1st appointment

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
kris21225

Re : 1st appointment

Postby kris21225 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:43 pm

I'm almost 4 wks, so I know it's a little early. But they didn't draw blood or anything. I don't know. Once I was out of the waiting room, it literally took maybe fifteen minutes until I was on my way home. I go back in 4 wks. We'll see how that one goes. But thanks everybody for letting me know it's not me. I thought I was possibly over-reacting.

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:29 pm

It does seem weird, but I know the OB I am seeing this time around doesn't want anyone to even come in until 8-12 weeks gestation. Because of my history of miscarriage, they had me come in and see the OB nurse at 6 weeks and they did do the pee test, but that was it - I couldn't do my "official" first visit for 2 more weeks.

Maybe it was something like that? How soon is your next appointment? I would feel pretty "let down" with that appointment - at the very least they could have given you the due date without you having to figure it out yourself! Hopefully the next visit will be better and more informative.

And congrats on being "officially" pregnant! WOOHOO! [:)]

Kelly

darcynulph

Postby darcynulph » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:20 pm

It seems strange to me, but how many week along are you. Your ob may not believe in doing a lot of lab work up front. If you are uncomfortable I would suggest that you make an appointment with another Dr. and see if you are more comfortable with there approach. Do you have a peri that you are seeing?

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:20 pm

Yeah, that IS weird. I would feel exactly the same way. First off, in the very least you should have gotten a rx for prenatals (they have higher levels in rx form - so my doc says) and an EDD. Is this a new doctor? My first visit was at about 4 weeks, and they did a pelvic, urine sample, blood draws, blood pressures, an extensive review of my records (and this was after my preconcept consult), and then sent me on my way (I had an appointment to return in 2 weeks for an u/s - I've gone every two weeks since then). I was there for approx. an hour to an hour and a half. I would think, given your history, they would spend even more time with you than the average patient. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, I just know first-hand what it feels like when you think everything's not being covered. On a positive note - you ARE pregnant! You got the confirmation! That's great!

kris21225

Postby kris21225 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:06 pm

This appointment was not at all like I expected. I thought there would be the usual b/p, pee in a cup, edd thing. Then I thought we'd go into the "this is our plan for you." But that didn't happen. There was weight, b/p, urine sample, a two minute internal, then he said, "I'll see you in 4 wks. Congratulations." Now don't get me wrong, I'm glad it was a smooth visit. But the only person who asked when my last period was, was the nurse when I made the appointment. No one gave me a due date (which I figured out as 8/8/07) or anything. Not even a prescription for pre-natal vitamins. I can buy them over the counter anyway. This is not my first pregnancy, so I know the drill and this just seemed weird. Opinions anyone?

paige_va

Postby paige_va » Fri Dec 08, 2006 08:36 pm

Good luck! Wishing you a healthy and happy nine months!

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:42 pm

Good luck tomorrow!! I can relate to the dr.'s appointment making the pregnancy so real, that's how I felt. Let us know how it goes and wishing you a nice borning 9 months of pregnancy!!!

froggie89

Postby froggie89 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:39 pm

Good luck with your appt tomorrow. I hope all goes well. Update us when you can!

mom2tori

Postby mom2tori » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:17 pm

Good luck tomorrow and let us know how it goes. Praying that the entire pregnancy goes smoothly for you.

melissam

Postby melissam » Thu Dec 07, 2006 09:22 pm

Sending you tons and tons of good luck and lots of healthy sticky baby vibes!!!!

Return to “Pregnant Again?”