Terrified First Time Mom -Induction at 38 weeks due to eclampsia and worried about Son's outcome

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jenh

Re: Terrified First Time Mom -Induction at 38 weeks due to eclampsia and worried about Son's outcome

Postby jenh » Tue Jan 19, 2016 01:21 am

I'm sorry you've had such a rough start to motherhood. Hang in there. It gets easier.

If your anxiety is interfering with enjoying your baby, you may want to get evaluated for post partum depression/anxiety. It's not unusual to have it after a complicated birth (although any woman can have it, even if everything goes perfect.) Getting proper help will make a huge difference. Don't try to tough it out or downplay it. You deserve to enjoy your baby and your life.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to four angels Grace (12/15/05), Ian (7/28/08), Declan (5/23/15), and Lucy (11/24/15)

TiffanyFichtenbaum

Re: Terrified First Time Mom -Induction at 38 weeks due to eclampsia and worried about Son's outcome

Postby TiffanyFichtenbaum » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:28 pm

Hi ,

to be honest I am extremely overwhelmed , preeclampsia hit me towards the end of my pregnancy unexpectedly
I was induced and in labor with my son for 56 hours before it was decided to have him by emergency c-section !
once he was born he didn't need a NICU and the neonatal nurses in the Nursery told me that he had a decent apgar score of 9 .
I had a tough pregnancy regardless , at one point I had to stop taking my prenatal vitamins because I was nauseated and throwing up and the vitamin couldn't stay down with the vitamin
I picked up with the vitamins again ..but it was also on and off ..I tried eating healthy as I could .
not stressing so much and doing all the things one does in a normal pregnancy . I am also afraid I might of hurt my baby when it was developing by not taking my prenatals as often as I should have
and I was on very light medicine for gastroenteritis and common colds , an heartburn h
as a first time mother I haven't been around newborns enough to know what their natural behaviour is like
I might be worrying about nothing at all , but googling symptoms on the net doesn't help matters much as very troubling stuff can and does pop up

he just seems a bit lethargic a week later, he is very quiet baby
he cries when he needs something and squirms around like a newborn
he is a slow latcher , and has a bit of stiff arms and legs which I assume is normal as he was in the womb not to long ago , I dont know if they will become normally stretching or not soon
with all this emotional stuff going on ,I am just so over it ....the anxiety is taking over me , and I cant enjoy my son the way i am supposed to and that hurts so much , instead of seeing a healthy baby I look at him
and see what could be wrong with him as a result of all of this , I just want to heal 110 percent and be able to fully enjoy my beautiful baby boy

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:37 pm

I also wanted to add, just in case, that anxiety can also be a symptom of pre-e. So make sure to mention it to your health care providers if you haven't already.

For other signs and symptoms of preeclampsia:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/health-info ... n-symptoms
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:08 pm

Hi Tiffany,
Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to hear you had such a scary experience with preeclampsia.

How are you feeling physically? How old is your son now?

Some anxiety is totally normal after experiencing pre-e since it is so scary. Some of our posters have even been diagnosed with PTSD, and have sought psychiatric aid to help cope with symptoms.

I don't know if sharing my experience will help but my son was also born at 38 weeks due to severe pre-e several years ago and he is thriving to this day. My older daughter was induced at 37 weeks due to pre-e, and her heart rate also dropped, probably due to the cord being wrapped around her neck during labor. She was also a little "sleepy" and jaundiced in the beginning (which posed some breastfeeding challenges), which I was told was pretty normal based on her gestational age. However she didn't require any extra hospital time and is also doing well today.

I would tend to trust the docs, since they have seen you and your son in person and have all the years of medical school behind him. However, I also normally believe in trusting your "mommy instinct". What does your family pediatrician say? If you still aren't comfortable or feel that your concerns aren't being heard getting a second opinion couldn't hurt.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

TiffanyFichtenbaum

Terrified First Time Mom -Induction at 38 weeks due to eclampsia and worried about Son's outcome

Postby TiffanyFichtenbaum » Mon Jan 18, 2016 09:52 pm

Hey there ,

I am wondering how things are going with you ..
despite all the craziness I have been through I am doing well.
I dont know if I told you I had complication in my pregnancy , I developed preeclampsia towards the last two weeks of my pregnancy and had to be induced to deliver my son ..I was in labor for 56 hours before an emergency c section had to be done to save my life and my son's life . I am still worried that all the stress my body went through to have him might of hurt him , I trust my doctors when they say he is doing well . After all he was born two weeks before his due date @ 38 weeks so he isnt super premature ..but I still worry about him nonetheless his heart rate dropped at the end and doctors where describing my baby as being " sleepy " which is why I had an Emergency C section ...after working with the special needs population ...and knowing that some issues are birth related, its really putting my head in a spin ....Do I trust the doctors when they say he is OK after all of this ?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”