platlet count

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
jenseib

Re : platlet count

Postby jenseib » Thu Oct 20, 638292 5:14 am

Caryn,
That helps tremendously to know that they bounce around like that. I didn't realize. And yes your post did helped me a lot.
Thanks a bunch!!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Oct 19, 638292 10:22 pm

Jennifer, it's a units mixup! She meant 147,000, which is very close to normal, but a shade low (normal range is 150,000 to 400,000.) If it had actually been 147, you would be hospitalized right now. [:)]

They start worrying about really low platelets -- under 50,000 they are afraid you won't clot in surgery -- or lowered platelets in conjunction with a bunch of other things.

Platelets can bounce around like *mad*, 147,000 is well in excess of what you need, and it's hard to spot trends in platelets because they can be manufactured or destroyed so quickly.

There are other complications of pregnancy, like ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura) that present with lowered platelets but no other symptoms of PE/HELLP.

Hope this helps -- some of our other posters are way better on platelets than I am and I hope they'll check in.

4mybabies

Postby 4mybabies » Wed Oct 19, 638292 5:58 pm

I am looking forward to this answer as well. If I remember correctly, I delivered my first child at 37 weeks due to LOW platelets. I do not know much about HELLP, did not know they presented as high platelets.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Wed Oct 19, 638292 3:00 pm

Welcome back Jennifer and congratulations.

I am sorry that I don't have an answer to your question - hopefully someone will jump on here soon that does. I know that in my case it always helped me to have my OB explain why she wasn't concerned about something. A lot of times they can pass things off as no big deal, that to me would be a big deal, but when she explained it I felt a lot better.

Take care.

jenseib

platlet count

Postby jenseib » Wed Oct 19, 638292 9:48 am

Hi Everyone,

It's been a very long time since I last posted. Here is my situation. I'm 14 weeks pregnant. My first pregnancy ended in in HELLP syndrome at almost 37 weeks. My platlets were the major problem at 97,000.
I just had my monthly check up last night at my ob's where she went over my blood work. Everything came back fine, including my platlet count, but they were on the low side at 147. She said she is going to do repeat blood work in two weeks.
My question is should I be worried? Is it possible for them to go up?
Thanks in advance for listening

Return to “Pregnant Again?”