Edema without diagnostic BP

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: Edema without diagnostic BP

Postby caryn » Tue Apr 14, 2015 02:47 pm

Technically swelling isn't a symptom because pregnancy hemodynamics are so weird that normal pregnancies are really likely to involve swelling, but swelling in the face is always concerning. The fluid *should* have somewhere lower to go, and it doesn't because all her tissues have too much fluid for gravity to pull it to her feet. That's enough swelling to make anyone who knows things about preeclampsia nervous.

I guess the platelets *could* just be pregnancy-induced thrombocytopenia. Maybe.

They've also taken proteinuria out of the diagnostic requirements, because some preeclamptics don't have it. How's her headache/ visual disturbance/ epigastric pain symptom triad? Any increase in anxiety?

I also hate watching. Hopefully she has a healthy baby in a few days, and an easy delivery and recovery!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

Sparks3

Postby Sparks3 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:53 am

Thanks for the reply, KetchupSpud. :-)

I also had trace urine dips, but my 24 hour was 5000 the day I had my son. They actually reran the test because they didn't believe the results because I hadn't been dipping protein all week. She isn't dipping anything alarming apparently. Her Doc did see her Friday, but her facial swelling happened Saturday and on. She cannot find shoes that fit, and she said that the tops of her feet, ankles, and calves feel like bruises. My husband's cousin just delivered over the weekend due to Pre-E, and at Easter she had the same swelling under the eyes that I had and friend has.

Her Doctor was out yesterday, so I'm hoping and praying that at her Friday appointment her doctor will actually listen to her. She's taking her BP at home as well.

Thanks-again for helping me keep things in perspective without being overbearing to her, lol!

KetchupSpud

Postby KetchupSpud » Tue Apr 14, 2015 00:36 am

I think it's great that you're worrying for your friend. :) As for her symptoms, my first sign was swelling. The day my husband told me my eyes "looked weird" (from the swelling) was the day I was admitted to the hospital and found to have protein of 8000. I do know that some folks get far more drastic swelling in pregnancy than others, but I didn't have any until pre-e hit (in hindsight, the swelling came on suddenly about 1.5 weeks before I was diagnosed). One day my shoes fit fine and the next day I took scissors to my socks at work because they were strangling my ankles. :lol:
Have they been doing urine dips? I didn't even have trace at my appt on a Tues and the swelling hit suddenly on Wed. I don't think you're overreacting at all. How does your friend feel? Are there other doctors at the practice where she can get a second opinion? Has the doctor actually seen her? My nurse didn't think 158/93 was high enough bp to need immediate care but the doctor overheard her and took the phone. Sometimes nurses don't relay information as well as we'd like or doctors need to see/hear it for themselves. Good luck!
Mama to Logan Patrick (8/23/14-8/26/14) & Bryce Anthony (8/23/14-9/13/14), frateral twins born at 23w5d due to severe pre-e turning into HELLP.
Hoping for a rainbow in Sept '16.

Sparks3

Edema without diagnostic BP

Postby Sparks3 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 04:37 pm

Hello there! I used to frequent this site about 7 years ago after I had my first baby at 27 weeks due to severe pre-e/HELLP syndrome. I went on to (thankfully) have two more babies, both healthy, with no pre-e, largely due to the help I received on this site. :-)

Now, a very dear friend of mine is 38+2 weeks pregnant with her first, and she is giving me some very unpleasant flashbacks of my first pregnancy. I'm trying to use my experience to help her because I care about her and do not want her to go down the path of emergency that I followed, but I'm mainly coming here for a reality check! She has very severe edema in her legs, thighs, and feet, and over the course of the weekend her swelling has moved on to her face, hands, and under her eyes. It is very, incredibly noticeable. Her BP has not hit 140/90, but she typically has low BP (105-115/60-70) and I am concerned because her BP is running in 120's over high 80's. Her platelet count has dropped also (which I know can happen in pregnancy in the 3rd tri), but it's to the point where she is seeing a hematologist today.

Am I overreacting in being concerned? Her Nurse called her back today and advised that a Pre-E panel and 24 hour urine is not necessary, yet. I'm just looking for a little reassurance that I am not completely overreacting. I have just never seen typical pregnancy swelling this bad.

Thank you!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”