question for current or former working moms w/PE

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
ekc

Re : question for current or former working moms w/PE

Postby ekc » Wed Apr 26, 2006 09:51 pm

Your doctor probably would never let you return to work at 5 weeks and not likely until 8 weeks if you are having a c-section. So in any event if you go off early you may not get paid the entire time if you don't have enough sick days. Though, if you have STD you will get paid for a longer amount of time. My previous employer's STD policy covered the first 6 mos.

The big issue is that your 12 weeks would be up so your job would not be protected. IF you have a good employer they aren't going to get rid of you for going 3 weeks over your FMLA leave especially if you are still on STD. We would have never done that even if they were a bad employee. I would talk w/your HR dept. about it. You can research FMLA rights on the internet also. My dh's employer (the state of pa none the less) tried to tell him at first that his FMLA leave for the birth of our child may not be approved. I laughed because there is NO way they could deny it. His HR dept. also told another employee that he could only take FMLA for the birth of a child if he had to care for his sick wife. Where do they come up w/this stuff?!!

ekc

Postby ekc » Wed Apr 26, 2006 09:42 pm

I was previously in HR (now a teacher). Though companies that fall under FMLA start counting it from the start unless they have some other policy. If you go off on bedrest 4 weeks before baby arrives, then you only have 8 weeks remaining. Of course in PA, if you work for the state it can differ. My husband who is a corrections officer can take up to 6 mos. off, but that does not fall under FMLA. It is a protected leave though within his union contract. As a teacher in PA I can take up to one year off. Again, it is a protected leave under our union contract, but it isn't FMLA. Sometimes people confuse the two. Also, FMLA doesn't guarantee any type of pay during your leave. Either you may have a short-term disability policy or sick days. At my previous employ short-term disability ran conconcurrent with FMLA (which is allowed by law) so you got paid during FMLA leave. Though, you only get paid for the weeks the doctor writes you off for. The remainder is unpaid. OR if you don't have STD then you may have sick days, which is what I have as a teacher. Once they are used, then the remaining leave is unpaid.

Hope this helps and you are not confused!

floridasue72

Postby floridasue72 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 09:42 pm

this is extremly helpful, now the question is.... do I inquire now or closer to the order, I'd like to plan a bit in advance if it doesn't cause a down right alarm to my management, my field is sales... I'll sit on this, if you are reading this post for the first time and you've been through this, please keep responding it's very helpful to me and I am sure others. My biggest fear is that I get put on bed rest week 30 and then burn 7 weeks of FMLA on bed rest, to look at going back to work after the baby is only 5 weeks old , ah.. to mention recovering from a C Section. Can't see how one could possibly pull that off. I only get 2 weeks vacation a year and have about 3 days in my "bank" so that's not going to help me much.

augmaybabies

Postby augmaybabies » Mon Apr 24, 2006 02:40 pm

I was finally taken off work at 35 weeks from work. I had to take FMLA for the weeks before the birth (I had a c-section at 37 weeks). My 8 week recovery time after the birth was not counted as FMLA. I was living in California at the time and was also able to take advantage of 6 weeks of Paid Family Leave after the birth. Hope this helps.

meg hanrahan

Postby meg hanrahan » Mon Apr 24, 2006 01:27 pm

I work for the federal government and in our case using our sick leave and annual leave works to our advantage rather than invoking FMLA. I used sick leave for my first 9 weeks (normally we can only use 6 weeks but my doctor said that I couldn't go back to work for 9 weeks) and then annual leave for three weeks. In my case, I had Friday off (supposed to go to Tahoe with friends) but got diagnosed with PE, admitted to the hospital and delivered on Monday. (We can't use disability.)

hoya

Postby hoya » Mon Apr 24, 2006 09:14 am

I went on STD when I ended up being hospitalized ~7 weeks before DD was born. Unfortunately, my company's policy is that FMLA runs concurrent with STD, so my 12 weeks of FMLA ended less than 6 weeks after DD was born. BUT, my company also has a "Caregiver Leave" policy, that I could use after FMLA ended. It was a little more of a hassle, it was unpaid leave, and I had to pay for my own health insurance during that time, but it was well worth it. Definitely ask around in your company's HR group.

One caveat is that I was first put on bed rest 6 weeks BEFORE I had to go to the hospital, and my boss and department were super understanding and helpful... they let me work from home for that entire 6 weeks, so no STD, no FMLA, etc. - full pay regular status. The IT guy set up a laptop with all of my files from my office computer, brought it out to my house, set up a wireless LAN so that I could access our high speed Internet connection on the laptop from bed, and I was able to set up my office phone to automatically transfer calls to my home phone during business hours.

spoonzoo

Postby spoonzoo » Mon Apr 24, 2006 09:00 am

quote:Originally posted by floridasue72

If you worked during your 1st or second pregnancy and came down w/PE, does normal long term care policies jump in or did you have to start your FMLA at the initial order of bed rest? Pregnant with my 2nd and my BP is rising and I'm not sure if I end up going on bed rest really early if I'll even have a way to pull off my career. If you've gone through this in the past let me know how your employer handled it.

It honestly depends 1st on your employers contract for LTD or STD... because you might use that first before going to FLMA.

Our contract provides 8 weeks STD, then 12 weeks LTD at 60% pay before I would have to use FLMA. This would kick in from the time I'm taken off work or am admited to the hospital.

I'd schedule a meeting with your HR dept, and ask for copies of everything. If you happen to have a nurse at your office - ask them... they probably know it better than the HR people!

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Sun Apr 23, 2006 05:20 pm

My FMLA started the first day I missed worked (it was the day I was diagnosed with pe - I delivered 3 days later). My short-term disability kicked in after the first seven days. My doctor ordered me out of work for 8 weeks, so they covered 7 weeks of my leave at 66%.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:29 am

I started my FMLA after the Sara was born. I got to choose when but I work for the Govt and that's our choice.

timelessbeauty

Postby timelessbeauty » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:13 am

Plus you have to be sure you ask about temporary disability or short term versus long term. There is a difference when talking about disability insurance, as well.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”