Anxiety and/or PTSD

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
laney_p
Forum Moderator

Re: Anxiety and/or PTSD

Postby laney_p » Sun Mar 05, 640834 6:40 pm

You are definitely not alone in experiencing PTSD after severe preeclampsia. Research has shown that women who have had preeclampsia, eclampsia and HELLP are about 4-10x more likely to screen positively for PTSD, and the more severe the outcome, the more likely it is!

Are you getting any help, either from family support or from a professional? There are mental health counselors that specialize in pregnancy and health-related-incidents therapy that might be a good start.

The other important thing is to remember to be gentle with yourself. It's natural after such a physically and emotionally trying experience to struggle, but there is help.
Director of Community Relations for the Preeclampsia Foundation
*does not provide any medical advice*
for more information, please visit www.preeclampsia.org

La Directora de las Relaciones con la Comunidad
*no ofrece consejo médico*
Se habla español
Para mas información, por favor visite: www.preeclampsia.org/es

rosesinapril

Anxiety and/or PTSD

Postby rosesinapril » Mon Jan 30, 640834 10:17 am

Did any of you ladies have anxiety and/or PTSD after your pre-e? I got anxiety while still in the hospital, my baby being briefly NICU'd was what snapped that fragile thread. Afterwards my midwife and OB told me that PTSD is very common among patients who had severe pre-e like I did. So I wonder, and I know mental health is something a lot of us don't want to talk about, I feel ashamed of it a lot of the time and guilty because I look around me at moms with their baby's and see how normal and happy they look, it's so natural and yet here I am with this awful.

Are any of you struggling? Or did struggle and were able to find a way through it? A way to heal completely? It just makes me so frustrated to be given a "clean" bill of health and yet my mind is lagging behind.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”