Spotting at 5 1/2 weeks & freaking out

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
khailibowen

Re : Spotting at 5 1/2 weeks & freaking out

Postby khailibowen » Mon Sep 25, 2006 08:57 am

With my first pregnancy they did a vaginal exam at my first appointment, for this one they went straight for the ultrasound. Different doctors and medical practices so I'm guessing different procedures. My guess would be if they are doing an U/S there is little reason to do a vaginal, because you will get the info plus more with the U/S.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Mon Sep 25, 2006 06:59 am

Oh good luck.

My first appt was at 5 weeks as a new patient. All they did at that appt (it was w/ the mw) was go over nutrition, do bloodwork, pee in a cup, and discuss my past history ( I had no records except a discharge sheet in french saying severe pe at 35 weeks).

Next appt was at 9 weeks, that is when they did a vaginal exam, talk more, and more bw.

I did not have another vaginal exam until the day I was admitted at 35 weeks 5 days to have Sara. I would have started weekly internal exams at 36 weeks but didn't make it that far.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:09 pm

Lynn, with my first pregnancy, I had a vaginal exam at my first visit (it was like a standard yearly exam plus a little more with checking the uterus, etc. I never had another one until I went to L&D at 36 weeks (even then it was only to see if I was dialated or bleeding). With this pregnancy, they did a vaginal at my first visit (4 weeks). Good luck telling the in-laws! Please update after Tuesday!

michelle_chandler

Postby michelle_chandler » Sun Sep 24, 2006 07:22 pm

Good luck Lynn! I will be praying for you all.

Take care!!

Michelle

Shane Ivan 31 weeks 9/8/06 3lbs 13oz

lmc2677

Postby lmc2677 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 05:23 pm

Well, there's been no more spotting since Friday. Phew! I am nervous every time I go to the bathroom. I have an appointment on Tuesday with my OB for an U/S, etc.... First appt. of this pregnancy. I have a list of everything I want to discuss with him. I am also wondering if he will do a vaginal exam, not just an U/S. My last pregnancy, he never did a vaginal exam. Is this normal? Do they only do one if there is reason for concern? Anyway, I am going to ask a lot of questions and probably bug the heck out of my OB, but I figure that's my job and they're used to it. Plus, he's a very wonderful doctor and I feel very comfortable with him. I'm just glad the spotting seems to have been a one time deal. (crossing fingers) I don't have cramps or anythiing either, so I think that's a good sign too.

On another note, we're telling my husband's parents tonight. He really wants to. So, wish us luck! I know they will be super excited. It's my parents that I'm nervous to tell.

Thanks everyone!

khailibowen

Postby khailibowen » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:48 am

I would be very worried too. I had spotting with my first pregnancy and was told it was "probably normal" but since I am Rh neg they had to see me, it turns out that I had placenta previa and was on bedrest until it moved. My second pregnancy I spotted at 5.5weeks and called my ob, again since I'm O- I was sent to the ER (late at night on weekend) and I was miscarrying (not to freak you out sorry), each time I only spotted a little bit before I called and am so glad that I did. Even with the previa, I only spotted 1 day, just a little bit and it was mostly brown, if I had not gone in they would not have known there was something wrong.

Keep us posted, I'll be thinking about you.

heatedheart

Postby heatedheart » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:22 am

I'm with D'Arcy...be insistent if you think something is not right. Always trust your gutt instincts. That's where I went wrong with my first pregnancy and I thought that by going to the hospital that they would laugh at me because of my symptoms (which were all related to PE which I was unaware of). It is a good thing I went. Now this time around, I have been to the hospital a few times (for diff. reasons, and everything has turned out ok). The docs have told me that they'd rather see a pregnant woman there than not...so I'm passing that advice onto you. I've promised myself that I am not going to let anything slide and if in doubt that I would seek immediate medical attention. If you feel something is amiss, call your OB/DOC right away. I wouldn't second guess that decision. Hoping that this pregnancy proves to be a long and boring one for you. Sending a <<HUG>> your way. [;)]

darcynulph

Postby darcynulph » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:33 pm

Are you going to have a u/s soon? That is the best way to ease your mind. If the heart beat is strong at 7 weeks then that is a good sign. My recommendation is to be insistant, if you think that someting is not right insist on an u/s. Good luck! Wishing you the best!

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Fri Sep 22, 2006 09:28 pm

i had spotting enough to think i was having a light period about 4-5 weeks after conception, so I was very surprised to be confirmed pregnant 3 weeks later in the doctors office....the spotting i had was on vacation and by the time i could get an appt i figured i was a week away from another period.....you could have knocked me over when the nurse said i was pregnant after 2 negative home tests....i was really only seeing the dr cause i had a suspected yeast infection....here is hoping yours was what my friend called implantation bleeding or as your nurse described non-pregnancy related!

paige_va

Postby paige_va » Fri Sep 22, 2006 08:41 pm

Lynn,
Thinking about you. Just wanted to let you know that I had some spotting around the same time with this pregnancy, and I'm now 14.5 weeks, and everything's ok. I hope your experience is similar. Hang in there.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”