Almost had a baby on Monday ..

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
angelkat

Re : Almost had a baby on Monday ..

Postby angelkat » Thu Feb 11, 638315 5:02 pm

Sue,

I wouldn't know what labor is like.

Glad things are ok and hopefully you will get to meet your new little one...

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Thu Feb 11, 638315 1:15 pm

I hope that you get your last minute baby errands done soon and get some rest because you will have a baby before you know it.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Thu Feb 11, 638315 8:21 am

Sue,
So glad to hear an update from you! I asked around, and Kara mentioned you were still hanging in there. I had an amnio with N and E -- E's was positive so we delivered a couple hours later. With N, though, his weren't mature and I was sent home. Same thing here with the hideously regular contractions. They were pretty rough, and I think that's typical of amnios. But look at you! You survived a amnio! And? You'll be having a baby soon - a FULL term babe! You rock.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Thu Feb 11, 638315 8:05 am

You: Who knows what will happen between now and then?
Me: It sounds like you will be having a baby sooner rather than later! :)

timelessbeauty

Almost had a baby on Monday ..

Postby timelessbeauty » Thu Feb 11, 638315 4:37 am

While waiting for the shoe to drop for PE, sometimes I overlook the fact that I could be looking for other things to begin. Over the weekend I noticed that the baby dropped and had just been reading an article about how in women who have given birth before, the baby typically doesn't drop until 24-48 hours before labor is to begin, or so an article I came across had stated. So when I woke up on Monday, feeling nauseous, a bit crampy and with lower back pain, I thought hmm .. this could be the beginnings of labor? (Mind you I have been induced the other four times so I really don't know about going into this on my own.) I called up my doc and he said to come to the office. I went in and the baby looked fine, passed another BPP test, and they did an NST to help me figure out if I was having mild contractions or not. I was, pretty mild but they were there every so often as I sat for about 30 minutes. I'm 37 weeks so they decided to do an amniocentesis to check for lung maturity. (never had one of those done before and I was SCARED to death, namely because I am a HUGE needle phobic.) I was thankful my husband had gone with me because I probably would have turned white as a sheet and fainted to the floor had I been alone. Brave sort I am eh? .. Test was accomplished with minimal crying on my part, more like whimpering, and then back to the NST where I now noticed I had a 'second navel' after the test. LOL I sat and watched as I was doing ok, contractions mild and irregular, but also the baby was doing pretty much ok but they thought they saw some decels like they had on the earlier strip. At that point, I was to be admitted into the hospital next door to await test results to see if we would induce (I was at term being 37 weeks) or if I would go home. Later that afternoon I was told that my baby wasn't "ripe" yet and I could go home but the problem I saw at that moment was that I lived 35-45 minutes from the hospital (via traffic) and I was now contracting more regularly and more intensely. I didn't want to go home for fear of having the baby in the car or at home or wouldn't be able to make it back in time. They checked and sure enough my stomach was turning rock hard every 2-4 minutes and it was feeling like the beginning stage of labor to me. I was allowed to stay for observation until the morning and they would monitor me and the baby. Wheew ... I was glad because the nausea was worse, either from the nerves of having the test done, from hormones now kicking in for contractions, or potentially some bug that just happened to be going on at this same time, but I got sick. I felt at that point, I was in the right spot at the right time. I had to send my husband home because at the same time I was trying to get this situation figured out, my second oldest daughter was being discharged from preschool with an ear ache and a temperature. So he was conflicted about going home and staying for me just in case. My parents were helping out but I knew the kids needed my husband more than I did at the moment. I was in a safe place I figured where I could get the help I needed and they needed him at home for the night. After all, this would be my fifth birth and I knew what this rodeo was going to be like.

As luck would have it .. as I stayed that night, my contractions subsided and I was breathing a bit easier the next morning, but I was sore from the contractions and the amnio. And boy did this kid know exactly where to press when he started to kick around again. Ouch!

I joked with my husband later that he jinxed me into potentially having the kid on the Marine Corps Birthday on Monday. Now I'll have to aim for his birthday this weekend. hehehe ..

I'm out of the hospital now, back to regular duties/normal activities but wow .. what a crazy couple of days.

Excitement is hitting that this little guy could be here at any time and I am excited to think that maybe, just maybe, I could go on my own this time even if a bit early versus having to be induced. All things that sometimes I think I got cheated out of due to having to be induced due to PE. I'm thankful things stopped seeing the amnio test said he wasn't fully ready yet but also anxious to see this little one. So I have a week and a half to go before the scheduled induction date but who knows what will happen between now and then.

Just another day in the life....

Return to “Pregnant Again?”