONG decision and something happens to the baby AFTER the fact------?????????? I'm totally sterilized. That would be the ONNNNNNNNNNNNLY reason to CONSIDER another pregnancy. I've read that vasectomies ARE reversible if done by a good doc within like a 5 year period of it being done====there is a doc in Florida that GURANTEES he can reverse it------for 5gs......... And it wouldn't require general----KWIM?

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:22 am

I would hesitate to state that a vasectomy is reversible - I would go and research that before I used it as the reason if in fact that you aren't really ready to make a permanent decision. And Holly's experience was mine - it didn't impact my recovery nor did it take more than an additional 5 minutes.

Good luck!

moreheadcity

Postby moreheadcity » Wed Feb 25, 2009 08:57 am

quote:Originally posted by hols537

I forgot to mention, the tubal added only 5 minutes to the surgery.

Hmmmm.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”