Not "diagnosed" but having every symptom--what to do?!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Not "diagnosed" but having every symptom--what to do?!

Postby alviarin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 01:26 am

I'm glad you had a good talk with the MFM today, and that you have frequent appoinments set up. I know it always makes me feel better when I felt like my doctor is on the same page and is taking my concerns seriously.

Are you monitoring your pressures or doing kick counts at home?

Good luck, I hope taking it easier helps so that you can stay home longer. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. :)
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

ashley.cooper

Postby ashley.cooper » Wed Nov 30, 2016 00:20 am

Thanks for asking! The MFM said they'd treat me as if I had preeclampsia based off BP & symptoms. They will review more after my 24 hr urine results come back. I'm 33 weeks and being seen 2xs a week for BPP/NST so I feel so much better as I'm being monitored and someone is watching my labs, etc. I did start to feel better as the day went, the headache is there but like background noise compared to what it has been lately--I didn't know symptoms could do that but the MFM said they can wane & return. I am basically on bedrest trying to avoid being admitted to the hospital for bedrest.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:42 pm

How did the appointment go today?

I am wondering if maybe they are blaming the swelling/pressures on your underlying kidney issue (maybe due to increased demands of pregnancy)? I know I would be worried with those symptoms. I would want to talk to the OB and/or MFM and ask why (or why not) they aren't concerned since your pressures are running significantly higher than your normal baseline, and at what pressures/symptoms they would be more concerned.

How many weeks are you? How often are your appointments now?
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

ashley.cooper

Not "diagnosed" but having every symptom--what to do?!

Postby ashley.cooper » Tue Nov 29, 2016 01:12 pm

This is my 4th pregnancy, the 1st I had preeclampsia that resulted in bedrest and an unscheduled c-section at 38 weeks. This past Tuesday I went in for a scheduled NST/BPP at my MFM office (I have GD & an underlying kidney issue that causes me to spill protein all the time) and mentioned I have had a bad headache the past two days--my face is puffier and hands painfully swollen. The doctor brushed it off since my BP was only 141/85 and off I went rather mad they didn't want to check my urine/etc. I progressively felt worse, on Wednesday I called my OB and asked if I could have labs done--the doctor was out so the nurse told me to take tylenol and drink more water. Finally on Sunday I woke up feeling even worse--BP 148/95, dizzy, eyes blurry and floaters, my headache was AWFUL, hands red and painful, extremely tired/weak--just not well...I went into labor & delivery where I saw no doctor but had labs drawn & the baby monitored. My blood pressure went from 140's to 130's while I was there--they sent me home to do a 24 hr urine and told me to follow up with my OB at my appointment that week. Now it's Tuesday and I'm starting to feel better--so long as I'm not up moving around and laying down is when my headache is at its least. I see the MFM today for NST/BPP and want to know if I'm crazy--I really feel like I have Preeclampsia or the beginnings of it. I woke up last night sick to my stomach, my neck/shoulder hurting, and feeling awful--similar to the night before. My headaches are there but far less painful in the morning. From your experience is this pre-e or could it be something else? No one seems concerned since my BP isn't "that high" but my normal is usually 110/70.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”