Spoke too soon ... a bit long

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
joker

Re : Spoke too soon ... a bit long

Postby joker » Sat Dec 20, 2008 07:06 pm

Just wanted to say that I am thinking of you!

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Sat Dec 20, 2008 03:18 pm

Alice,

I'm so sorry things are already getting iffy. I, like others, hope it is just a fluke and you go on to do really well.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but my first 3 were "full term" inductions at 38.5 weeks and 2 of the 3 dealt with the kind of chronic, constant sickness like you are describing with Henry. I had two preemies - a 36 weeker and a 34 weeker, and bizarre as it sounds, so far both of them have been much healthier babies than my full termers were. [And I've nursed all of them for at least 1 year so far, so that's not what is making a difference either - it is just weird].

Just... try to tell yourself the baby will be OK even if you don't make 10 more weeks [I hope you do of course!]. This will be a totally different baby, and if you end up delivering at 34 weeks again - this baby might have an iron constitution regardless, you know?

I'm so sorry you have to start worrying so soon. I was really hoping you'd make it and be able to avoid all this altogether this time around. :(

Kelly

laura

Postby laura » Sat Dec 20, 2008 01:19 pm

Ya know, most of the time folks get the BP requirement before the protenuria one... I wonder if you're seeing some sort of kidney weirdness instead of PE? I hope so. I hope the next 10 weeks go very quickly and safely.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:38 pm

Hugs. 27 is a good place to be but 37 is better so hang in there!!!! I know you must be freaking out..................I agree sring babies are way better than winter babies! Hoping ofr a spring baby for you!

Keep an eye out for the PPD also......................I had it too and it was HORRIBLE. =( =( Dont know if it's possible to have it for an entire year but if so I still have it........

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:38 am

Alice -
Did your peri say anything about redoing the 24 hr urine? I would ask to redo it to see if you get the same value - but that's just me. Here's why: your level is just over the benchmark and if there was any that was missed it could have had a higher result. I know that when mine came back kind of wacky they had mine redone.

Also, what was your pre pregnancy value? If it was anything other than abnormal then that too has an impact on what your 'new' value would be. As I've stated in other posts, for me, because I started out at not a zero the 'concern' level was a % of change over the original baseline.

You are still very far away from severe proteinuria - I believe that level is .5 and some docs won't even deliver at that level assuming there are no other symptoms - some people's kidney's are like rocks - they just handle the proteinuria differently.

Now, all of this is just my opinion and experience. I honestly think too, that every pregnancy and baby is different so a new baby might not even have some of the issues that Henry had - and - you are in such a better position to catch things early. Finally, your little one, if born at 37 weeks will be a spring baby, not a winter baby so some of the items that Henry had (RSV, etc) may be less - spring babies do better than winter babies - at least my spring baby did.

I hope that this helps - vent away - I know that it helps - I hope that this gives a different perspective that might help too!

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Wed Dec 17, 2008 09:04 am

Thanks everyone. 10 more weeks till I'm considered full-term. It feels like a lifetime away though.

But honestly, knowing I have your support means so very much to me. (and not just because of these wonderful pregnancy hormones!) :)

I didn't sleep well last night - not because of the steroid shot. In fact, starting the antibiotics seemed to really have helped my cough. But my mind is just going crazy with all the what ifs. It's a very scary place to be. Yes, 27 weeks is a good place to be ... in theory. But anything can happen.

Somehow, I have myself convinced that a full-termer would not have half of the health issues that Henry has had - from colic, a dairy allergy, reflux that required prescription meds for 1 year, overstimulation, tactile sensitivites, and then we have chronic ear infections, surgery at 6 months for tubes (in which he responded quite poorly to the anethesia - they "accidentally" pushed some of the gas into his poor tummy), RSV (albeit mild) and well, we just got back from his ped today with steroids for him for bronchitis. That boy is sick literally every 4 weeks with something way more than just a casual cold.

And to me, the "perfect" cure/fix to this all is a normal pregnancy/full-termer. I'm grieving my losses. And I feel so selfish to grieve. When I went through this all the first time, my dad had just died. My family fell apart. I was in absolute denial about the seriousness of this disease. I remember being upset that my OB didn't just take Henry at 28 weeks! Honest. Naieve. That's what I was. I suppressed so many emotions and lived in that wonderful land of denial.

And I think all of that compounded which led to me leaving my high-paying, busy, star-born career in the automotive aftermarket industry. I loved my job. But I crashed and burned. Hard. Postpartum depression took everything out of me.

This time, I want to do things differently. But I'm learning that I can control what I can control.

And I cannot control PE.

But I can allow myself time to grieve, to vent, to be honest with myself about my feelings.

And I am so blessed and thankful that I am surrounded by such an amazing group of women who just "get it" without knowing anything about me or my personal life.

suleaf

Postby suleaf » Wed Dec 17, 2008 06:26 am

Oh Alice.

I'm glad you have help and I hope that protein does not change....

Just get rest.... lots of it. And I'm hoping you pull to 37 weeks!

kimberlypfromca

Postby kimberlypfromca » Wed Dec 17, 2008 04:36 am

Hopefully it's just a hiccup...it can be nerve-wracking though, I'm sure.
Sounds like you're being followed very closely, though, which is good.
Hang in there, and enjoy the "prescribed help". I hope my peri knows about that benefit!

kbunsey

Postby kbunsey » Tue Dec 16, 2008 09:42 pm

That's so cool about the prescribed help! I am sorry about your bad news, but it sounds like you're doing well to manage evrything. Glad your BPs are behaving themselves. Be good to yourself.

debbie78

Postby debbie78 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 05:21 pm

Well that stinks that you got less than great news today. :( But, it's great that baby looks good and your bp is staying okay so far.

How awesome that you got "prescribed" help! Can I get some of that?

Take it easy. How much longer to 37w?

Return to “Pregnant Again?”