when did your swelling start?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
quincyf

Re : when did your swelling start?

Postby quincyf » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:13 am

Last time it was around 25 26 weeks...dipped a +1 at 31 weeks and +3 at 33 weeks, BP was labile during this time and skyrocketed after the +3 dip. Katherine arrived at 34 weeks. My swelling was so bad in my face and hands that my friends are still traumatized by the memory of it. This time it started about 31 32 weeks and is now pretty noticeable but nothing like last time. No protein, BP is on a slow upwards creep, but nothing diagnostic yet.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 09:25 am

I didn't get noticable swelling and I had pre-e. My medical records said I had +1 pitting edema though (or something like that), I remember them pushing near my ankles, but I didn't think I was very swollen personally. A little maybe, but not bad. I've seen far more swollen people that were pre-e free! =) =) The last week I did get puffy eyes though........

polly_purebred

Postby polly_purebred » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:50 am

I'm a bit late on this topic, but my baby was born at 28 weeks. I started noticing swelling probably at 25 weeks and just attributed it to normal pregnancy symptoms. I got the classic PE swelling (puffy face, couldn't make a fist, etc) at around 27 weeks.

christine lyn

Postby christine lyn » Sun Dec 21, 2008 07:31 pm

Swelling for me started about 25 weeks and had my son at 29 weeks.

jacobkaden

Postby jacobkaden » Sat Dec 20, 2008 05:48 pm

About 24 weeks for me.

mkvh

Postby mkvh » Sat Dec 20, 2008 05:46 pm

I started noticably swelling at about 27 weeks, and by 30 or so it was so bad I couldn't wear shoes. I wasn't diagnosed PIH till nearly 35w.

With my non-PE pregnancy, I barely swelled at all. But DD1 (PE) was born in midJuly, and DD2 (no PE) was born in early January, so I believe that did have something to do with it.

carolo

Postby carolo » Sat Dec 20, 2008 01:25 pm

I remember swelling at 6 months with Aarow. Looking back, his pregnancy was very different from my other ones, including this one. With this , and other non PE pregnancies, any swelling was gone in the morning and didn't come back till evening.

laura

Postby laura » Sat Dec 20, 2008 01:16 pm

Yep, swelling used to be on the list of symptoms used to diagnose PE, but they removed it because swelling can be a part of a normal pregnancy! I began to swell about 30 weeks, too in my PE pregnancy and around the same time with the non pe ones too. Keeping my fingers crossed it is no worry for you, either!

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:21 pm

I am so sorry about your job - what a shock.

My swelling (during my second when I was noticing things) started around 30ish weeks. In your shoes I would mention to your doctor that you are starting to get pitting edema.

Swelling can be a very normal pregnancy sign, my OB just chalked it up to one more thing to add to the list.

Take care.

kisapaduga

when did your swelling start?

Postby kisapaduga » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:12 pm

Hi!
I haven't posted a lot with this pregnancy because so far, so good! But today I noticed I'm beginning to have swelling in my legs. It's not that you can notice it by looking really, but when for example my leg presses against something for a minute or two, I have a deep indentation that can last up to an hour. I remember having this with my son, but I don't remember when it started.
I'm only 16 weeks right now; my b/p has been a little higher the last week or two (130's/60-70's, instead of systolic being in the 120's). I'm not too worried about it right now. I just found out I lost my job last night (boss calls, don't come in tomorrow, your position has been eliminated, along with several others in the dept. -- thanks for the notice!!! No one saw that coming) It's hard to find a job when you're pregnant, especially when you don't know when you'll have to go on leave, and it was the perfect part-time job. Glad I didn't take my b/p last night!!

Just wondering what the earliest is that anyone has noticed swelling that is present earlier in the day and not related to standing on feet for a long time. And did the pregnancy end up PE free??

Thanks!
Alisa

Return to “Pregnant Again?”