Anyone else already preparing for bedrest?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
ophelia2002

Re : Anyone else already preparing for bedrest?

Postby ophelia2002 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 08:50 pm

Since I didn't have any symptoms until AFTER birth last time, I didn't have to deal with bedrest.

Frankly, I think I'm ignoring the issue- like if I don't think about it it won't happen, right? Very healthy I know.

I have a 2 year old too so I can definitely relate to whoever mentioned control issues with their other child. I know I will be a wreck!

My OB and I have talked about it- I just keep hoping it won't happen. Besides, what can one *really* do to prepare, KWIM?

hoya

Postby hoya » Thu Feb 23, 2006 02:29 pm

I guess I have to admit I've got my head in the sand on the bed rest issue this time... hoping it doesn't happen (I really can't afford to take the time off work, this time -- it was much easier in my last job). It could, of course, happen, and I'll find a way to deal with it if I must, but I'm ignoring the possibility at this point.

dorio22

Postby dorio22 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:53 am

I can't believe this! I go away for a few months and I come back and Cassie, Melissa and Lucy are pregnant! That is amazing. I am so excited for all of you. I wish you all the best long and healthy pregnancies. I am so happy for you.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Mon Feb 20, 2006 09:20 pm

Even though I am not pregnant right now, I am preparing for bedrest. Two pregnancies where I needed to be on t, well doesn't make me optimistic for a third. We are buying a chest freezer and I will make meals ahead that dh can heat and serve. We are going to be starting a bedrest savings account. This will be used for meals out, hiring a maid, and hiring a landscaping company. The girls will be in school, camp, or daycare so the day is taken care of. Kirsten will be 8 when we try again so she will be old enough to help out. I am buying a short term diability policy that will cover complicated pregnancies. If I need to go on bedrest, then I'll activate the policy and go out. I'll use two days of leave per payperiod to pay for insurance and such. Then after the baby is born, I'll use 6 weeks of sick leave and all of the annual leave that I have left so that I can spend as much time with baby as possible. We are not expecting any help from family or friends as they did not help whatsoever the last time. I was really disappointed with that. I thought our families would help us and they didn't. So I'm not expecting it. I have at least another year and half to plan.....

hayesmama

Postby hayesmama » Mon Feb 20, 2006 08:13 pm

I'm preparing for bedrest myself. I have a plan worked out where my mil will help for one week and my mom the other, that way they rotate. My neighbor has a nanny who is willing to help me out too. I have also investigated the possibility of a temporary nanny for my home (the cost is tremendous, but if I don't ahve a choice...) I'm freezing some meals, I have told the kids' teachers what may lie ahead, and I'm already packed for an emergency hospital stay. I have also made up a Costco/grocery store list that dh can just grab and go with that will keep the kids happy. This Sat is my hosp tour. I am trying to think positive, that I won't be on bedrest, but I'd rather be prepared ahead of time rather than have total chaos. My bp is like a roller coaster these days, one day 65, the next 86 (bottom).

hannahsmommy

Postby hannahsmommy » Sun Feb 19, 2006 05:33 pm

Bedrest is one of the main reasons i'm personally struggling with getting pregnant again. I would simply have no help. All of my in-laws live out of state, my siblings are so busy, my mom has health problems herself and could be of no help. My DH workes 2nd shift plus overtime and we have a 3 year old DD to run after. With me being off work money would be to tight to for me to hire someone to keep up with my house and daughter. I am a absolute clean freak and laying down with a messy house would send my blood pressure through the roof!! I was up cleaning and running the vacumme days after my c-section with my DD. So, until I have a mighty good plan in place for bedrest and excellent care for my daughter I'm not going to try to pregnant again.

lyndsey

Postby lyndsey » Sun Feb 19, 2006 02:23 pm

I'm definitely thinking about the bedrest ordeal. I'm trying not to assume I'll get PE again, but you can't pretend like it might not happen, either. Last time, I went on bedrest a week before my BP was too high and was admitted to the hospital for a week before DD was born, so only a total of two weeks, but I probably should have been on bedrest a week or two before my doctor told me to, looking back on it. I'm worried about it because last time I didn't work and was living with my in-laws so I had a lot of help and didn't have to worry about anything. This time I have my little girl to look after, plus my DH works the night shift with a lot of overtime so if he isn't at work he's sleeping and my mom lives 2 hrs away and works a full time job at her local tech college. I don't know. Worst case scenario I'll have to suck it up and ask my MIL to take my DD for several hours every day or come over and help with everything, including household stuff. I don't wanna! (I'm whining horribly at the thought) I'm sure DH would do as much as he could, but he's hardly ever home long enough to spend QT with Clara, let alone get stuff done around the house. *SIGH*

anissa

Postby anissa » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:24 pm

I've thought about planning bedrest myself. Last time my bedrest at home lasted all of one day before I was admitted to the hospital. So I've never experienced it before. I'm worried about taking care of my 2 yo. I'm a control freak, I'll admit it, so I'm worried about leaving my tasks at work to my sister (we're in a partnership) Also worried about family getting healthy meals. We don't watch much tv around my house but I've been considering getting cable or the dish. I'm afraid of being frightfully bored. Just a bunch of thinking and worrying but no actual planning yet.

thw75

Postby thw75 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:34 am

Hey Lucy, If the hospital has a wireless network (which they most likely do) you just need an ethernet card in the laptop to hook into the network.

mom2tori

Postby mom2tori » Sat Feb 18, 2006 09:53 am

I am doing my best to mentally prepare myself for bedrest...I don't want it but the chance that I will be on it is pretty good. I am trying to figure out who will watch Tori, when she will visit me, who will feed the dogs ect. Very stressful to think about so I try to think about it a little at a time.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”