New to this forum, 33 weeks pregnant

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: New to this forum, 33 weeks pregnant

Postby caryn » Mon Dec 01, 2014 06:07 pm

Keep us posted as you're able!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 00:35 am

Yeah for 38 weeks! Good luck this week!
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

kc295905

Postby kc295905 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 00:04 am

38 and 4 today. Blood pressure is staying the same around 130/90. Still no protein in urine or any other symptoms and all my nsts have been good. Just waiting for the baby to come! Hoping it comes on it's own before my due date it before talk of induction. My doctor doesn't want me to go past my due date but may let me go a little past 39 weeks. I was 3 cm dilated last week which I know doesn't mean a whole lot but here's hoping! have also been having more braxton hicks. Will update more as I can!

Jodie79us

Postby Jodie79us » Sat Nov 29, 2014 04:06 pm

Also new to the forum, read your story and just checking for an update. Did you get your natural delivery? Baby doing well?

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed Nov 12, 2014 05:49 am

So glad to hear you are hanging in there! I've never had the labor I thought I would have at the start of my pregnancies, so I very much empathise with your disappointment with changing your plan. High blood pressure is no bueno for baby, and the risks and complications can increase as you reach and pass 37 weeks. So it's a risk benefit analysis of what is safest for baby based on research that doctors make when we present with pre-e or high blood pressure at 37 + weeks. I'm sure other folks will post with the fancy numbers and link to the study on why inductions are recommended at that point.

Keep in mind, even with an induction, you still have lots of options and you don't have to toss out your entire birth plan. You still have a lot of control and can discuss your plan with your doctor.

Keep posted as you're able.
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

kc295905

Postby kc295905 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 05:54 pm

36 weeks today. bp was 128/90 this morning and it's been hovering around those numbers but diastolic hasn't gotten higher. still no pre e signs and I feel fine. my doctor basically told me to pick a day a week before my due date to be induced. I told her I still don't want to be induced and she said She's hoping I don't have to be but it sounds like if baby doesn't come early on their own she wants to induce. I got kind of caught off guard and didn't say much more but I have another appointment fri. I need to have her explain more to me why she still thinks I need to be induced and obviously if things worsen then I won't question it but right now it seems like everything is the way it was before I got pregnant bc my bp has always run a little high but no one has worried before. Sorry for the rant. I just want to make sure I'm asking the right questions and following the right advice. thanks

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed Nov 05, 2014 00:19 am

Thanks for the update.

Hope your blood pressure behaves itself! Do you have "call in" numbers from your doctor? Blood pressure numbers or symptoms where your doctor would want to be notified? I always found it helpful to know what they wanted to be made aware of ASAP so I didn't have to do the "should I call or should I not call game".

Keep posted as you're able.
:)
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

kc295905

Postby kc295905 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 06:24 pm

35 weeks today! 24 hour urine test came back normal. All my labs are normal. Bp was 122/80 Friday but today it was 138/90. nsts are going well and baby is staying active. I so don't want to be induced :/. hoping bp stays down and/or baby comes on their own around 39 weeks.

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Sun Oct 26, 2014 05:07 am

Sorry to hear your blood pressure is continuing to be elevated. Glad you will start regular monitoring. Depending on how the 24 hour comes back you might also ask for a consult with an MFM, either in person, or that your OB consult with one on your specific care plan.

You might also consider making sure hubby comes to your next appointment with you so he can hear from the MD the seriousness of gestational hypertension and pre-eclampsia. Having a supportive partner who understands the "why" behind the extra appointments, and the symptoms only helps you and baby.

And although an induction isn't a "natural" childbirth per se, no need to give up on your general birth plan. There are still things that you can plan for and request.

Keep posted as you're able,
Lauren

kc295905

Postby kc295905 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:50 pm

My doctor officially diagnosed me with gestational hypertension today. My bp was 132/90 and she doesn't like my diastolic number. She wrote me a script for a bp monitor so I can check at home. No protein in the urine at the moment. No other symptoms yet either. I have to go in for biweekly nsts starting next week and am doing my 24 hour urine test this weekend. She also said she won't let me go past 39 weeks, most likely crushing my hopes of a natural birth. I guess I will just hope I make it that far now. I know it's whatever is safest for baby and me that matters.im also worried about what this means for my cardiovascular health in the future (and future pregnancies). my husband doesn't think it is as serious as it is. Partly due to the fact that I'm a big worrier and known hypochondriac, but I wish he took it more seriously :/.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”