Scared and not sure what to expect

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
laney_p
Forum Moderator

Re: Scared and not sure what to expect

Postby laney_p » Fri Nov 03, 640834 3:20 pm

Give us an update on how you are doing, tater4414! How'd the urine catch go? Any updates from your doctor/nurse?
Director of Community Relations for the Preeclampsia Foundation
*does not provide any medical advice*
for more information, please visit www.preeclampsia.org

La Directora de las Relaciones con la Comunidad
*no ofrece consejo médico*
Se habla español
Para mas información, por favor visite: www.preeclampsia.org/es

jenh

Re: Scared and not sure what to expect

Postby jenh » Mon Aug 14, 640834 11:58 am

You have a number of concerning symptoms that could indicate preeclampsia and/or HELLP syndrome. I'm surprised they released you instead of doing the urine catch in hospital. One of the hardest parts about this condition is that many of the symptoms could be preeclampsia, could be regular pregnancy stuff, or could be something unrelated. The blood work will tell if you have HELLP syndrome, which is very serious. The headache and vision issues could also indicate brain swelling which is a big risk factor for seizure. Did they tell you what symptoms to look for, what would require calling in, and what would require heading back to the hospital? I hope by now you're getting the results of your lab work and being evaluated again.

If you do have PE, the average time from diagnosis to delivery is 2 weeks. This includes people who were delivered within 48 hours (me!) and those who lingered for weeks (also me!) They need to look at the whole picture of what's going on for both you and your baby to decide the best time to deliver. At 28 weeks, they would likely want to do steroid shots to develop baby's lungs.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to four angels Grace (12/15/05), Ian (7/28/08), Declan (5/23/15), and Lucy (11/24/15)

tater4414

Scared and not sure what to expect

Postby tater4414 » Thu Aug 03, 640834 5:43 am

Help please! so yesterday i went to the ER for a rash i have had for several weeks and was sent to labor and delivery because i was 28 weeks.
They started evaluating and took my blood pressure it was 150/110 and the nurse said are you not feeling good?
I told her I hadn't been feeling good for several weeks. She asked what was wrong so I told her about my severe headaches, blurred vision, vision loss, seeing spots, labored breathing after just standing up, pain in the right side of my chest, and extreme fatigue .
She ran and got the doctor who made me give a urine sample it cam back plus 1 for protein . they started taking lots of labs and told me i had to do a 24 hour urine catch. i got home and had another severe headache and pain in my chest and this time it was accompanied by severe stomach pain. I didn't sleep all night because my nausea was through the roof and I hurt so bad.
My question is what the heck is going on and will the find lots of protein in my 24 hour catch?? i have never heard of this before and I'm so scared because they said I may have to stay there today if my protein is high. Is this common??

Return to “Ask the Experienced”