Best bottles for preemies?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
ekc

Re : Best bottles for preemies?

Postby ekc » Tue May 02, 2006 08:00 pm

My nicu gave me a whole bag of preemie bottles and nipples when I left. So I would definitely ask about that. I didn't use many since I nursed, so I still have some for this time. I used Medela bottles with a reg. nipple. That was what he preferred. He didn't like the orthodontic nipples that normally come w/the medela. I chose medela because the NICU had a medela pump and I had one at home also. It just worked out well. I also used Evenflo. My son was never very picky about the bottle itself, just the nipple.

HTH

hoya

Postby hoya » Tue May 02, 2006 04:17 pm

We also used the Medela little bottles (our NICU used them, and you can buy them in the store) -- held about 50 or 60ccs (60cc's = 2 ounces)... they are really thin and can be matched with any standard bottle nipple/ring. Eventually we moved to the Gerber 4 oz bottles and then, when we switched to formula, we switched bottles to the Dr. Browns.

darcynulph

Postby darcynulph » Tue May 02, 2006 03:50 pm

My DD would only take Gerber preemie bottles, they are sold at Target.

orrobbins

Postby orrobbins » Tue May 02, 2006 10:17 am

I read a couple of reviews online about the Soothie bottles, and that they were great for preemies. I picked up a pack of them the other day too (and a microwave sterilizer that comes with 2 or 3 soothie bottles.) We'll see! Since I know I'm having another C-section, I want to do as much of this now myself, and not try and explain to DH what I'm looking for later on!

spoonzoo

Postby spoonzoo » Tue May 02, 2006 09:32 am

With both of mine, I pretty much had to wing it - and see what the NICU was using. They were fed with Volu-feeders in the NICU, and one of them used the red preemie nipples, but the other one wouldn't have anything to do with it - he used the orthodontic disposable similac nipples.

When they both came home, I ended up ordering more of the Volu-feeders and nipples to use for the first weeks at home, and then tried different bottles from the store. With #1, it was a completely different transition that with #2.

I'm wondering now that if they'd had the Soothie bottle nipples when those two were little, they would have liked those better - because they both used the Soothie pacifiers from the NICU. This time I've picked up several of those bottles to try - since I thought it would be good to use the same as the binky. We'll see - it's all trial and error with newborns!!! Each and every one is different!

orrobbins

Postby orrobbins » Mon May 01, 2006 03:53 pm

You know, now that you mention it, I think I remember that we used Gerber too. And I definitely remember using the MAM pacis - those were the best! They were hard to find at the time, but I think that they're pretty available now.

Thank you all for the great advice! I'll definitely stock up with whatever they'll let me have from the hospital.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Mon May 01, 2006 11:35 am

GERBER! They were the best both times. Well the nipples were at least. They tried using regular nipples with both girls but they were too big. The belgian hospital immediately switched to a preemie nipple. Kirsten didn't do well with it, but did great using the Gerber preemie nipple. With Sara, the nipple was for Similac. Similac preemie nipple. It was red. Those were way too big for her. So I had bought Gerber preemie bottles and nipples from Babies r Us. We used the preemie nipple on the regular similac advance 2 oz bottle. Even when she was readmitted we brought in our own nipples because they were too big for her. The nurse simply washed it out at each feeding. When it was time for a bottle the ring and Gerber preemie nipple fit the similac 2 oz bottle. The hospital gave us a ton of formula bottles and preemie nipples when we left. As far as ccs. Sara was taking 5 cc's and then had to work her way up to an ounce for each feeding before we left the hospital the second time. We also got preemie binky's too from the hospital because they don't have a lot of early babies. We ended up going with the MAM newborn, but it covered her whole face, lol. We also used the gerber preemie nipples for both girls as well. Kirsten liked and did really well on that kind. Sara started off on that one and moved to the Newborn MAM.

cara

Postby cara » Mon May 01, 2006 11:34 am

The hospital loaded us up with bottles and nipples. Each day they gave us a bunch of stuff to take home, pacifiers, bottles, nipples, diapers, etc... It was nice to have that stuff on hand once we got home.

miracle3

Postby miracle3 » Mon May 01, 2006 11:21 am

I am glad you are asking this question. When I left the hospital I had no idea about the nipple problem. I actually ended up having to go back to the hospital and get lindsey the nipples from the hospital. I'm with everyone else ask the hospital for some extras they will certainly give them to you.

onfaith

Postby onfaith » Mon May 01, 2006 09:21 am

I too used the medela bottles and nipples, plus the small bottles from our first NICU, they saved them for us too. And it was great because they attached to the Medela pump...so I could use them for storage too!!! Then after a couple of months we moved to the Avent bottles.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”