missgamecock

Re : Q's for those who've m/c'd

Postby missgamecock » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:18 am

Catherine how are you doing today????

rosemary
Forum Moderator

Postby rosemary » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:22 pm

Catherine - I am really sorry for what you are going through. As far as your questions and my personal experiences with m/c - I had two m/c - both at about 12 weeks. My first, I woke up bleeding - went to the ER and had a D&E that very day. My second m/c, I requested a sonogram at 10 weeks because I needed to know that everything was okay - up to that point, all seemed normal - well it was not. I had a fetal sac, but no presence of a fetus. My HCG levels were done and were very low and because I was not bleeding, my doctor made me wait - doing HCG testing every few days. Two agonizing weeks later I still was not bleeding and the nurse called me at work and told me to report to the hospital the following day for a D&E. Truly the worst part was the waiting - and I knew in my head that I was having a miscarriage, but because I was not bleeding, for some reason I wouldn't give up hope that 'maybe' it would all be okay. Those two weeks were emotionally brutal.

As far as how long it can take to go natural - I think that relates to the individual.

As far as bleeding after the procedure - I only remember bleeding - and very lightly for a few days.

I am not sure if your doctor will offer you a procedure or wants to wait to see if you start bleeding on your own. My personal experience with myself and my sisters is that doctors vary on opinion. My sister had 4 miscarriages - and only two procedures. Many doctors just schedule a procedure to avoid any risk of infection and because of the emotional trauma that can come with going the natural route.

Talk with your doctor about all of your concerns and I think that you should have some say in how your situation is medically handled.

Catherine...again, I am so sorry and you will remain in my thougths and prayers.

kathyc

Postby kathyc » Fri Oct 13, 2006 06:02 pm

Catherine:

You've been in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry.

froggie89

Postby froggie89 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 08:45 pm

Catherine,

I'm sorry that I don't have any answers to your questions. Just wanted to say that I am thinking about you. I'm sorry that you're going through this. Sending many hugs to you.

lisainnj

Postby lisainnj » Thu Oct 12, 2006 05:51 pm

Catherine, I'm sorry.

The main reasons to have a D&C are to get it over with quickly (which might be important emotionally) and for testing, if you want that. I had a D&C when I had my second loss - she died at ten weeks - and had almost no bleeding for a couple days, and then it was like a light period but a longer - a week, ten days, maybe.

It is very hard to predict how long a natural miscarriage will take. A placenta does develop in a blighted ovum, and a placenta can hang on for a while. You should ask your doctor for an upper limit on how long you go natural. My first loss was unlike yours in that the baby died at 13 1/2 weeks - so what happens to you might not be what happened to me - but when the placenta finally came loose there was a flood of blood with it, beyond what any pads could deal with. Not long-lasting, so not dangerous - just all at once.

Again, I'm sorry. (((hugs)))

jana m

Postby jana m » Thu Oct 12, 2006 04:17 pm

Catherine,
I don't have the answers to your questions, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am. Sending lots of hugs your way.

hmoore

Postby hmoore » Thu Oct 12, 2006 02:25 pm

I had a m/c back in march it was natural. I was 7 weeks, the doctor knew that it was going to happen when they did my blood work my Hcg levels were not high. They sent me back for another test 3 days later and they dropped even lower later that night I started bleeding. I bleed for about a week it was a lot more clots then what I normally get with AF. I had really bad back pain and cramps that lasted for about 4 days. Midol helped me with that. When I was done bleeding I called the office to see if they wanted to see me and they told me no. It was a early miscarriage and there was nothing that they could really do for me. They also told me to give it a month and I could start trying again. Since everything happened naturally for me they did not even give me the option of a D&C. I am so sorry that you are going through this I wish there was something that I could do for you. A loss is hard no matter what if you were trying or not once you find out you are pregnant you just imagine this a baby and all the wonderful things that you want to do with and give this child. I am thinking of you and sending you many hugs!

akemt

Postby akemt » Thu Oct 12, 2006 02:21 pm

Thanks ladies. It looks like the average is roughly 2 weeks just from reading the web. I did call the doctor's office and talked to the nurse...she wasn't exactly helpful at all. She just said to go ahead and still do the HCG and that was it! I said that the doctor hadn't dicussed what to expect, etc, and she said, "Well, as long as they're not considering a D&C (which the nurse didn't even ask about), then expect some bleeding and cramping." I asked how long to expect, etc, and she just gave the "some people are done in a matter of days, for some it takes over a month" response. Yah, helpful! That was it. She didn't look up my chart, didn't talk to the doc, didn't say what warning signs to watch for or when to call, etc. So, no information from a doctor and no helpful info from the nurse. I love quality care!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Thu Oct 12, 2006 02:17 pm

I agree with Catherine - if you can let it happen naturally, that's what I would do. It's happened twice to me - both times very early on - and it was just like a very heavy period. Ibuprofen and hot baths helped me. It was over in a few days.

I'm sorry it didn't take this time, Cath.

alexp

Postby alexp » Thu Oct 12, 2006 02:11 pm

Oh Cath -

If it were me, I would call the doc as soon as they open, mainly because you deserve to get some peace of mind on this. They are going to want to see you again for repeat bloodwork again anyway, to see what is going on and/or make sure everything is out and your levels are back down to zero. You will probably get another u/s or two as well.

I'm not sure on the stats on times...my experience was with a D&C, but I was pretty far along. You are so early...while it is a purely personal choice, it may be best to try to avoid the D&C if you can. (But you need to do what feels right for you emotionally)

It will likely be like a bad period if you do it naturally.

My experience with bleeding after a d&c was - heavy the first day, light afterwards and completely done a week later. I did not get my period again for several months after...but I was very young, underweight and generally unhealthy. From the women I know who've had it done, most are back on normal cycles by the next month.

When they say not being able to get bleeding stopped - if you're talking about going to ER, that's likely an amount issue. Ask your doc about the time frame issue - my non-medical opinion/experience is that anything longer than a week or two probably means a recheck at the doctors to make sure everything is healing properly.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this - you are in my thoughts and prayers.

PS: Wanted to add - they do not always do these types of procedures in the materity/ L&D area. I have had two - one for a loss, the other for a subinvoluted uterus after I had the girls - both were done in outpatient surgery centers. It just depends on what is available where you live, I guess.

Return to “Grief and Loss”