still dealing with the fear

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
ann marie

Re : still dealing with the fear

Postby ann marie » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:02 am

Jenny,

I've had this problem too with my BP. Not to mention when I went into the hospital for my 2 week incision check I got nauseous just from being in the building. Also I had a gallbladder ultrasound about 6 weeks post partum. The smell of the ultrasound gell made me nauseous after so many ultrasounds at the peri's office. I can totally identify with what you are feeling. I'm hoping for myself and for you that the memories will fade over time and it will get easier. Hugs,

Ann Marie (29)Moderator for "Ask the Experienced"
DH: Matt (32)
PIH/PE/Low Amniotic Fluid
Luke 3/17/04--37 weeks after 15 weeks of bedrest

jenny

Postby jenny » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:35 pm

I want to say thank you all so much! My fiance is wonderfully supportive, and he has told me alot of the same things you all have said, but somehow hearing it from you guys makes it sink in more. I just know you have all been where I am, and some to even a worse extent. I thank God that I met up with Julie at one point, and that she directed me here.It is a rare thing to find such a family of support and love, and wisdom in any one place. God bless, and here is to hitting 100/60 and staying there. Wouldn't that be great?!

Jenny(30)
Mommy to Zarse (fullterm)
Holly(fullterm;V.B.A.C.,posterier position)
and Christian ( blood clot at 13 weeks and born at 34+ weeks due to severe P.E. 4.lbs. 4 and 1/4 oz.)

arj

Postby arj » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:14 am

Yep-I'm exactly the same way. As soon as they wrap that sucker on, I just know it's going to be a lousy reading. I had a preconception appt. a few weeks ago and my BP was 140/90, pulse 98. When I take it at home, it's generally 120/70. And when I was newly pregnant with my son and constantly worried about a miscarriage, it was really high. What can you do? I try to relax. I haven't been diagnosed with hypertension either. The only time that I have noticed it consistently low is when I was in EXCELLENT shape from a lot of running. So maybe you can try starting an exercise program and seeing if your BP improves. Just a thought.

Allison (28)
DS-Evan, 7/19/2003. Mild PE at 40 weeks
TTC #2 Early 2005

sactolisa

Postby sactolisa » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:45 am

I know how you feel, because I am the same way. My bp is almost always much higher at the Dr.'s than at home. I had my bp machine checked more than once at my appointments, so I know that it's me and not the machine.

At my appointment a few weeks ago I was 140/82 (which for me at the dr's, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!). At home (unless I'm thinking about going to the doctor) my bp's run about 115-125/65-75. I'm not currently pg or on bp meds.

I had this 'white coat hypertension' before I got pg with my daughter. At my first prenatal appointment my bp was way up (150/90-ish). Little did I know then what I would be in for the rest of the pregnancy...

I haven't figured out anything I can do that really seems to work. I've been taking my bp at the grocery store for 'practice' (since my bp goes up when I'm not at home, like when I'm at the doctor's office) and that is helping. Every time I take it there, I seem to get lower and lower readings. I also tell myself to relax. That I can't really 'control' my bp and it is what it is. My father has htn and I'm guessing I'll be going down that route too, but I haven't been officially diagnosed with it yet, even though that's what they called it during my pregnancy (since my bp's were high so early)

It's good your bp goes down when they recheck it, mine often goes up![:)]

Lisa
Roan Lily 8/15/02 - 36 weeks pih/pe

tammy

Postby tammy » Thu Jul 29, 2004 05:39 am

Definately. I am now 9 months PP and I am now finally getting better going to the doctors and getting my B/p checked. It still funs a little higher then home. In the first 6months are so it was extremely higher at the doctors office. Try to take deep breaths and think good thoughts. Have some comfort that you do know at home your B/p is good. When I finally put that in perspective things started to get better when the nurse put the cuff on my arm. I would be lying if I didn't admit to my stomach still jumping everytime though.

Tammy

Liam 10/26/03/34weeks/PE
Joshua 1/22/92 PE free

angelkat

Postby angelkat » Thu Jul 29, 2004 00:18 am

The fears of PE really never go away. The thoughts and memories will always remind freash in your mind. I always ask for manual blood pressures as the auto ones can be wrong at times. Hope there is not a next time for you have to go and get checked but if so ask for a different room... It just might help....

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/l ... ope&Sort=V

jenny

still dealing with the fear

Postby jenny » Wed Jul 28, 2004 09:56 pm

Hi all, I hope you and your little ones are all doing well. I have a question. I am 6 months post partum now, and after having very severe pre-eclampsia, I have a HUGE fear of having my b/p taken at the dr. or hospital. I have both my mom and fiance check it at home, and we have 2 blood pressure cuffs, both of which have been calabrated within the past week to check for accuracey. At home, my b/p run between 118/66 - 122/68. However, I went to the hospital a couple days back for some ovarian pain I have been having, and I was put in the same room as when I was going through the pre-eclampsia, and I was terrified of having them take my b/p. I had just walked in from the parking lot as well, and was nervous. Well sure enough they got 152/90. They rechecked it in about 10-15 minutes. and it had gone down to 132/73 and then by the time I got back home it was back to my normal. I have become obsessed with it all over again now and I am wondering if any of you now have this same situation. Just the sight of an electronic b/p cuff (like they use at the hosp.) makes me feel panicked.I wondered if any of you experienced the same panic , and how you are dealing. Thanks.

Jenny(30)
Mommy to Zarse (fullterm)
Holly(fullterm;V.B.A.C.,posterier position)
and Christian ( blood clot at 13 weeks and born at 34+ weeks due to severe P.E. 4.lbs. 4 and 1/4 oz.)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”