24 hour result question

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Re: 24 hour result question

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed May 16, 2012 05:57 pm

I'm not sure about things following the same path- so far ours haven't really timing wise, except that things are moving slowly again (thank goodness!).

Our lab schedule is currently blood draws for the full PIH panel weekly and right now 24hrs every other week, unless there was a big change in b/w or symptoms. With our last pregnancy we did 24hrs weekly, I think because it was such a surprise that pre-eclampsia was even an issue for us since we didn't have any issues with our first (though my doctor said maybe because we delivered so early we just didn't have a chance for something to develop) or any hypertensive issues prior.

Hope today's appointment went well and you have a plan that you feel comfortable with.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: 24 hour result question

Postby alviarin » Wed May 16, 2012 03:43 pm

Difficult to say. I'm in a similar boat - 24 hour protein in early pregnancy over 200 mg plus on BP meds. I don't have a non pregnant baseline to compare too though.

My understanding is that they don't routinely run 24 hour urines unless something changes- like an increase in BP readings or new symptoms or postive urine dip. I don't think they are worried about small changes in protein, and it can go up a little due to pregnancy. I belive they are more concerned with changes in order of magnitude- like if it went up by a factor of 10.

Please let us know what your doc says. I plan to ask mine more questions at my appointment tomorrow.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

Iheartjulio

24 hour result question

Postby Iheartjulio » Tue May 15, 2012 04:57 pm

Hi Ladies-
Another question for those of you have BTDT. With my daughter I had my first 24 hour urine done at 26 weeks and it came back at 208. She than ended up having to be delivered due to severe PRE-E at 29 weeks and 5 days. I am now pregnant again and am 24 weeks and 5 days and just did my first 24 hour urine for this pregnancy and it came back at 210 :( I know that is not the worse number and not yet PRE-E zones but i have already been on Blood pressure meds since early in the pregnancy and they told me a few weeks ago I have a 50% chance of it again. My baseline before pregnancy was 108. I guess I am just curious if you guys would think that this means I will mirror my the progression of my last pregnancy since my proteins seem to be rising at about the same point. I know there is no way to know for sure but for those of you who had preE in more than one pregnancy did it follow the same path at all?
I will see my dr tomorrow to go over the results with him but I am just looking for a little feedback from you guys first. Also do you think I should ask for weekly 24 hour urines? Or just go with whatever they say? I am being seen by a MFM team and I have full confidence in them, however I know how fast things can change. And I am trying not to worry too much that I am already seeing rising proteins. Do you guys think this is any cause for alarm? Thanks for any response you care to leave. I guess I am just wanting to talk to women who relate!
[color=#FF0000]Mom to Isabella born 4/20/2011 delivered via c section due to sever Pre-E at 29 weeks 5 days.
Starting TTC again[/color]
MC 09/09/2011

Return to “Ask the Experienced”