Anterior Placenta

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
hols537

Re : Anterior Placenta

Postby hols537 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 05:07 pm

Thanks everyone! I talked to my doctor. She showed me a picture of where it and it's basically covering the whole front, but is not a previa. She also said it should create no issue with my previous scar (which I wouldn't have even given a 2nd thought except a I had a classic incision). I can't help but wonder how much more I'd be feeling this guy move if not for the anterior placenta...guess it's just good to feel him so much regardless!

kathyc

Postby kathyc » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:59 pm

I had an anterior placenta with my last pregnancy. It caused no problems at all. Even if it starts low, the placenta moves up out of the way over the course of the pregnancy. I believe this is usually the case, unless there is actually a placenta previa from the beginning. (In my case, there was not, just the anterior placenta.) Definitely ask your doc, but that is how my OB explained it to me.

marthap

Postby marthap » Tue Jul 15, 2008 01:48 pm

Wow. I don't know anyone else who ever had an anterior placenta! I had an anterior placenta with my first baby as well as severe pe. She was born at 31 weeks but that had nothing to do with the placenta. I never felt a movement from her throughout almost the entire 31 weeks - it made me very anxious but she was just fine. I, too, had lots of contractions and found myself at L&D more than once - got the terbutaline a few times and again she was fine. I had a c-section without a problem. I am expecting again - no anterior placenta - and will again have a c-section. Dr. said that will not be a problem either!

hols537

Postby hols537 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 01:31 pm

It's funny about feeling movement...I was suprised when I started reading about the anterior placenta and everything kept saying stuff about feeling movement later, less, etc. However, I noticed movement pretty early with this pregnancy (16 weeks) and have noticed it a lot more and stronger than with my first. I almost wonder if that was a sign that things weren't right, but as a first time Mom didn't realize it. Oh well...I'll ask about the scar next week. I'm sure it's no big deal, but I'm a professional worrier (especially these days).

Thanks!

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:48 pm

Anterior placenta can make it harder to feel the baby move and often moms feel movement later than "normal" with an anterior placenta, but it shouldn't change how you feel from one day to the next [in other words, if you feel him fine one day, it wouldn't make you not feel him the next, you know?].

I don't know about the Cesarean scar - I would definitely ask at your next OB appt.

Kelly

hols537

Postby hols537 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 06:11 pm

I wasn't timing the contractions, but the doctor said they were like "a minute apart". I think she was exaggerating and it was more like 2 or 3 minutes. Either way, pretty often. I definitely could feel them, but they were mostly not painful, just uncomfortable. I typically get a lot of contractions, but some rest or a warm bath usually get them to stop. The strange part with yesterday is they started while I was laying down. In general, I try to drink tons of water to avoid getting dehyrdated since that's a big trigger, but I don't think that's what happened yesterday.

Anyways, if I were you, I'd put a call in just to let them know what's happening. When I do that, they usually send me for a cervical length sono and give me the "drink water and try to rest" lecture.

willow&sam

Postby willow&sam » Thu Jul 10, 2008 05:50 pm

I don't have any advice about the placenta but I'm curious about the contractions. If you don't mind my asking, how frequent/regular were they and did you feel them? I ask because I've been having a lot of contractions these past few days and keep wondering if I should get them checked out. They subside when I lie down but they keep coming back when I get up. I'm due 09/14, so we're not too far apart. Thanks.

hols537

Anterior Placenta

Postby hols537 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 05:15 pm

Hope it's OK posting a non-pre-e question...

I was noticing less movement from my little guy yesterday and when I called the office, the nurse said that it's possibly because I have an anterior placenta. After getting through yesterday, I started wondering exactly what that meant. I think I understand what it is now, but then started wondering if that could cause any issues with my previous c-section (classical incision) scar. Anyone know anything about this? I'm going to ask at my appointment next week, but was really curious in the meantime.

Thanks!

(In case you're curious, they sent me up to L&D for some monitoring. As soon as they strapped on the monitors he started moving...a lot. However, then I started having frequent and regular contractions, so they kept me for a while longer, gave me some shots of terb and finally sent me home.)

Return to “Pregnant Again?”