high BP episodes?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: high BP episodes?

Postby alviarin » Wed Dec 14, 640501 9:12 pm

I'm glad to hear your pressures have been better today and yesterday.

My OB wanted me to take my pressures twice day, morning and evening. I would actually log my pressure readings on a spreadsheet to share with my doc, but I think there are some phone apps that can be used to log pressures too. My pressures tend to run higher in the evening.

I hope your pressures stay down, and that you are able to get some guidelines at your next appointment as far as when to call-in or head in if they go back up again.

Please keep us posted on how you get on!
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

Betheney

Postby Betheney » Wed Dec 14, 640501 8:45 pm

I didn't call in because my BP has been completely normal since that episode.

Mostly 130-135/85ish occassionally will drop to 115/75 the only high reading I've had the last few days was last night when i got home from a big night out with the family it was 135/90 and after 30 mins of resting it went straight down to 120/80

I think on average they might be a smidgen higher than they used to, but seriously not by much. I'm seeing less diastolics in the high 70's and more in they mid-high 80's but still avoiding 90 out anything above that (except for that 1 last night)

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Wed Dec 14, 640501 10:11 am

Betheney, were you able to call in today?

How are you feeling?
Hypothyroid mom to

Betheney

Postby Betheney » Mon Nov 21, 640501 11:42 pm

Oh I'm 34 weeks pregnant! So been monitoring for a while and this has never happened.

First baby i had PIH at 29 weeks PE 32 weeks delivered at 33 weeks.

Your suggestions and help is great thank you to both of you!!!

I usually find its lowish in the morning DIA of 80 or even as low as 75 and higherish in the evenings DIA of 86-87 but then again sometimes in the evening it's low.

I woke up and tested this morning and DIA was 86 so slightly high for a morning reading before eating or anything. I might start taking it at specific times and log them like suggested. I've always just kept more of a mental record and rough estimates of what I'm used to.

My Ob knows I have a monitor but has never said when to call them. Twice this pregnancy my DIA has reached 90 during a consult with them and both times she was completely unphased. So i know they're at least not worried up to 90.

My clinic is such a pain in the arse to call. They only run Thursdays. So I can't call them during the rest of the week to ask questions.

I don't have an appt tomorrow (Thursday) but have one next Thursday. Might see how i go today and maybe try and call tomorrow when theyre there, but more than likely i wouldn't get through.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Nov 21, 640501 9:12 pm

How many weeks are you? (I'm assuming you're pregnant! If not, I have different comments.)

As pregnancy progresses we can get more "labile" - which mostly means our systems are struggling to maintain bp in a normal range. It's often a precursor to having it rise, and stay high. Sometimes it's just an isolated spike. Docs often suggest logging your pressures at a few regular times per day, so that if you become labile it will show up on a regular record and they'll be able to dismiss the idea of an isolated incident.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Nov 21, 640501 2:25 pm

I've had labile/variable high BP before. My pressures bounced around for a couple of months with my second pregnancy, but I started getting more and more high readings as time went on. My OB told me to call if my diastolic stayed in the 90s for over a half hour and to head to L&D and if it got up to 160/100, either number.

On the rare occassion I felt a pressure reading was an error, I would re-take it after several minutes as you described. My readings were normally pretty consistent, but if you feel like your home monitor might be in error you could always bring it in to your next appoinment to double-check.

How far along are you?

It might be worth a phone call to see at what pressures they want to hear from you? (If they haven't given you some guidelines already). Or if you update them they might want you to come in sooner for a BP check/urine dipstick test.
Hypothyroid mom to

Betheney

high BP episodes?

Postby Betheney » Mon Nov 21, 640501 3:55 am

Hey girls. I just need some help from those of you with BP home monitors.

I got a reading of like 120/92 about 1.5hrs ago. I can probably count less than a dozen times I've gotten this reading and probably a total of 4 times the diastolic has reached 94. Usually when it happens i wait 10 minutes test again and it's completely normal. Making it more of an isolated spike, whether it was the machine or me i don't know but i usually test every couple.of hours for the rest of the day amd BP is always back to fine.

So tonight when i got 120/92 at 5pm i wasn't too concerned. I tested 5 mins later and got 123/93 then 5 minutes latwr 129/97 (highest reading this pregnancy) 5mins later 126/104 then 10 mins later 128/100 then 10 mins again 126/100 10 mins again 125/ 97 then 134/96 then 135/90 then 124/90 then over an hour after the first reading 134/86 which is where it seems to be staying with the diastolic floating between 80 and 86.

What do you girls think of this? Yes i was walking around prior but I've tested my BP after doing all sorts of activities and my diastolic usually doesnt react to anything. Plus the fact i was sitting there stationary waiting to test again means it should go down not continually up. Obviously I'm not calling the hospital, there's little point with it going down again. I've just never had this... I've either had good BP or very high BP that won't come down. But this one came down... what does that mean? Does that mean things are starting to play up? Does it mean nothing? Has anyone who avoided PE the second time around have episodes like this that meant nothing? I

I usually test my BP all day lol and nothing like this has ever happened before. I've tested it when I've been anxious or upset and still never had it this high. So i don't think it's anxiety related.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”