Severe Swelling

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Severe Swelling

Postby alviarin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 08:13 pm

Hi Jessica,
How are you doing today? Any updates?
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

jessica.morrison

Postby jessica.morrison » Thu Aug 03, 2017 04:01 pm

I did call my dr office. They told me the normal, drink water, prop them up etc. I did get some compression socks as they suggested as well. They seem to just be making my feet hot and not really helping any. I told them about all my symptoms but they didn't seem like it was a concern. I'm going to give it until tomorrow morning and give them a call again if there is no improvement.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 00:16 am

Hi Jessica, and welcome to the forums.

Does your doc know that your swelling is "moving towards your hands?" If not, I would definitely call and let him know that you have noticed an increase in swelling. I'd also call if you have gained more than a few pounds in the last week.

Are you monitoring your pressures at home? Unfortunately as jen mentioned hypertension increases your risk of developing preeclampsia, so I would definitely keep your doc posted on any changes/concerns.

And here is a link to our signs and symptoms page if you haven't seen it already:
https://www.preeclampsia.org/health-inf ... n-symptoms
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

jenh

Postby jenh » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:50 pm

Generally, swelling of the feet and legs are considered a normal part of pregnancy and not a symptom of preeclampsia. Swelling of the face and hands is a red flag and worth seeing your doctor. Are you on salt restriction because of your high blood pressure? If not, increasing your salt intake can help with regular pregnancy swelling. And because preexisting hypertension is a risk factor for preeclampsia, you should continue to watch for any new or worsening symptom and report them to your doctor.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to four angels Grace (12/15/05), Ian (7/28/08), Declan (5/23/15), and Lucy (11/24/15)

jessica.morrison

Severe Swelling

Postby jessica.morrison » Wed Aug 02, 2017 06:33 pm

I am almost 30 weeks pregnant, single gestation. I have had pretty bad swelling in my feet for a month or so now. My dr keeps telling me this is fine. The last week or so the swelling seems to have increased quite a bit and never really goes down after drinking a lot of water and propping up. The swelling seems to be moving towards my hands. My BP readings have all been normal. I should also mention that I had hypertension prior to this pregnancy. It started 3 years ago when I was pregnant with my first, after delivery it went away but returned a few months later. I have been on BP medication ever since. All of my urine screens have been normal as well. Should I start to worry or just chalk this up to having cankles the rest of the time?! Thanks for your help.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”