Nice to meet you all!

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
ambersjourney

Re : Nice to meet you all!

Postby ambersjourney » Tue Feb 03, 2009 01:12 pm

Welcome! I understand what you mean about being 'aware' . It makes me calmer gathering information so that I am prepared for the what if's. I am currently 26.1 wk/days pregnant. Ready to fast forward a good ten weeks already! LOL.

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:09 am

Nice to meet you, Sush! I'm also looking forward to getting to know you - and congratulations on your pregnancy. :)

Karoliina

susheli

Postby susheli » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:25 am

Hi and welcome! I'm new here too and am almost 11 weeks pregnant with my second. I grew up in Europe, am American and Austrian by nationality and now live in Paris with my French husband. I'm always fascinated by and on the look-out for ways in which PE is treated different here in Europe than in the US.
It sounds like even though you had PE first time round, you and your baby girl did really, really well - getting to 37weeks is fantastic. I'm sure that must be a good sign for this pregnancy. But I understand so well how hard it is not to worry the second time round - my "protection" is also to inform myself as best I can.
I look forward to getting to know you better over the next months! Take care!

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:38 am

Thanks, AundAPenner, and hallo to a fellow European. :)

Karoliina

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Tue Feb 03, 2009 08:19 am

Hi Karoliina! Welcome to these boards ... I'm off to read your other post, but wanted to share that I'm not too far from you - Germany. I'm originally from the States, but we moved here nearly 2 years ago!

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Tue Feb 03, 2009 05:59 am

Thank you, Jenny, for the warm welcome!

Karoliina

dolphinjen

Postby dolphinjen » Tue Feb 03, 2009 05:32 am

Welcome Karoliina. I am new here as well. You will find much strength and support here.

karoliina

Nice to meet you all!

Postby karoliina » Tue Feb 03, 2009 03:37 am

Hello everybody,

I've been lurking for a little while here and have found this forum a great source of knowledge - thanks to all members! Today I decided to register and introduce myself. I don't have a gift of conciseness, so I apologise in advance for the length of this and following posts. :)

I'm from Finland (Europe) and will be 32 in this month. We have a 2-year-old daughter Stella with my DH and are now pregnant (week 29) with her little brother, we call Dani for now. I had preeclampsia when I was pregnant with Stella, and now I'm worried and convinced I'm going to get it again - but so far so good.

I guess the only risk factor for me in the first pregnancy was that my mum developed PE in hers, but I didn't even know that back then, and even though I had heard of PE I wasn't familiar with the symptoms, causes or effects. The pregnancy was extremely easy and I felt wonderful. My mum had never mentioned her PE because she wasn't even sure of the diagnose. Reading her medical records from that pregnancy I found out she had rapid weight gain, but nothing else before week 38, when her BP suddenly jumped up high and they found protein in her urine. She was sent to a hospital, but almost immediately she went spontaneously into the labour, and my sister was born the next day normal-sized. So it wasn't a real issue for my mum and as she didn't get it with me or with my younger sister, she had never given it that much thought.

There's also chronic hypertension in the family, but my personal BP baseline is very low. I'm not overweight and shouldn't have any underlying disorders. I know the migraine theory is not official yet, but I get migraines, as does my mum. My older sister doesn't, and even though she has chronic high BP, she never developed PE in her first pregnancy.

Anyway, looking back now I think my PE started developing after week 27 with a rapid weight gain (more than 2 pounds per week), BP slowly creeping up and uterus starting to measure small. But I didn't suspect anything, and apparently neither did my nurse. I was diagnosed with PE week 35, when my BP was 140/96 (my baseline is around 120/60) and dipstick showed ++ with protein. Two weeks earlier there was 1+ of protein and BP of 132/84, so thinking about it now I'm surprised the nurse didn't send me to the hospital for a check-up already then.

I never had any "subjective" symptoms such as headaches, visual disturbances or abdominal pains. There must have been some swelling with my weight gain, but I guess it was "evenly distributed" as I wasn't clearly puffy and could wear my rings and heels all the way through. When I was diagnosed they kept me in a hospital bedrest for a couple of nights, and after that they let me go home every afternoon for the night, but I had to come back each morning for a checkup - and I had to collect all my urine.

I didn't know much about PE back then and didn't realise how serious it can get - especially as I felt so fine personally. So I didn't take their orders of bedrest seriously enough, but went to crowded IKEA to shop for nursery decoration, plastered wallpaper embroideries with my husband etc. Also we don't have a car, so I was usually taking two different buses to get home and back to the hospital. They recommended taking a taxi, but I thought it would be a terrible waste of money. *rolls eyes*

Luckily nothing bad happened, and in week 37+0 I went spontaneously into labour, and the delivery was relatively easy, yet painful. Stella was born healthy (which she still is), but tiny for the weeks and estimates we had been given earlier, weighing 5,2 pounds. She didn't have to go to NICU and we stayed in the hospital for four nights as a family before going home - all of us. Breastfeeding went fine from the beginning and Stella was growing steadily, and hasn't had any problems in her growth or development. They were monitoring my urine and BP for some time after delivery and returning home, too, but I guess it took around a week, and then I didn't have to return to the hospital anymore.

I have no idea how good or bad my BP, protein levels etc. were. I can't remember, but I've just ordered the medical records from the hospital now, as I've gotten very curious about it after having read so much about the topic with this second pregnancy.

My story is a happy one compared to many others here, as I felt physically very good all throughout the experience, and both I and Stella survived without "war wounds" in all respects. But I'm still very worried now with this other pregnancy. I don't know if I'm being paranoid or if it's mother's intuition, but for some reason I'm convinced I'm going to get PE, and I'm the kind of person who wants to be prepared - and who will gather all the information she can get. I know in some people reading about all the possible symptoms, causes etc. it might add stress, but for me personally I think it makes me calmer to be aware this time. I also take my BP at home every day, even though so far it's perfect.

But I realise this is already so long, I'm going to post about my possible symptoms and concerns in this pregnancy to another thread.

It's so nice to meet all of you here, and I admire the strength of the mothers, who've gone through much worse things with this disease than I have. Kudos!

Karoliina 29+4

Return to “Pregnant Again?”