Worried, not really sure what's happening.

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
elaine5698

Re: Worried, not really sure what's happening.

Postby elaine5698 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:15 pm

I went to the doctor today and they are taking me out of work for two weeks. They are also having me see maternal fetal medicine and I go there on Thursday. They are also having me see a nephrologist. I'm supposed to monitor my blood pressure and keep my stress down. The doctor told me that she doesn't think I need bed rest, but being away from the stress of work would be good. I know that the intended mom wants me to not work. I guess we will see. I haven't been officially diagnosed with preeclampsia, but they are concerned that it will be I guess. I'll keep you guys updated, and let you know what they say in Thursday. Thanks!!

elaine5698

Postby elaine5698 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 08:19 pm

Thank you everyone for all the information. I have a regular OB appointment tomorrow and the anatomy scan (we already know it's a girl though!). I'm assuming I'll know more tomorrow afternoon!

Thanks!

brandib

Postby brandib » Mon Sep 21, 2015 07:11 pm

Keep us updated! You're doing such an amazing thing. Like Laney said, it's very early to get preeclampsia, but not completely unheard of. Thinking of you!

laney_p
Forum Moderator

Postby laney_p » Mon Sep 21, 2015 06:42 pm

Hey Tommie,

So sorry to hear of all that you are going through when you are doing SUCH a wonderful and generous thing for another family. Unfortunately, for reasons that aren't totally understood by research, surrogate pregnancies are at a slightly elevated risk for preeclampsia. Families that have been through IVF are also at higher risk, so research suspects it may have to do with genetic factors related to placental implantation.

All of the symptoms that you describe sound like it's really good that you are being watched very carefully for preeclampsia. Your providers are likely being very cautious, because though it is a bit early for preeclampsia, early onset can be more difficult to manage. If you do have preeclampsia, they will want to take each step carefully from hereon out. Bed rest has shown some benefit for delaying premature birth for a few weeks, but unfortunately, the most recent ACOG guidelines state that it has no perceived benefit for delaying the onset of preeclampsia.

The below information is just to help inform you, not to scare you! As an RN, I suspect that you'd rather know what may be coming your way, than to not. Better to know and not need it (which is what we will cross our fingers and hope!!) than to not know and need it.

If you are diagnosed with preeclampsia, they will monitor your blood pressure closely, and do regular checks on you and the growing baby. Preeclampsia can cause growth restriction, so they will be carefully monitoring the baby's size and development as you progress in the pregnancy. If there are signs that you or the baby are not doing well, they may choose to deliver you early to give you and the baby the best chance at recovery. In that scenario, they will administer steroids to help mature the baby's lungs, and the baby will likely spend some time growing and developing in the neonatal intensive care unit. In you, they will be looking at your BP patterns, kidney functionality, the severity of your edema (swelling), and signs that your liver or brain may be affected. Any of those signs may mean that they want to deliver you. It probably goes without saying since you are in medicine, but make sure you report all your symptoms to your care providers! The good news is with careful monitoring and care, more early preemies are surviving than ever before. It's truly amazing what neonatal technology can do!

Please be sure to give us regular updates on what you find out; we'll be thinking about you and hoping for the very best!!
Laney
Director of Community Relations for the Preeclampsia Foundation
*does not provide any medical advice*
for more information, please visit www.preeclampsia.org

La Directora de las Relaciones con la Comunidad
*no ofrece consejo médico*
Se habla español
Para mas información, por favor visite: www.preeclampsia.org/es

elaine5698

Worried, not really sure what's happening.

Postby elaine5698 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 04:56 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Tommie, and I'm 19 weeks into my fourth pregnancy. I am currently a surrogate for a very nice couple who is unable to have their own kids. The baby I'm carrying has the intended couples sperm and a donor egg. It's not my genetics at all.

I've never had preeclampsia with any of my pregnancies. Last week at 18 weeks, I had a five pound weight gain in just over 2 days, swelling in my hands (others said face too, but I didn't see it), lots of headaches that I couldn't get to go away with tylenol, and my blood pressure was 146/86. My blood pressures usually run low 110's over 60/70's. I called my office and they had me come in. My bp there was like 128/68. They set me up to do a 24 hour urine and did some other lab work. I just got the results today and my protein was 594. They are setting me up to see a perinatologist and a nephrologist. Now, I've been monitoring my bp's since last week and they are all over the place. They range from the 120's to 140's and from the 60's to 80's. Literally all over the place. I have the swelling in my hands intermittently, but nothing horrible, and I don't feel bad.

Right now the intended mother is thinking that I'm going to be placed on bed rest, and the agency I'm with spoke with the fertility doctor and he said to expect bed rest.

I just feel overwhelmed right now. I'm only 19 weeks, I don't feel bad, I've never had anything like this, and I just feel like I'm totally ok to work. Don't get me wrong, I know how serious this could be, I think I'm just in shock that we are leaning this way right now. I really expected them to say drink more water (which I'm doing anyways). I'm an RN in the emergency department, and I think because this is way outside of my knowledge/comfort zone I'm feeling very inadequate to deal with it.

Any advice? I know you guys know a lot more about this than I do. Is this just everyone being super cautious, or am I really in the thick of preeclampsia??

Thanks for reading!
Tommie

Return to “Ask the Experienced”