32 weeks-not good

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
deerhart

Re : 32 weeks-not good

Postby deerhart » Fri Dec 09, 637988 12:17 pm

Even though he's dropped, that doesn't always mean bad things. Alex dropped from 75% (22 weeks) to 40% (33/4 weeks) to between 5-10% at birth - 5lbs 10oz (37 weeks) and did fine.

The percentage drop is significant because it shows that even with good BP and urine, the condition IS effecting the baby. It also gives the doctor good grounds to determine just how much she's being effected and let them better decide what may need to be done.

Also remember that the weight estimates on the US are exactly that ESTIMATES!!!! They can be off by up to a pound. Alex was estimated at 4lbs 10oz at my last US and was born at 5lbs 10oz 3 weeks later (which under normal growth he should have been at least 7lbs).

alexp

Postby alexp » Fri Dec 09, 637988 9:15 am

I'm glad to hear you are feeling a little bit better :). As others have said, it sounds like you are being watched very closely, which is so good, and your little one is doing well on NST and kick counts!

I wanted to add that I had twins born at almost the same GA as your daughter is now - one had recently dropped down in the percentiles, one was where she should have been.

My daughters were born at 32 weeks exactly. Lily weighed 3 lbs 1 oz - Vivian was 3 lbs 11.5 oz. Vivian was staying in her percentiles, while Lily's growth had pretty much slowed to a crawl (Lily was also doing poorly on NSTs and a BPP the week before, while Viv was doing great).

However, their apgar scores were almost identical, and while Lily had a slightly harder time in NICU (breathing issues), and stayed about a week longer, overall things went about the same for them. Lily was about half a pound lighter than Viv for their first year. She had a slightly worse case of reflux - only slightly - other than that their health was remarkably similar. They were about 16 pounds at a year (its been so long I can't remember exactly).

After that, they reversed. and Lily is usually 1 or 2 pounds heavier than her sister. They are now 4 years old, weigh 34 pounds each. They've both been very healthy and are absolutely normal from a developmental perspective. There's no difference (health or development wise, of course - lots of other differences) between the two.

That's TOTALLY anecdotal and inscientific, of course...but I hoped it might give you some more comfort. Hang in there - you all will be in my thoughts!

josiah1112

Postby josiah1112 » Mon Nov 28, 637988 6:20 pm

I'm glad you are being watched so closely.3 pounds sounds good considering that gestational age is way more important than weight(except of course in extreme IUGR cases which is not your case at all!)Hang in there 25% percentile is no concern at all except for your history but that is why it is so great that your doctor is watching you like a hawk:)

cindync

Postby cindync » Mon Nov 28, 637988 11:54 am

My son was 32 weeks (31 w 6 days), he weighed 3 lbs even. That was considered IUGR--he did not register on the percentiles (still doesn't as a matter of fact). I was told he should have weighed around 4 pounds, which is a SIGNFICANT difference from 3 lbs. He spent almost 6 weeks in the NICU, one week on a vent, several days on CPAP, several on vaportherm, several on nasal canula.

He is currently almost 27 months and weighs barely 21 1/2 lbs. Perhaps him being 3 lbs at birth instead of a healthier 4 lbs has contributed to this???

So 3 lbs may sound good for a preemie, but not a 32 week preemie.

klynn

Postby klynn » Fri Nov 04, 637988 12:56 pm

Thanks everyone, I feel alot better now. I have been unable to go into the babies nursery since my appt. I stopped all planning and even thought about cancelling my chidbirth classes. This is of course how things started last time, but I have to remeber that we are at a much better point this time. I think the doc is worried that her dropping even more by the next US but I will keep positive. THanks again!

michellelhuston

Postby michellelhuston » Fri Nov 04, 637988 4:40 am

I know that was probably scary to hear, but I think she should still be ok. There is always room for error on the us. Tell her to grow, grow, grow!! Hang in there!

heather100

Postby heather100 » Thu Nov 03, 637988 11:50 pm

I'm sorry she dropped in percentiles but like everyone else said, 3 lbs sounds very good for 32 weeks.

According to the chart on the link below, at 32 weeks, the average weight is 3.75 lbs.

http://www.babycenter.com/general/pregn ... 90794.html

I'm glad she's doing so well on her kick counts!!

for faith

Postby for faith » Mon Oct 24, 637988 4:38 am

I hope everything is fine, that is great over 3lbs. Hope she continues to grow, grow! Great that the NSTs & kick counts are perfect. Take care.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Mon Oct 24, 637988 4:33 am

It's hard not to worry, but it sounds like your doctor is watching your little one (and you) very closely. If it's any consolation, Ella had a pretty big drop at about that time. She had been in the 70% for most of the pregnancy, and dropped to the 50%. My doctors weren't concerned; she ended up at 37 weeks weighing 6.2. I'm glad to hear she's already growing some hair in there! Ours came out like a little furball (our u/s also showed some hair)!

kris21225

Postby kris21225 » Sun Oct 23, 637988 11:07 pm

3 pounds at 32 wks doesn't sound too bad to me either. I had a 37 weeker who weighed 5 lbs 4oz, due to severe pre-e and a 35 weeker who was 5 lbs 6 oz. The important things is her BPP's are going well and she's got good kick counts, right? You're in the final stretch. Grow baby girl!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”