The Duggars

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support
l412angel

Re : The Duggars

Postby l412angel » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:21 am

I did watch it...should I have...probably not...I had major anxiety after watching it because it brings back memories...I took my bp (Im not pregnant and no cronic hypertension but I stil take it once a day...I shouldnt have because I knew I was anxious) Mine normally is 110/70's and it was 122/89 heart rate was 125...blahhhh....

so I should not have watched it I guess...I do wish they would have talked about preeclampsia a bit more...or said symptoms to watch for? My DVR cut off earlier does anyone know if they had this website at the end?

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Mon Feb 01, 2010 07:15 am

It was very emotional to watch, especially the footage of teeny baby Josie, but I am glad I watched it. Hopefully it will raise some awareness about pe.

ruby608

Postby ruby608 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 01:06 am

Thanks guys. I'll keep it saved and watch it maybe sometime when I have one of my stronger days. I am so happy that they talked out pre-e and hopefully it stirs up some news and talk. Anything to being more awareness to this awful disease.

jayme

Postby jayme » Mon Feb 01, 2010 01:00 am

I wanted to but I didn't. I know I've had babies since my 25 weeker, but I just didn't want to relive it.

rosemary
Forum Moderator

Postby rosemary » Mon Feb 01, 2010 00:12 am

It's tough to watch anything that reminds me of my ordeal with PE, but I am glad that the Duggars shared their story. Millions of people watched the show...and while it brings up some painful memories...tonight...there are so many more people armed with information about PE...and that is a good thing. Hugs to you gals...

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:07 pm

Yeah, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - but they do show baby Josie being pulled out during the C-section and in her incubator for a few minutes and that might really stir up some emotions. Otherwise, I agree it was done very tastefully and honestly I felt her story was only 10-15 minutes of the show ( that is just a guess though).

Jim Bob's emotion is there- you can certainly feel it - but they kinda played it down in a very respectful way ( unlike the hype up I was expecting).

theartsymom

Postby theartsymom » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:52 pm

I watched and a good % of the show was about the little kids at home (with josh and anna) and the bigger kids went to El Salvador for a trip. The portion of the show about Michelle and the baby was tasteful. I was surprised that the camera crew was allowed the level of access it was, esp in the OR and the NICU. I am interested to see how that plays out in the next episodes.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:47 pm

I did watch it, but I have a surviving child. It was still pretty emotional and hit home. They did quote some good stats about PE...including that it affects 6-10% of all pregnancies (I think the PF quotes 5-8%). And they did say that both mother and child are at risk of death. I think the last stat at the end of the show would be painful for many of our moms who lost children at 25+ weeks. They used a liberal survival rate of 80%. My sources-a level 3 nicu- indicate 40-80% survival rate....which alternately means 20-60% of those babies don't survive. And they didn't mention anything about disability rates. Nor did they source their information. I was hoping the Preeclampsia Foundation would be sourced for more information on preeclampsia. Hopefully it will stir discussion and google searches which will likely lead people here. Hugs to you ladies.

angieb

Postby angieb » Sun Jan 31, 2010 09:44 pm

I thought about it. And I *wanted* to. But I didn't. I'm curious about what they said about pre-eclampsia and stuff, but just not up for it emotionally. I don't think I could help myself from resenting them, not through any fault of theirs.

ruby608

The Duggars

Postby ruby608 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 09:35 pm

Was any of you brave enough to watch it? I want to watch it so bad but I am so terrified of feeling all the emotions I felt when I went through it.
Just seeing the previews, the last min ultrasounds, the fear in Jim Bobs voice while he was calling family... everything brings back so many emotions and I would tear up. Am I the only one?

Just wondering if any of you watched it and what you thought, how you felt afterwards. I have it DVR'd at home and might watch it when I get home from work in the AM.

Return to “Grief and Loss”