Blood Pressure at Home vs. at Docs

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
mintmommy

Re : Blood Pressure at Home vs. at Docs

Postby mintmommy » Tue May 06, 638600 1:05 am

Hypnosis would be something good to try. You never know. I'll think about it and maybe give it a shot myself.

mintmommy

Postby mintmommy » Tue May 06, 638600 1:02 am

Trish,
You know, my DH has even told me that I might be just thinking about the worst too much (about the bp) and that maybe that is why I get so panicky at the docs office while they are taking my bp.

He says that I should relax and think that thanks be to the MAN up there, we can afford for pre-natal care and that if anything happens that everything possible will be done to make it the best outcome.

I tell this to myself and I have moments of tranquility that I wish would last me forever, but I forget and fall into the same hole of anquish, fear, obession, and even depression and all because of the bp.

mintmommy

Postby mintmommy » Tue May 06, 638600 12:50 am

quote:Originally posted by trish724

I just read this online and found it interesting. . .I might give hypnosis a whirl. Regardless of the origin or length of the incidents of hypertension--it is not good for us!

http://www.hypnoticworld.com/subscripti ... ndrome.asp

Hypnosis may or may not work-I don't really know a lot about it--but it is interesting and worth a try. It might be fun. I don't know about self-hypnosis, you know? I'd probably end up barking like a dog or something. hahaha.

At least we are aware! Awareness is the first step to a permanent solution. the BP cuff can't hurt us-right?

Yes, you are right. It is not good for us. If bp rises then there is a big chance that arteries are being damaged. I don't know to what extent, but nevertheless they could possibly be damaged even a little...I would think.

trish724

Postby trish724 » Mon May 05, 638600 10:12 pm

And Kate,
I actually think your post is brilliant. Thank you!

trish724

Postby trish724 » Mon May 05, 638600 10:10 pm

hey kate, i totally agree with you--chronic hypertension requires a medical intervention.
I think it is the panic induced symptoms that sometimes require a different intervention. . .the mind is powerful. I think the best approach to any health condition whether hypertension, anxiety, etc, etc, is one that is holistic.

you are totally correct! if it was not for blood pressure meds during my first PE pregnancy, I would not be healthy and maybe not alive. And who knows what the future will bring. . .we all have different physical and mental dispositions that lead us to react to anxiety in different ways. And perhaps our reaction now is a preview of an underlying medical condition just waiting to rear its ugly head. . .

mintmommy

Postby mintmommy » Mon May 05, 638600 7:44 am

Kate,

Every pregnancy has its risks and its hard to just be thinking the worst.

You did not do it on purpose. I felt really bad when I was diagnosed with PE with my first. After the baby was born and saw he was so small I felt it was all my fault when in reality it was not. PE just happens.

I will keep you in my prayers.

kbunsey

Postby kbunsey » Mon May 05, 638600 6:06 am

"May I ask what exactly happened for such an outcome with your pregnancy?"

I deleted my PE story that I originally posted in response here. It is so long. I don't think this is the appropriate discussion thread for my long story. Sorry.

mintmommy

Postby mintmommy » Mon May 05, 638600 5:05 am

quote:Originally posted by kbunsey

Not meaning to be argumentative, but...I am certified to teach yoga, I practice Qigong, meditation, go on retreats, get massotherapy, take vitamins, crushed flax seeds in water, get acupuncture, eat a plant-based diet, make most of my own meals, avoid caffeine, avoid sodium, walk regularly, lead a moderately physical lifestyle, go to psychotherapy, don't smoke, maybe have one or 2 drinks a week, maybe... and do those things "cure" or "treat" my CHT? Nope. Doing all of those things, without meds and I'd be in the "high normal" range of blood pressures. so, for a slender 31-year old woman my BP might resemble that of an overweight 41-year old guy. (Infuriating!!!)

So, what really works for me? Blood pressure medicine.
Do those other things help? Absolutely!
Do I hate that I have CHT despite my healthy lifestyle? YES!

A nephrologist suggested that I might be able to be managed w/ out meds as I lead a healthy lifestyle, but, for me, considering what happened in my last pregnancy w/ out meds, without high risk care, without extremely careful attention to my "high normal" blood pressure - a life without BP meds is not an option for me! My pressures are treated, monitored and managed from ttc on.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from trying anything to treat their BP - believe me - I will try anything too - I religiously eat 4 sticks of celery a day b/c I read in a natural healing book that celery helps BP. I get it! i used to chalk things up to, "I just need to learn how to relax" and "I need to practice my yoga more passionately." I practiced yoga up until the day before I was admitted to the hospital w/ PE. I had a horrible pregnancy experience that ended with a stillborn baby and if taking a small dose of blood pressure medicine from the start of my next pregnancy will help me to have a healthy, living baby - I'll take the medicine in addition to my other healthy activities.

As the nephrologist also said, "There's no reason to be hypertensive."

I see, you had PE. I just have anxiety. I am only about 12 weeks pregnant. I had PE with my first child. I have 3 boys now. The 2nd and 3rd no PE nor anything else. They were healthy pregnancies (i.e., no meds of any sort other than the pre-natals), however, I did have the anxiety creeping up a bit with the 3rd pregnancy. The baby is 1 year old now and healthy.

Also, I know that any pregnant woman can get PE (i.e., an heatlhy athlete, obese, thin, etc...). PE does not discriminate.

mintmommy

Postby mintmommy » Mon May 05, 638600 3:22 am

quote:Originally posted by kbunsey

Not meaning to be argumentative, but...I am certified to teach yoga, I practice Qigong, meditation, go on retreats, get massotherapy, take vitamins, crushed flax seeds in water, get acupuncture, eat a plant-based diet, make most of my own meals, avoid caffeine, avoid sodium, walk regularly, lead a moderately physical lifestyle, go to psychotherapy, don't smoke, maybe have one or 2 drinks a week, maybe... and do those things "cure" or "treat" my CHT? Nope. Doing all of those things, without meds and I'd be in the "high normal" range of blood pressures. so, for a slender 31-year old woman my BP might resemble that of an overweight 41-year old guy. (Infuriating!!!)

So, what really works for me? Blood pressure medicine.
Do those other things help? Absolutely!
Do I hate that I have CHT despite my healthy lifestyle? YES!

A nephrologist suggested that I might be able to be managed w/ out meds as I lead a healthy lifestyle, but, for me, considering what happened in my last pregnancy w/ out meds, without high risk care, without extremely careful attention to my "high normal" blood pressure - a life without BP meds is not an option for me! My pressures are treated, monitored and managed from ttc on.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from trying anything to treat their BP - believe me - I will try anything too - I religiously eat 4 sticks of celery a day b/c I read in a natural healing book that celery helps BP. I get it! i used to chalk things up to, "I just need to learn how to relax" and "I need to practice my yoga more passionately." I practiced yoga up until the day before I was admitted to the hospital w/ PE. I had a horrible pregnancy experience that ended with a stillborn baby and if taking a small dose of blood pressure medicine from the start of my next pregnancy will help me to have a healthy, living baby - I'll take the medicine in addition to my other healthy activities.

As the nephrologist also said, "There's no reason to be hypertensive."

I do the same as far as no caffeine, no sugar, eat lots of fruits and vegetables high in magnesium, potassium and that are diuretic (like the celery). I have lost enough weight to make things better. I live a very tranquil life (i.e., DH is the best). I sometimes feel like I am spoiled. I need a placebo.

I have also thought at times that if I need meds, by all means take them. I am afraid of taking meds without needing them and it scares me that they can hurt the baby.

Would you think that if I have anxiety issues that bp meds would be the answer?

I just took my bp again and the first number was 140/80 then I took it immediately after that and it went to 120s/80s then again and 116/72 and then again 118/69 and then again 120/71 and then again 112/69.

It looked like this all within two/three minutes while sitting down (I had just woken up and had just used the restroom):

140/80
122/82
116/71
118/69
120/71
112/69

?????

My first one is always the highest either normal or in the danger zone but the first one is always high.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon May 05, 638600 2:52 am

I've sent a query out to our Experts on this. We only have some older commentary, and there's been new work.

It's my current understanding that, regardless of what *sort* of anxiety causes your blood pressure to spike -- doctor visits, fights with your DH, traffic -- if blood pressure spikes, it spikes. Blood pressure that spikes signals an underlying dysregulation, because if it *wasn't* dysregulated, it wouldn't do that.

Researchers are well-aware that the mind, the brain, and the vasoregulatory system are all interconnected -- many vasoregulators like acetylcholine are also neurotransmitters -- which is one of the things that's led them in this direction.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”