VBAC

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
sel79

Re : VBAC

Postby sel79 » Thu Apr 02, 638296 5:35 am

I too was conserting a VBAC with my girl. If everything went good, no PE, not over due, going into labor on my own, and so forth. My doctor said he would did it, but he did not like it. He said vaginal or c-section the goal is to have a health baby, and if a repeat c-section will give you have why chance it with labor. He promised you I would not feel a thing (my biggest fear) since my last CS I was in a lot of pain after being under general.

So after talking to my doctor, husband, and family we decided to do a repeat. That was the best decision we could make. Come to the day of the CS everything was going good I was awake and felt nothing. He got my girl out, she is crying after they removed the cord rapped around her neck 3 times. He goes to get the placenta and the first words out of his mouth were "you're luck we did this today" and all the nurses are in oh. My placenta has separated 20%, I had no signs. She is health and happy. I feel luck because I could have lost her and I did not. I am grateful to my doctor talking to me because I was the 1% that would have had complications.

But I am just one and there are many more that have a VBAC with no complications.

hvsmith

Postby hvsmith » Mon Mar 23, 638296 7:54 am

One more thing I forgot to add about the "fear factor" LOL... I actually have lots of fear of the epidural. In fact, I am terrified if I have to have a section that I will have the epidural again. It was a horrible experience for me during my c-section, and I had a very bad reaction to it (BP crashing, almost passing out). I also had a feeling that I couldn't breathe and that was horrifying to me, as well as the feeling of not being able to move. I just hated every minute of it and will seriously have a meltdown if I have to have one again. I respond FAR better to other methods of pain relief.

Plus, I have a secret weapon -- DH is an acupuncturist and plans to bring his bag of tricks to the hospital. Not necessarily needles, but heat, pressure, those types of things. It will give him a very active role in our delivery.

hvsmith

Postby hvsmith » Mon Mar 23, 638296 7:47 am

Hi Kelly!

I just wanted to say that Birthing From Within is a wonderful book! I'm so glad you mentioned it.

It's funny -- you described my first delivery, and I was STILL able to go without an epidural! I had to lay flat on my back and was induced with prostaglandins. I don't know what "normal" labor feels like!! I just know that if I can deal with it in the worst of circumstances, I can deal with a VBAC that is relatively normal. Believe me, at 9 cm, I begged for drugs. They were able to give me a shot of demerol, I believe, which did absolutely nothing. But I still treasure that birth experience, as it's all I know of a "natural" delivery.

I actually hope and pray that I can have a natural delivery this time. Emotionally, I really need it. This hospital, so long as my pregnancy stays normal, will allow me to labor any way I feel like it -- in the tub, the shower, squatting, walking, etc. I will be continuously monitored because of the VBAC, but they actually have wireless monitoring that can actually get wet in the tub! Just the idea of having freedom of movement sounds like utter Heaven.

Some difficult labors, I think, can be rooted in a deep fear of the labor process. I am one of those people who have no fear whatsoever about it, and hopefully that will work in my favor. When a person is afraid, there is so much more pain.

Thanks for sharing :)

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Mon Mar 23, 638296 7:05 am

Heather - I know you are right about the "natural" methods of induction being OK with VBAC [though I'd avoid Castor oil for a whole other set of reasons LOL!], and Prostaglandins and Cytotec are the major danger to chemical inductions, but unless I'm remembering incorrectly [always possible, believe me :) ], pitocin does still raise the risk of rupture with a VBAC - just not as much as the prostaglandins or cytotec.

As far as whether I'd labor without an epidural - heck yes! LOL! I have done a lot of pitocin/prostaglandin/cytotec labors without pain meds at this point and those *stink*. Quite frankly, I'm not doing any more inductions without the epidural. ;) But, if I had a chance at a normal, natural birth with no pit involved?!? Oooh - I dream of such an opportunity! LOL!

How painful labor is varies from woman to woman and also based on how you are *allowed* to cope with the labor by your OB or midwife. Your mom, depending on how old she is and where she delivered, may have been forced to lie in bed and just "take it" the whole time - which generally IS miserable. Moms that are allowed to be up and move around when they need to, generally have less pain than those of us forced to lie in bed the whole time.

Also, consider using water to labor in if it is allowed - women who have labored in a tub *swear* that it reduces pain tremendously. Based on how much it helped me when I had kidney stones, I'm inclined to believe them whole heartedly LOL!

There is a fantastic book on preparing for birth called "Birthing From Within". It is written by a woman who had a Cesarean with her first and a successful all natural VBAC with her second. The first part of the book deals with a lot of "birth art" and such, which you'll love it you are an "artsy" type but maybe not if you aren't. Skip that part if it doesn't work for you and go back to around page 100 when she starts talking about psychological preparation for birth - it is extremely helpful!

Good luck to you. ;)

Kelly

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Mon Mar 23, 638296 7:05 am

Heather - I know you are right about the "natural" methods of induction being OK with VBAC [though I'd avoid Castor oil for a whole other set of reasons LOL!], and Prostaglandins and Cytotec are the major danger to chemical inductions, but unless I'm remembering incorrectly [always possible, believe me :) ], pitocin does still raise the risk of rupture with a VBAC - just not as much as the prostaglandins or cytotec.

As far as whether I'd labor without an epidural - heck yes! LOL! I have done a lot of pitocin/prostaglandin/cytotec labors without pain meds at this point and those *stink*. Quite frankly, I'm not doing any more inductions without the epidural. ;) But, if I had a chance at a normal, natural birth with no pit involved?!? Oooh - I dream of such an opportunity! LOL!

How painful labor is varies from woman to woman and also based on how you are *allowed* to cope with the labor by your OB or midwife. Your mom, depending on how old she is and where she delivered, may have been forced to lie in bed and just "take it" the whole time - which generally IS miserable. Moms that are allowed to be up and move around when they need to, generally have less pain than those of us forced to lie in bed the whole time.

Also, consider using water to labor in if it is allowed - women who have labored in a tub *swear* that it reduces pain tremendously. Based on how much it helped me when I had kidney stones, I'm inclined to believe them whole heartedly LOL!

There is a fantastic book on preparing for birth called "Birthing From Within". It is written by a woman who had a Cesarean with her first and a successful all natural VBAC with her second. The first part of the book deals with a lot of "birth art" and such, which you'll love it you are an "artsy" type but maybe not if you aren't. Skip that part if it doesn't work for you and go back to around page 100 when she starts talking about psychological preparation for birth - it is extremely helpful!

Good luck to you. ;)

Kelly

superjess

Postby superjess » Mon Mar 23, 638296 5:08 am

I am 21 wks and after having my first baby by c-section under general anasthesia (PE and HELLP at 32wks), I really want to try to have a VBAC. When I woke up I was in the worst pain of my life (and I've had huge kidney stones which were awful but not as bad as a c/s). I didn't want to breathe because of the pain (no epidural) and the nurse had to keep reminding me to take breaths. My husband couldn't touch the rails of my bed without it causing me horrible pain.

My OB says a VBAC is fine as long as everything else is okay. I'll be at a big teaching hospital, so I'm confident that they can handle whatever happens. I feel like having a "normal" vaginal birth would be healing for me, actually. I hate that I "wasn't there" for Lily's birth and that I didn't see her for three days afterward. I think it kind of messed me up emotionally. It might not work out but I'd definitely like to try.

I've been thinking about it, and ultimately I just want to see my baby be born big and healthy, no matter how that needs to happen.

But if I could have my way I'd soooo have a VBAC :)

haileysmom

Postby haileysmom » Mon Mar 23, 638296 4:23 am

Are you on Heparin or Lovenox?? I know w/ Lovenox they can't give you an epidural but w/ Heparin it can be reversed w/ a drug called Protamine or else Plasma. I'm on Lovenox and switching to Heparin next week (34 weeks) so just in case I do go into labor w/out being able to wean from the drugs it could be reversed and I could get my spinal (I'm having a repeat c-section).

Most Docs don't like to do more than 3 c-sections so if you plan on having a litter of kids VBAC may be the way to go.

I've known since day one that I did not want a VBAC for the following reasons....my BP spikes during times of stress, being on blood thinner when you go into labor naturally can cause a lot of blood loss and being induced is NOT recommended given rupture rates, I've never delivered vaginally so I'm not stretched out already and it would be like a first birth, everyone I know who has attempted a VBAC ended up w/ a repeat c-section anyway, and I've heard many many horror stories from friends/co-workers that all involved vaginal delivery including two women who had severe internal tearing which required multiple surgeries. One of the women cannot have any other children and the other will require a c-section for any future pregnancy. I also know of a woman whose baby was in distress for too long from vaginal delivery which caused cerebral palsy. My sister had issues when her son's cord was wrapped around his neck and he stopped breathing (emergency c-section required), Scary stuff, too scary for me! Especially since the c-section and recovery was so much easier than I had ever expected.

It's good that it's been so long since you're c-section since you're probably well healed. If you haven't had a child vaginally than it will be like a first birth and you really won't know what to expect. From what I've heard about uterine rupture if it does happen it can be fatal to baby and Mom would most likely require a hysterectomy.

It's a very personal choice and good luck in whatever you decide!!

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Sun Mar 22, 638296 2:10 pm

My second birth was a natural birth. The contractions were bad, but nothing that I could not handle with some really good deep breaths. The contractions were much easier not being induced (I was induced for my first birth and the contractions were awful - I needed pain meds for them). Your mom is right - it is tough, but it is also an awesome feeling to have done it.

Best of luck to you.

azwiebel

Postby azwiebel » Sun Mar 22, 638296 8:39 am

Thanks for all the replies. This decision is really difficult. Has anyone ever had their uterine scar measured for thickness?? My doctor said she would use an ultrasound to measure the thickness of my scar to see if it is at a level to consider a vbac. Also i have another catch, i have never experienced labor and with being on blood thinners i'm not able to have an epidural. So, i'm curious as to what labor feels like. My mom tells me its horrible and incredibly painful but when it's done it's done so to basically tough it out. Would those of you that want/have had vbacs still consider a vbac if you couldn't have an epidural ?

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Sun Mar 22, 638296 8:37 am

I am not in a position to do a VBAC, (classical c-section), but if I were, I know I would be seriously considering it! Good Luck whatever decision you make.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”