Elevated AFP

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
amyk

Re : Elevated AFP

Postby amyk » Tue Jun 19, 2007 04:06 pm

Thanks so much for the info - I had my u/s at about 10ish weeks. I don't know if that's early or not. My u/s today showed that the measurements put me 2-4 days further along than the last one. Anyway, I just wanted to jump back in here and say congratulations again - my due date is Nov 19 as well! Much to my daughter's heartbreak, it appears it's another boy..

jillrosen2

Postby jillrosen2 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 03:50 pm

Amy,
I had the test done on a Friday and my dr. called me back with the results on the following Tuesday. She referred me out to the perinatologist and I got in for the level 2 that Friday. So, pretty quick turn around. I was told the AFP can be elevated if you are further along than they think you are, but if you had an early ultrasound for dating it should be pretty close. Also, if you are having a Level 2 anyway, they should catch most abnormalities that way too, so I would't worry too much (although I know its easier said than done!) I have realized I just need to stay off the internet and stop researching potential fetal kidney disease- it's scaring the heck out of me!
I wish you the best of luck and congratulations on your pregnancy!
Jill

amyk

Postby amyk » Tue Jun 19, 2007 03:06 pm

Congratulations on a positive-sounding U/S! Hopefully she's just not done growing all her little organs!
I have a question, I probably wouldn't ask except that I go for my quad-screen draw today. When did you find out about the elevated AFP levels? Did your doctor call you? I'm curious about when the results typically come in. (They forgot to do this test with my last pregnancy, but they did do the CF screen but waited over 4 weeks to tell me that I was a carrier.) Anyway, I'm slightly nervous about this because they don't have an LMP to know exactly how far along I am, only two ultrasound measurements. I hope I'm worrying for nothing. I do already have a level 2 u/s scheduled though since I'm practically elderly[:D]!

jillrosen2

Postby jillrosen2 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 05:13 pm

Hello:
Had the ultrasound today and the great news is: No spina bifidia, no nerual tube defects at all. They do have a concern about baby's kidneys, however. They were rounded and dialated, which can signal a potential problem, or they just could not be done forming and change to more normal shape by the next ultrasound. The baby was making and excreting urine, which was a good sign, but if the kidneys start to fail or have signs of polycystic kidney disease, the baby could die in utereo, but that is very rare. That is the only thing they could link to the elevated AFP, besides the mentioned link to PE, which I am being watched like a hawk for anyway. So now I go back in 3 weeks for another Level 2 to check the kidneys and meet with a pediatric nephrologist. There are so many possibilities as to what this could be at this point, that I am really trying not to worry, but I am not completely at peace yet.
The baby is a girl!! She was measuring ahead of due date, and otherwise looked fantastic. Thanks for all the words of encouragement.
Jill
Mom to Emma- 34 weeks PE
Baby Girl 11/19/07

hutced

Postby hutced » Fri Jun 15, 2007 03:05 pm

I hope you find out your little one is fine today.

I too had a positive AFP for downs with my 3rd and found out about the link between a positive test and PE on this site. I went ahead and had an amnio which was normal, I am a need to know kinda girl. I developed PE around 33 weeks with that pregnancy and had my little guy at 35 weeks, he is now 5weeks old and healthy and happpy.

jillrosen2

Postby jillrosen2 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 08:15 pm

Thank you so much for your information and reassurance. They had a cancelation and I go for the Level 2 tomorrow, so I will be sure to update you and let you know. Last night was a sleepless one and I am sure tonight will be too....I am just hoping for some peace of mind tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 06:30 pm

Here's links to our Experts discussing some of this:

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22746
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22733

Those are for elevated hCG and inhibin A, rather than AFP -- but still quad screen markers that can also show something's off with the placenta or the baby...

Good luck with this; we seem to see an awful lot of posters lately with this red flag whose amnios turn out fine, so we may have a crop of subsequent PE babies coming soon. As everyone says, the trick there is that you know ahead of time that you're at elevated risk, and can be monitored really closely.

mama2twins

Postby mama2twins » Thu Jun 14, 2007 06:13 pm

Jill,
I hope you get some answers soon to ease your mind. I will tell you that I know several people who have gotten false positives with this test. I also had an elevated AFP last pregnancy, but that was because I had twins that my OB had missed by u/s. I did not have an elevated AFP and still got PE. I had not heard of teh possible link between the two until reading this post. Definitely something to mention to the OB.

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Thu Jun 14, 2007 07:37 am

I don't think that I would survive four kids without being a planner! Between getting ready for graduation parties-this weekend, getting college entrance stuff done, and making sure we don't run out of food or forumla for the little guys, I live with a packet of sticky notes and a pen at all times. And, yes, the advanced maternal age term. I believe that 35 years old is where that label begins. I was 37 with AJ and 39 with Jaden, so I got to see that label on my charts twice! Oh, well. It's just a number, right?

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Thu Jun 14, 2007 00:20 am

Lori - how can you be a planner with 4 kids? I have a hard time with just 1!!!

What is considered advanced maternal age?

Return to “Pregnant Again?”