Concerns - paranoia or intuition?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
karoliina

Re : Concerns - paranoia or intuition?

Postby karoliina » Tue Mar 10, 2009 03:33 pm

Thanks, Sush!

You're right going to L&D is not so much fun, but I'd still feel a lot better if I had even one NST and growth scan to find out Dani is all fine... Especially if my protein would go up, say, to 900 mg and BP to 160/93, and they still wouldn't want to even do an NST and U/S. *rolls eyes* Please note that this was a doctor, who's never even seen me or my medical records for that matter, so I wouldn't call them "my" doctor. :)

The blood work came back good, too. I did come up with a new theory of pancreatitis, LOLOL, but I'll let it sit until next Tuesday when I have a dr's appointment, and will ask about it then. I also decided to do my next 24-hour test only right before that appointment, so that I can try and forget about the disease until Sunday. I will take my BP a couple of times a day, though, tehehehe.

Going to read your post now, I hope everything's well with you, too, Sush darling!

Karoliina

susheli

Postby susheli » Tue Mar 10, 2009 04:04 am

YAY Karoliina - what happy news!! So glad that you're feeling better and that Dani is growing so well. :-)
And although it's certainly reassuring to go to L&D, it's also really stressful and uncomfortable to have to be there - as I had to remind myself yesterday evening :-( ... (I'll post about it in a minute). So if your dr is confident that you and Dani are alright, enjoy feeling calm and relaxed at home! And your nurse sounds great, how wonderful to have her for extra reassurance.

I hope those flu symptoms will stay far, far away and that you can continue to enjoy your last weeks of this pregnancy without worrying too much. :-)

Hugs!

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Mon Mar 09, 2009 03:50 pm

Hehe, things change so fast - yesterday I was sure there was something seriously wrong with me (well, something = PE), but today is a good day and I feel relaxed for the first time in ages!

First I called my nurse about the protein levels. To my surprise they had stayed exactly the same, at 290 mg/dl! I wasn't prepared for that, but took the good news happily. :) I know it doesn't mean they won't go up anymore in this pregnancy, but still. Yay!

Both the nurse and I were a little astonished, though, as she read the reply to her consultancy request from the L&D. The doctor had said that there's no need for me to go to L&D for monitoring or anything, unless my protein levels go up over 1,000 mg/dl and/or my diastolic pressure will go up and stay constantly over 95. That was a bit of a let down to find out nobody's going to be concerned unless I get seriously more sick. But my nurse said that even though she shouldn't say things like this out loud, she thinks that if my proteins go over 300 mg/dl (she wants me to take another test this week) and my BP gets more frequently over 140/90, I should just go to L&D without calling them and asking if I should... Bless her!

Then at the actual appointment the best news was that I'm measuring well again, and I think the notching of the last visit was just because there was a different nurse and I guess they all measure us in their own way. So I'm not very worried about Dani's growth now. Also his heartbeat was all good, and the nurse said his head is already very firmly engaged. :)

My weight gain had also slowed down (had gained around 2 pounds in 2 weeks now) and everything was okay. My BP was 138/82, around the average I'm getting with my home monitor these days, so I can trust those readings also from now on.

I'm not anemic, actually. My HB was still pretty low (113), but it shouldn't cause nosebleeds. I'm hoping the nosebleed yesterday was just because of the incipient flu, dry air and such, and not because of anything funky with my liver. One thing the L&D doctor had done was asking me to go for blood tests, so I did today and will find out about the results tomorrow, but I don't think there will be anything wrong there, as I haven't had any problems with my bloodwork in this or earlier PE pregnancy.

The flu is not too bad. I hardly ever get one, and when I do, they always seem to be mild, like now, too. I've felt pretty normal after this morning, when I took Panadol for the aching muscles, and it helped. My nose is a little blocked, but it's nothing extreme.

My upper abdomen/back area feels still a little tight, but maybe it's just because it is crowded there now with the growing baby and all the organs. :)

I don't know, I just feel like I can breath freely now for some time. I still think I'm borderline preeclamptic, but I'm so happy I didn't have to go to a hospital yet, and that Dani seems to be growing after all. And it's great my nurse is still wanting to monitor me closely, so we'll know soon enough if things start going south.

My next appointment (not just with my nurse, but also a doctor) is next Tuesday (week from now), and I'm looking forward to that to find out how my cervix is, as I'm having quite a lot of contractions already. This week I still need to call about the blood tests and do yet another 24-hour test, but I still feel I can probably relax a lot and not think about PE all the time. Woo-hoo!

Thanks Alison and Sush for your well-wishes!

... and this novella was written by your ever industrios author Karoliina 34+3 :DDD

susheli

Postby susheli » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:25 am

I'm so sorry you've been feeling worse. I'm thinking of you, Karoliina! Please let us know what happened at the clinic this afternoon. ((((((HUGS)))))))

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Mon Mar 09, 2009 09:57 am

That stinks about the flu, but better the flu than PE! :)

I hope you are feeling better soon!

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Mon Mar 09, 2009 02:17 am

Thanks!

It's morning now, and I'm not feeling too good, but I really think it's mostly flu-related. I noticed in the morning that my nose had bled even more, when I had blown it at night, but I read it could be because of anemia I apparently suffer from - even though I've been taking iron supplements for over a month now.

The headache is gone, but my mid-back is still hurting - but so are many other parts in my body now because of the flu.

BP was around 135/75 when I got up, so not too bad, even though I usually get even lower numbers in the mornings.

I'll try to work now a little and will probably call my clinic at noon when they have the phone-in hour, to ask about the protein levels. I have an appointment at 2 pm there, too, but I probably want to call already before that. And take my BP a couple of times in the am.

Karoliina

moreheadcity

Postby moreheadcity » Sun Mar 08, 2009 06:36 pm

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon!!!!!! Stay in bed till you get in!

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Sun Mar 08, 2009 04:57 pm

I'm a little concerned now.

Today my head has been hurting since around noon, and it's now 10.30 pm here. I've taken Panadol (paracetamol) twice, and it hasn't helped. BUT Stella (our daughter) has a flu, and I think I might be coming down with that, so I'm wondering if I'm having this headache because of it. It's _very_ much like my migraine headaches, although not quite as severe as they sometimes are, but it seems to be getting worse. Paracetamol doesn't help with my migraine, either, but it's the only OTC painkiller pregnant women are allowed to take here.

So I don't know if this is regular migraine triggered by flu, or _the_ headache. The pain is one-sided and throbbing. I haven't had migraine in either pregnancies earlier, so I guess it would be a little weird if this was it. (I just have it regularly when I'm not pregnant.)

When I was putting Stella to bed, I thought I saw this flashing ball of light a couple of times in the corner of my eye, but then I thought I was maybe imagining it, being worried. I took my BP twice a little later, and whereas diastolic number was normal (higher than my baseline, but normal for me these days) 77-80, systolic was 155-158. I re-took it now, 1,5 hours later and it had lowered to around 138/78.

I was feeling like crap today after the weekly cleaning of the house, and the upper left side pain (I know it's the "wrong" side) I've had for a couple of months already worsened, and seemed to be radiating all around me, it felt like my bra was too tight, and I took it off (sorry for TMI!). It was more around my back, but also in the front. It slowly got better, but I still feel a little "tight" all around my upper abdomen, if I for example breath deeply.

I have been thinking about calling L&D, but as my BP got lower, I think I'll wait until the morning. Tomorrow I'm getting my latest 24-hour result anyway, which will most likely be over 300 mg and then they have to see me. Now I hesitate to call, as they never called me back the last time, the nurse was a little rude, and I wouldn't want to deal with that now. Not to mention it always seems more difficult to go this late at night.

They did say to come in, if I got a headache, but if this is just flu and migraine, I'd feel silly.

Also twice now that I've blown my nose, it has bled a little, and it NEVER does. But of course, it could be the flu is drying up my nose, even though I haven't really come down with it yet.

Sorry this is long again.

Karoliina 34+2

ETA: It's midnight now and I'm going to bed. Just took my BP again and it waa 138/89, so pretty much borderline. I'll call L&D in the morning if the headache is still there and BP hasn't gotten lower.

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Thu Mar 05, 2009 03:25 pm

Thanks so much for your kind words, Waitinghopefully and Sush! It means so much!

They never called me from L&D today, so apparently they're not wanting to see me yet. I can wait until next week, but I'm just starting to get really anxious with this waiting... It's probably due to hormones, too, but I feel so tired mentally, and I keep snapping at Stella and hubby, and feel awful afterwards. :( I'm also bursting into tears so easily these days - and I had none of this in my first pregnancy. Ugh, I hate this!

Yesterday I had my first "official PE BP reading" (LOL), 141/95, before I went to bed, but it's been below that today. Only one systolic reading over 140, and all diastolics below 90.

This is not PE related or even worrisome, but my bump has been hard as a rock all day today, and even standing up has been very uncomfortable. No painful contractions, but more like one annoying one that has lasted all day and evening..

Sorry for complaining again. It's not been a good day, as you can tell. Tomorrow morning I'm taking another 24-hour collection to the lab, but will probably have the results only on Monday.

Sorry to post this much, just needing this right now.

Karoliina

susheli

Postby susheli » Thu Mar 05, 2009 08:15 am

Hi Karoliina,

I just saw your post and wanted to answer right away. I'm so sorry PE seems to be creeping closer, but how good for you and Dani that you are a "creeper". I understand that you want a growth scan, especially as Stella was small for her age. My little girl was too and that's the first thing I asked about during my last appointment with this baby - and I'm only 14 weeks! How frustrating that your referral was stalled by "paperwork" (argh, I know what our European state health systems can be like in both their excellent and not-so-great ways...).

Please try to rest as much as possible and not worry too much - I know, much easier said than done. I'm reassured for you that you watch yourself so closely and that you're being seen regularly. And Dani was a good weight as I remember at your last US, right? And 34 weeks without PE or only borderline is truly great! (I wish and hope with all my heart that I'll get that far again without getting too sick... funny, I guess, in a sad way how our aims and hopes change in a high-risk pregnancy... and we find ourselves wishing for growth-scans and 34week marks instead of, hmmmm, massages and bright-colored prams like "normal" pregnant women ... )

I hope you can still enjoy these last weeks of your pregnancy despite the strains and I'm so glad you got to go to your spa-weekend and had a (mostly) good time.

(((((((Hugs and thinking of you and Dani))))))

Return to “Pregnant Again?”