when would you feel comfortable leaving the hospital?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: when would you feel comfortable leaving the hospital?

Postby alviarin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 09:55 pm

I'm glad to hear you are doing better.

After my second pregnancy my pressures spiked a week postpartum. It took several weeks for my pressures to come back down (necessitating a few dose changes along the way).

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

strawberries

Postby strawberries » Tue Feb 02, 2016 09:07 pm

Thank you for your response, alviarin!

I ended up going home the following day after 24 hours of pressures in the 140s/90s. It seems the doctors were right about things improving quickly, because within a few days of getting home I was back into the 120s/80s. (Or maybe the hospital just stressed me out!) So nearly a week after coming home, I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop, as you said, but feeling hopeful.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 08:56 pm

Hi how are you doing this week? Sorry it took so long to get a reply.

After preeclampsia it took a long time for me to feel comfortable (I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop)! However I believe statistically the highest danger from preeclampsia is in the first few days postpartum, plus the highest risk from high BP alone is in the "severe" hypertension range. So if your pressures are controlled below that number, and you don't have other symptoms, odds are you will be ok. I understand if that isn't totally reassuring though!

Please keep us posted as you get on!
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

strawberries

when would you feel comfortable leaving the hospital?

Postby strawberries » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:29 pm

I just delivered baby #2 (no PE with #1) and developed postpartum PE 3 days pp. Chronic hypertension, was induced for high BP but no PE at that time. The BP was in the severe range but I believe the other PE signs were mild. At any rate, they are concerned only about BP at this point. Now readmitted to the hospital for monitoring while we get my meds figured out. Completely asymptomatic. 7 days pp today.

So here's my question... based on your experience, what numbers would you like to see, and for how long, before you would feel comfortable leaving?
I want to avoid leaving and coming back, if possible...for one thing, my baby can room in with me now but would not be able to if I were to leave and come back, plus we have family from out of town to help with our older child who will likely leave once we go home.

The doctors here seem to want consistent readings under 160/110 for about 24 hours before they discharge me. They are totally fine with anything under that cutoff, because they feel it will just go down over time, and I'll have a harder time adjusting back to whatever happens next if we knock me down too low. So it seems like they are actually targeting 140s/90s rather than lower than that. At the same time, once I'm home they would want me to call (and, I suspect, go in) for anything above 160/110.

I just wanted to get some opinions from experienced folks since I think this is not quite conservative enough. But I don't know what else I would feel comfortable with. How many hours of monitoring is enough at 7 days out? What cutoff would make you feel comfortable? How soon is BP likely to go down, and how much? I know there's no guarantee that things will stay under control at home, just wondering what you would be comfortable with!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”