Liver Enzymes still high postpartum...?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rosesinapril

Re: Liver Enzymes still high postpartum...?

Postby rosesinapril » Mon Aug 03, 2015 01:35 am

I am 3mo pp and I got my labs done this past Fri and my liver enzymes are all within NORMAL range! Praise God! We're praying they stay that way! ^_^

laney_p
Forum Moderator

Postby laney_p » Wed Jun 10, 2015 05:17 pm

Hey RoseinApril,

So sorry to hear about your lingering difficulties post-preeclampsia. It can be really frustrating to continue feeling bad and not know what's going on. Have the doctors run any additional tests to look for underlying liver issues? That being said, many women can take weeks or months to return to normal levels as the body flushes out all remnants of having been pregnant. I've heard of women who have continued to experience up to 3-4 months postpartum. So just keep following up with your doc.

And check back in with us so we know how you are doing!
Director of Community Relations for the Preeclampsia Foundation
*does not provide any medical advice*
for more information, please visit www.preeclampsia.org

La Directora de las Relaciones con la Comunidad
*no ofrece consejo médico*
Se habla español
Para mas información, por favor visite: www.preeclampsia.org/es

rosesinapril

Postby rosesinapril » Sun Jun 07, 2015 00:04 am

I did have them checked again at my 6wks pp and they went up instead of down. At the hospital they were in the 180s and when I was discharged they were between 120-140 and a week later they were 70...then I got my blood drawn every week since then and every week they would go up and up by 10 points, right now my alt is 110 and my ast is 73. To most doctors (except my midwife and OB) they see those numbers and they're not worried, but my OB told me that a healing liver trends down, not up. So now I'm being sent to GI, per my midwife since my regular doctor thinks it's unnecessary for him to send me to a GI.

I stopped taking all supplements weeks ago, I haven't had Tylenol in years, or taken any pain killers (not in the hospital pp or since).

I'm just not too sure if this is a common trend for the liver after pp pre-e. I know I've seen posts where some ladies on here mention their BPs take a while, as well as their kidney functions, but there's less mentioned on liver functions. It's a waiting game right now. I was talking to my midwife earlier this week and she said I was her first patient in her entire career with pre-e postpartum and it was a riddle since pre-e is cured after the placenta is delivered...but for me her and my OB had to just watch and see what my body was going to do.

wsara

Postby wsara » Fri Jun 05, 2015 01:19 am

Hello,

Being a new mom is hard enough on its own, let alone having your own health concerns as you try to care for your new baby! We understand :)
Do you know how high they were in the hospital? And how often have they been checked postpartum? Generally once they start trending downward they'll keep going down but I do recall a visit I made to the ER where they were suddenly a bit (not dramatically) higher and they were perplexed - I believe I ended up having an abdominal ultrasound which was normal.

Are you on any medications that could impact liver enzymes? Tylenol is one, if used in high enough doses. I imagine they'll recheck you at your 6-week check if they've been watching it closely so far? Good luck!!

rosesinapril

Liver Enzymes still high postpartum...?

Postby rosesinapril » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:34 pm

Hello, I had postpartum preeclampsia in April (4/22) and was discharged after 3 days in hospital. My blood pressure is relatively normal, it goes up and down, stays normal, but if I'm stressed it does spike. The question I have is if any of you ladies experienced your liver enzymes still elevated postpartum? I'll be 6wks postpartum tomorrow and my ALT and AST is still high, right after I was discharged they were going down, but these past few blood tests have shown them trending up and not down. Has anyone else had their enzymes go up and down for a while? I've just been so stressed about this because I just want to make a full recovery and enjoy motherhood. She's my first baby and this has been somewhat traumatic and very worrisome. Thanks!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”