Thimerosol and flu shot

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
moreheadcity

Re : Thimerosol and flu shot

Postby moreheadcity » Fri Oct 10, 2008 09:18 pm

I watched some show or read something YEARS ago talking about what could happen if a pregnant woman got the flu---like to the baby---it was scary. I have never had a flu shot in my LIFE, but I am getting one and my daughter got one already and my husband is getting one. After last year, when our house got hit with the flu (Anna got it full force, we started tamiflu and missed it) I don't want to ever see anna like that again.

eta:
http://www.womenandinfants.org/body.cfm?id=841

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Fri Oct 10, 2008 09:11 pm

I can just share that I had the real "flu" last year. I have never been so sick in my entire life. I cannot imagine going through that pregnant. I have never gotten the flu shot. But I will this year.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 06:32 pm

Here are a couple of links related to this discussion that you all might find interesting.
http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/ABOUT/QA/thimerosal.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concer ... erosal.htm

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Fri Oct 10, 2008 04:07 pm

Kim- you hit the nail right on the head! Apparently, there's a fear of autism with the mercury. However, the CDC did say that in studies done, women who did not get the flu shot had just as much of a chance of their child having autism as a woman who did get the flu shot. Sounds like it's not really related to autism IMO.

kim

Postby kim » Fri Oct 10, 2008 03:09 pm

My doctor and my daughter's pediatrician only give us the "preservative-free" flu vaccine. They usually order it one day and give it to us the day it comes in. I know the preservative-free does not have any mercury in it, but I am not sure how else it is different.

Take Care,

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri Oct 10, 2008 03:02 pm

I get one every year pregnant or not. I will ask tomorrow about it when I see my pcp.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Fri Oct 10, 2008 02:27 pm

I didn't have one when I was pregnant with Ella, and I got the flu that year and had to take tamiflu which is a higher risk category. Do over? I'd obviously get my tail into the doctor and opt for the vaccine.

Re: the thimerasol in shots. They do still manufacture the shots with it; actually with it and without. Our peds office gives the thimerasol-free for kids 3 and under and the vaccine that contains it for kids 4 and over. This is the second year BOTH my kids have received one.

quincyf

Postby quincyf » Fri Oct 10, 2008 01:59 pm

Walgreens wouldn't even consider giving it to me...I didn't realize it was my choice. Crud, now I'm going to have to look for another one...

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Fri Oct 10, 2008 01:19 pm

CDC says it's the only vaccine that does have Thimerasol. But, I've checked with the peri, and she says it's fine. In fact, they were going to give it to me at their office if I hadn't already gotten it from my allergist already.

sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby sheri-ct » Fri Oct 10, 2008 01:14 pm

It was my understanding that only older flu shots had the thiomersal. I didn't think they were using that in flu shots anymore? Am I wrong?

Return to “Pregnant Again?”