Questions about preeclampsia

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jenh

Re: Questions about preeclampsia

Postby jenh » Mon May 08, 2017 03:56 pm

The current recommendation is to deliver after 37 weeks even for just mild PE. Ask your doctor what his/her criteria is for delivery and whether you should move forward now rather than waiting for things to get severe.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to four angels Grace (12/15/05), Ian (7/28/08), Declan (5/23/15), and Lucy (11/24/15)

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Questions about preeclampsia

Postby alviarin » Sun May 07, 2017 09:46 pm

Basically the criteria for severe preeclampsia are bad blood work results, severely high pressures, signs of possible cerebral edema (hyperreflexia, severe head pain, and/or visual disturbances), or pulmonary edema.

During my first pregnancy my main symptom of rapidly worsening preeclampsia was feeling extremely weak. I was retaining a lot of fluid so they were concerend about possible pulmonary edema.

Does your doctor know how you are feeling? If not I would call in and update them. My OB wanted me to call in if my diastolic pressures were in the 90s for more than a 1/2 hour and to head in for monitoring when my diastolic pressure was =>100.

Do you have a delivery date scheduled yet?

"Severe Features of Preeclampsia...
• Systolic blood pressure of 160 mm Hg or higher, or diastolic blood pressure of 110 mm Hg or higher on two occasions at least 4 hours apart while the patient is on bed rest (unless antihypertensive therapy is initiated before this time)
• Thrombocytopenia (platelet count less than 100,000/microliter)
• Impaired liver function as indicated by abnormally elevated blood concentrations of liver enzymes (to twice normal concentration), severe persistent right upper quadrant or epigastric pain unrespon- sive to medication and not accounted for by alternative diagnoses, or both
• Progressive renal insufficiency (serum creatinine concentration greater than 1.1 mg/dL or a doubling of the serum creatinine concentration in the absence of other renal disease)
• Pulmonary edema
• New-onset cerebral or visual disturbances"

"For women with mild gestational hypertension or preeclampsia without severe features at or beyond 37 0/7 weeks of gestation, delivery rather than continued observation is suggested"
https://www.acog.org/~/media/Task%20For ... gnancy.pdf
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

AnnaH

Questions about preeclampsia

Postby AnnaH » Sun May 07, 2017 01:06 am

I'm 37 and a half weeks pregnant with my first, and was diagnosed with preeclampsia about a week and a half ago. I'm really worried about seizures, but I'm also a huge hypochondriac, which does not help at all. So far it's just my bp that is a problem. Blood work has come back fine, but some days I have +1 protein, which they said is barely anything.

Anyways, I'm wondering if it's normal to become exhausted after doing small chores like tidying the kitchen? Has anyone else experienced this? I assume it's because it raises my bp so much( will get up to 150/100).
It does calm down after I sit for a bit and put my feet up.

Is it normal to be dizzy/light headed alot?

Also, what is has to happen for preeclampsia to be categorized as severe?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”