New LDA recommendations

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jedbelv

Re: New LDA recommendations

Postby jedbelv » Mon Dec 05, 2016 02:52 pm

Thank you for your response! I will bring it up when I see the mfm to see what she says.
3 wonderful sons ages 13, 10, and 6.

Son #1 and son #2 both born at 40 weeks, both weighed above 8 lbs and both pregnancies were completely problem free.

Suddenly developed chronic hypertension immediately AFTER second son was delivered ( Blood pressure was fine during entire pregnancy, but went up right after delivery) and have been on BP meds ever since. I was 24 yrs old at the time.

Son #3 born in 2007 at 37 weeks, 5 lbs 8 oz. Methyldopa started in second trimester. Uncontrollable high blood pressure throughout entire pregnancy. Son weighed only 5lbs 8oz. a significant difference from my first two.

Baby #4 ( a daughter!) born at 38 weeks. Weighed 8 lbs 3 oz. Bp perfect without meds in second and third trimesters until delivery. Took lda from pregnancy week 8 to week 18.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: New LDA recommendations

Postby alviarin » Sun Dec 04, 2016 07:40 pm

I'm guessing they changed it to 12 weeks since aspirin may raise the risk of miscarriage in early pregnancy for some women. However it may also help us preeclamptics as you pointed out. I was told to stop taking it at 36 weeks in my last pregnancy.

I wish I had a better answer for you, that sounds like a really good question to ask your OB or MFM. Please let us know what you find out.

ETA: I just went back and read the apirin recommendation again, sounds like it was based on available data. In the future they may have more data which might help them fine tune things better one way or the other.

"In 15 trials, use of low-dose aspirin was initiated between 12 and 28 weeks of gestation. None of the trials initiated use of aspirin before 12 weeks. In 8 trials, use of low-dose aspirin was initiated before 16 weeks. Evidence did not demonstrate benefit of starting aspirin earlier (12 to 16 weeks) rather than later (≥16 weeks) in pregnancy."

"Larger studies investigating aspirin use in the first or early second trimester may improve the evidence base on optimal timing of low-dose aspirin as preventive medication. Other areas of research include optimal therapies that individualize the aspirin dosage and timing of administration"

https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskfor ... medication
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

jedbelv

New LDA recommendations

Postby jedbelv » Wed Nov 30, 2016 01:36 pm

Hi everyone,
I am expecting baby #5 and am in my 11th week. My last pregnancy I took LDA from week 8 or 9 to week 18 with really good outcomes. For the first time since being diagnosed with chronic hypertension at the age of 24 I had perfect blood pressure readings during second and third trimesters without medication, my daughter weighed 8lbs 3oz and was born full term. In my previous pregnancy, my son was born 5lbs 8oz and blood pressure was completely uncontrollable throughout. The only thing I did differently this last pregnancy was take LDA from around week 9 to week 18. That was the recommendation in 2013 since "trophoblastic invasion of the spiral arteries starts at 8 weeks of gestation and is completed at 16–20 weeks of gestation". Now I read that it has changed to taking it from week 12 to week 34. I am confused as to why it would have to be taken beyond 18 -20 weeks? Also, why it is recommended to start at 12 weeks versus earlier. I have searched but cannot find an explanation.
I started taking at 9 weeks this time around like I did last time but am at a loss on when to stop. I feel as if LDA has side effects for me ( ringing of the ears, jitteriness, and heartburn) so I do not want to take it longer than needed.
3 wonderful sons ages 13, 10, and 6.

Son #1 and son #2 both born at 40 weeks, both weighed above 8 lbs and both pregnancies were completely problem free.

Suddenly developed chronic hypertension immediately AFTER second son was delivered ( Blood pressure was fine during entire pregnancy, but went up right after delivery) and have been on BP meds ever since. I was 24 yrs old at the time.

Son #3 born in 2007 at 37 weeks, 5 lbs 8 oz. Methyldopa started in second trimester. Uncontrollable high blood pressure throughout entire pregnancy. Son weighed only 5lbs 8oz. a significant difference from my first two.

Baby #4 ( a daughter!) born at 38 weeks. Weighed 8 lbs 3 oz. Bp perfect without meds in second and third trimesters until delivery. Took lda from pregnancy week 8 to week 18.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”