Pregnancy after preeclampsia

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
dracarey

Re: Pregnancy after preeclampsia

Postby dracarey » Mon Dec 19, 2016 08:44 pm

I had an ultrasound at 8 weeks to confirm my dates, and then my other ultrasounds started at 20 weeks. That's when they started checking growth, uterine artery resistance and resistance in the umbilical cord. I believe the plan had been to continue with monthly ultrasounds, but at 24 weeks there was high-normal resistance in the umbilical cord, so they bumped it up to every 2 weeks. Now I'm 32 weeks, and I will have weekly BPPs (biophysical profiles done). Those ultrasounds consist of checking for muscle tone, movement, practice breathing and amniotic fluid levels. The umbilical cord resistance has improved, so now I'm back to monthly growth ultrasounds. It sounds complicated, but basically from here on out I show up at the hospital every week. Sometimes the ultrasounds are longer, and measure more things, and sometimes they are just mini ultrasounds focused on the BPP. I think no matter what plan is laid out for you initially, it will be fairly fluid and depend on each ultrasound's findings. If at any point you feel like the monitoring should be stepped up, don't hesitate to ask about it. I wasn't ready to switch back to monthly growth ultrasounds when my doctor was, so I requested one more ultrasound at a 2 week interval just for my peace of mind. My doctor was very accommodating and it helped me to believe that the good news from the previous ultrasound was real. :)

Otherwise I am monitoring my blood pressure at home, and I've made sure the machine reads accurately by bringing it along to the doctor to compare readings. After this week I will also start seeing my doctor weekly. That particular schedule of appointments, along with urine protein monitoring and blood work will likely be determined by how things are progressing with your pregnancy and your previous history as well. I think some women have a baseline 24 hour protein done early in their pregnancy so they have something to compare against if things change, but I didn't have that done.

Hope this is helpful!
Anne Marie

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Pregnancy after preeclampsia

Postby alviarin » Sun Dec 04, 2016 07:36 pm

Congratulations on your pregnancy, and welcome to the forums!

I'm afraid I can't remember exactly when the extra ultrasounds started my last pregnancy, but hopefully someone else does. Plus my schedule might have been different anyway since I had some extra ultrasounds scheduled to check growth since I was on blood pressure meds.

Something that made me feel more proactive in my last two pregnancies was monitoring my blood pressure at home.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

Crystalashley720

Pregnancy after preeclampsia

Postby Crystalashley720 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 07:36 pm

Hi everyone, I am new.
I developed severe preeclampsia at 33 weeks and 5 days my last pregnancy. They gave me steroid shots for the baby's lungs and delivered him via c section (he was breech) at 34 weeks.

I am now 12 weeks pregnant. My doctor has me taking baby aspirin. She said that she would like to do more ultrasounds this time around to check the blood flow to the placenta. I was wondering when would that start? and how often will they be? Also are there any other precautions you and your doctor took or are taking ?
Thank you!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”