Moms of 2 or more, how did you prepare big sibling

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
missgamecock

Re : Moms of 2 or more, how did you prepare big sibling

Postby missgamecock » Sat Feb 10, 2007 08:32 pm

Sara is 19 months old now and LOVES babies, so maybe yours will too. As far as my oldest, she likes Sara when it suits her. Meaning, when she has all of her only child friends over and they coo over Sara saying they wish they had a baby sister, then she wants her around. If she is by herself and Sara is into her things, she wants to send her back to the hospital. However, my girls are over 6 years apart. That is a longgggg time for the oldest child to be an only child. It was a really really hard adjustment for her. As Laura put it, she wasn't too happy to be dethroned. We talked with Kirsten about Sara a lot. She went to a lot of my prenatal appts. She heard the heartbeat and my ob would talk to her when he did it. We read books about babies. We had a gift from Sara to Kirsten when she was born. I wanted time with Sara and Kirsten alone and the last moments with Kirsten alone as an only child. However my induction went very fast and there was no time as it was an emergency. The whole family showed up at 8am the next morning.

caitlynsmama

Postby caitlynsmama » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:35 am

I just continued to talk about the baby when the time came up. Caitlyn was not yet two when Genna was here but I can remember the day that Genna was born and she came bursting into the hospital room saying "wheres my baby?". We still have issues to this day with Caitlyn becoming jealous but if you make time for the oldest, it helps. Good luck. Think up some special activities with you and the oldest for some one on one time.

mommajo

Postby mommajo » Fri Feb 09, 2007 07:19 pm

Libby is fairly young so she may not fully grasp whats coming. I would just keep talking to her about the baby and showing her babies on TV and in public places, etc. My son is 4 years old and I am taking him to a big brother class tomorrow that is offered at a place called Pampered Pregnancy. Hopefully that will teach him how to be gentle, and what to expect with a little baby in the house.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Fri Feb 09, 2007 03:40 pm

Nicolas didn't really engage in discussion about the new baby until we found out the gender and told him he was having a baby sister named Ella. Now it's all about baby Ella with him. When we're in stores, he grabs little girl things and says, "like these shoes for baby Ella? Like these shirts for baby Ella?" How he clearly knows the difference between boy and girl clothing is beyond me! He likes to sit in her room and talk about her things. He'll come get my hand and say, "Let's go look at baby Ella's hats" or something like that. We also keep one of her u/s pics on the fridge for him to see. He acts like he knows what's happening, so we'll see. I have my doubts that he truly "gets" it, though. And Laura, that is TOO funny!!! Nicolas' baby has had all kinds of food dropped on her head since that nasty morning sickness passed!

halo79rn

Postby halo79rn » Fri Feb 09, 2007 03:11 pm

OH and I forgot... Libby is currently 12 1/2 months old. The baby is due in Sept, so she'll be 19 or 20 months.

Laura, that's cute... don't want to drop food on the baby's head! lol.

laura

Postby laura » Fri Feb 09, 2007 03:08 pm

My oldest had a hard time with dethronement, and really never caught on to the whole baby idea. We talked about the baby, she sang to the baby A LOT and we kept an eye out for newborns at stores and among family and friends to make a deal over "Oh, look, that baby LIKES you, she can tell what a WONDERFUL Big sister you're going to be!"

My oldest didn't buy it-- but with two working on three, middle child is already used to sharing mom, so it isn't as big a deal, and the baby is hers, and she might share it with us. (she told me a couple of days ago that she didn't want me to eat anymore; "I don't want all the food dropping on my baby's head!"

GL!

halo79rn

Moms of 2 or more, how did you prepare big sibling

Postby halo79rn » Fri Feb 09, 2007 03:02 pm

My mom says to talk about the baby , "her baby" like saying my daughter's baby is coming.... we talk about the baby (we're really early along) and (mainly) talk about being gentle with babies (her babydolls b/c we're not around little babies right now). But really at this age, if you tell her something, she'll forget it in an hour.
So how did you prepare your little one?

Return to “Pregnant Again?”