Kelsi's 2nd birthday - can you help?

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support
rosemary
Forum Moderator

Re : Kelsi's 2nd birthday - can you help?

Postby rosemary » Thu Dec 28, 2006 09:40 pm

Melissa...I am sending off a bunch of preemie blankets to a NICU tomorrow, and they will arrive at the hospital on Kelsi's birthday. They have been donated in her honor for her special day.

Bless You!

robertmyangel

Postby robertmyangel » Thu Dec 28, 2006 06:20 pm

Mellissa,

I will be so happy to do something special on Kelsi's Birthday, I will light an Angel candle especially for her, thank you for sharing her Birthday with us.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Wed Dec 27, 2006 07:37 pm

What a beautiful story Sue!

timelessbeauty

Postby timelessbeauty » Tue Dec 26, 2006 09:34 am

OK, post script. What did I do to honor Kelsi? I took in a "stray shopper" at Christmas. Upon the close of business Christmas Eve, I was sent to the front doors to help lock up for the retail establishment for which I work. At the doors were a couple of customers looking to find the owner of a beagle mix puppy approx 10 months in age (my guess) who was without a collar or leash but was wearing a harness.

Someone went to go get a leash off the racks and I held and talked to the pup, calming the poor little guy down that was looking apparently for mom in the store. A page went out for any remaining customers checking out if this was their pup to claim him, no response. I offered up to management that I lived nearby and have a dog myself so I would take the poor little guy in for Christmas.

His coat was clean, he was warm as if he hadn't been outside for very long. Some suspected that he had escaped from a car and then there was the thought, because beagles like to "howl", what if this little one was dropped off for Christmas because of too much noise? And then the thoughts also hit me, what if the kids think I brought them a puppy for Christmas? Oh well, already in process to see what happens when we get home.

Did I mention I have an Alaskan Malamute?? Well, I do and he's approximately 10+ yrs old and king of the house if you know what I mean. He's a gentle giant with an attitude somedays to be "grumpy" as I term it. He can growl and bark but that's about it as far as action. So he was a little put out by having to share his family with a 'stranger' but he did very well, I was impressed with his hospitality.

I get home to put the new pup in the garage for safe keeping while I accessed if my animal kingdom could handle his 'addition' for however long. Oh how he HOWLED and barked and yipped. He was lonely and I felt bad. We had plans to go to my parents for a couple hours and then returned to find it quiet. He had settled a bit but once he knew we were home, Boy oh Boy!

Ok, so I am a softy for kids and pets and the poor little dear who looked to be well taken care of came inside to sleep on a corner of my bed Christmas Eve while everyone in the house was anxiously awaiting "Santa"! Morning came and boy was that dog excited to see all those presents but nothing for him, sorry. I wasn't truly expecting company unless you figure I have a leash to pay for now due to the whole event and that went home with him as his Gift for Christmas.

Christmas night I called the emergency vet's office to find out if they were 'home' so I could come by after another family gathering and have the poor pup scanned. He was chipped! yeah! Well, sort of .. at first it was looking like he had the chip but it wasn't registered because it came up with no information from the first 800# and it's a unique chip. Second phone call directed to make from first 800# gave us details. His name was "Rover" and he was registered to a lady living one town north of me. Vet's office called her number that was given and left a message on how to contact me. My family and the dog went home after he sniffed everyone in the waiting room while we checked up on his history. lol ...

At exactly 10:04pm I get a call from the owner, she is excited beyond belief because she had been out of town and using a pet sitter to care for her pup until she got back. Pup had escaped the petsitter's domain to go seek out the store and possible smell of food. The petsitter?? ... a neighbor a few doors down from where I life. HA! So .. the story started a couple doors down from me, and ended in the parking lot of the store at which the pup was found. She came within minutes to collect the pup and thank me profusely for rescuing him from the cold of Christmas Eve night. And the pup was whining for Mom as soon as he saw her in the car next to us.

All are happy now, my malamute, the puppy and the owner. Well, ok not all, my kids were already in bed and my oldest cried because she didn't get to say goodbye but I let her know he was happy to see his mom and not be harassed by a huge furball for another night. LOL

Hoping everyone had a lovely holiday! We asked Kelsi and Ben(my son) to come and join us to help keep the puppy company and calm. I believe more than the spirit of Christmas was with us this weekend! I was the right person to find the dog at the store door, the right neighbor to take the dog in and the right vet's office to seek when calling about the chip. Too much for irony, if you believe in fate. ... Hmmmmm.... Divine intervention?

mrsike

Postby mrsike » Mon Dec 11, 2006 05:54 pm

What a wonderful idea, Melissa! I will pull another angel off the Angel Tree and one child's Christmas will be in honor of Kelsi. And, to do something on her actual birthday, I'll bake some cookies and take them to the gate guards both the Americans and the Italians on base.

mrs.magdaleno

Postby mrs.magdaleno » Mon Dec 11, 2006 04:54 pm

Melissa,
I love this idea. I will definitely honor her life by paying it forward.

raspbeari

Postby raspbeari » Mon Dec 11, 2006 03:13 pm

melissa,
I would love to do something for Kelsi's 2nd birthday. I will think of you as well on this day.

jodlb

Postby jodlb » Tue Dec 05, 2006 01:29 pm

I would be honored to do something in her name.

Thanks for the oppertunity! I'll let you know what I come up with!

angelkat

Postby angelkat » Mon Dec 04, 2006 07:09 pm

I've got Kelsi birthday on the calender. For our act of kindness we will be planting a new tree by the pond (in the spring of course)

Thinking of you!

gilma

Postby gilma » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:35 am

Count me in!! I've put your angel in my calendar. We will do something extra-special to honor her. Thinking of you as this day draws near.

Return to “Grief and Loss”